PDA

View Full Version : Possible to chain multiple DisplayPort monitors over Thunderbolt port?

AxiomVerge
05-10-2015, 02:33 AM
I'm looking at getting a G751JY-DH72X and a couple of monitors to go with it, possibly a couple of 1440p Samsung 32" monitors like these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001971 (okay maybe not this one exactly since it only has a DP in and not out)

Thing is, though Thunderbolt ports are supposed to accept DisplayPort plugs, I can't seem to tell if you can chain together monitors off of the Thunderbolt port like you can DisplayPort. Most of the information I've found on the web relates to Apple devices and it seems like the for those, the answer is no. But this is not an Apple. Has anyone tried it?

The alternative would be to use HDMI for one monitor and a DisplayPort for the other; it just seemed less elegant to me (more places tto unplug when I take my laptop elsewhere).

Thank you in advance!

Ericvas
05-23-2015, 10:33 PM
Hi.
@AxiomVerge: I hope you don't mind me "hijacking" your thread. :)
But I would also be very interested in this answer!

As I am thinking of adding additional displays to my g751, but I only have one HDMI capable TV for experimentation and no Display Port compatible devices.

Does anyone know how many displays can be connected to the G751?

I use mine primarily for flight simulation and would like to display the outside world on larger HD Screens (if possible 3) and the cockpit instruments on the main laptop display.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

ELZZZORRO
05-24-2015, 07:00 PM
Hi, as far as multiple chain 3 or more monitors I am sure you can with a high end monitor capable - DP in and not out - @Ericvas, as an alternative you can connect 3 external monitors (VGA, HDMI, THUNDERBOLT) and there is a variety of configurations you can use to run FSX. The good news is that with the latest drivers from nvidia you can now use PhysX to Span displays with Surround with your G751.

ELZZZORRO
05-25-2015, 12:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDfESaCsnM