PDA

View Full Version : Display not working

mjpereira76
11-21-2011, 08:14 PM
At work today I was trying to show my colleagues the awesomeness of the G53SX laptop and the screen would not come on. I tried connecting it to my desktop LCD but nothing. I think the video card came loose because I travel with a rolling briefcase and I don't think the laptop likes that extra vibration.

Anyone have any suggestions about how to reseat a loose video card on this model?

JRd1st
11-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Open up the bottom and reseat the HDD's and the RAM you can get at. If that fails you'll need to try reseating the hidden ram. If that doesn't work, remove the battery and start it with just the power brick.

mjpereira76
11-21-2011, 08:41 PM
I tried restarting without the battery and just the power brick but still nothing. I did put in a new SSD in the second hdd slot for data (not boot) and more RAM, but even if they came loose, shouldn't the display at least come up? I can hear Windows chime just can't see it....

BrodyBoy
11-21-2011, 08:46 PM
At work today I was trying to show my colleagues the awesomeness of the G53SX laptop and the screen would not come on. I tried connecting it to my desktop LCD but nothing. I think the video card came loose because I travel with a rolling briefcase and I don't think the laptop likes that extra vibration.

Anyone have any suggestions about how to reseat a loose video card on this model?
I seriously doubt that the video card came loose. Not only are the cards firmly seated in their M/B connectors, but the cooling pipes apply constant downward pressure on the card...and those pipes are very securely attached at several locations. The card really couldn't wiggle loose unless the entire cooling apparatus is removed.

Does it seem like Windows is starting up normally otherwise? I.e., the computer appears to be working but just not displaying anything?

mjpereira76
11-21-2011, 08:50 PM
I can hear the Windows start up chime when it starts up (Windows 7) so I am guessing that it is loading up just fine. I also tried plugging it directly onto my desktop LCD through VGA and nothing. Very frustrating for a day old laptop...

JRd1st
11-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Maybe your video card came loose? :shakes head:

BrodyBoy
11-21-2011, 09:01 PM
I can hear the Windows start up chime when it starts up (Windows 7) so I am guessing that it is loading up just fine. I also tried plugging it directly onto my desktop LCD through VGA and nothing. Very frustrating for a day old laptop...
Is it already set up to use an external monitor? (They won't just automatically detect it and use it when you plug it in. ) There's a Fn+F8 switch to switch to the external monitor, but I'm not even sure if that works unless you've already set up the driver for that.

So you're not even seeing the Asus post logo?....nothing at all ever appears on the display panel? If you have any kind of bootable disc (like a Windows installer), you might try booting from that to see if you get anything. If the display never so much as blinks, I'd have to guess that the card has failed, or maybe, a connector is loose. (Card failure seems more likely to me, considering that the connectors are pretty secure.)

BrodyBoy
11-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Since you just bought it, how about exchanging it for a different one? If something's defective, don't bother with an RMA. Just get a new one that isn't defective.

mjpereira76
11-21-2011, 09:08 PM
No post screen, nothing, that is why I am thinking it has to be the video card--either loose or defective. As for the external monitor, I tried the Fn-F8 and nothing. I guess I need to just exchange it at the store.... PITA especially since I need to remove my SSD that I put and the extra RAM.

Cjbbruns1
11-21-2011, 09:11 PM
I have the same problem but with the g73: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5792-G73-black-screen-no-display

I recommend returning it for a new one.. I tried almost everything to fix mine and I am finally Rma'ing it.

mjpereira76
11-21-2011, 09:26 PM
That's what I am going to do. I got mine at a Micro Center so they will exchange it. Part of me wonders if I should just get my money back...

Only thing I can of is that I use a rolling briefcase and maybe the vibration caused something to go haywire inside and if that is the case then these things are pretty weak...I have lugged around my Dell D630 for months in the bag and no problems whatsoever.

BrodyBoy
11-21-2011, 10:55 PM
That's what I am going to do. I got mine at a Micro Center so they will exchange it. Part of me wonders if I should just get my money back...

Only thing I can of is that I use a rolling briefcase and maybe the vibration caused something to go haywire inside and if that is the case then these things are pretty weak...I have lugged around my Dell D630 for months in the bag and no problems whatsoever.
I think it's more likely that the card was defective and simply failed once you started to use it. I believe this is generally true of all electronics and their components....hardware failures tend to manifest within the first 30 days or so.

mjpereira76
11-22-2011, 12:59 AM
Well, guess what. I got home, took it apart to reclaim my parts, put in the old drive, got it all back in place and decided, let's see if it works. And wouldn't you know it, it did! So I added back my parts, turned on the machine and VIOLA! it posted! I think what happened is that using my rolling briefcase jostled the harddrive and it caused some sort of malfunction...whatever it was, its fixed and now I am investing in a backpack.

Thank you all for your advice and input! I really hope this laptop works out because for the price it really has some great features. I use it for developer work and nothing else out there will take 16GB at this price range, not to mention the ability to add 2 hdds.

LESSON LEARNED: DON'T USE ROLLING BRIEFCASES TO TRANSPORT YOUR G53S....

JRd1st
11-22-2011, 01:04 AM
Lol, I knew it!

Well, good for you! :D

mjpereira76
11-22-2011, 02:59 AM
You sure did. I'm just glad it was something simple.

dstrakele
11-22-2011, 04:36 AM
At work today I was trying to show my colleagues the awesomeness of the G53SX laptop and the screen would not come on.

Goes to show ya - don't EVER try to show off a new computer, cell phone, or any other high-tech gadget to ANYBODY! It's the kiss of death... ;>{)>

Glad to hear you resolved the problem!

JRd1st
11-22-2011, 05:42 AM
So true, so true. Lol

boban
02-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Well, guess what. I got home, took it apart to reclaim my parts, put in the old drive, got it all back in place and decided, let's see if it works. And wouldn't you know it, it did! So I added back my parts, turned on the machine and VIOLA! it posted! I think what happened is that using my rolling briefcase jostled the harddrive and it caused some sort of malfunction...whatever it was, its fixed and now I am investing in a backpack.

Thank you all for your advice and input! I really hope this laptop works out because for the price it really has some great features. I use it for developer work and nothing else out there will take 16GB at this price range, not to mention the ability to add 2 hdds.

LESSON LEARNED: DON'T USE ROLLING BRIEFCASES TO TRANSPORT YOUR G53S....

Hi! Just joined in here searching for the same issue as you had. I have a question for you: did the issue with black screen reoccur? I bought g53s just a week ago and today I had the problem with black screen (I heard that windows was booting, but nothing was displayed from the boot). Finally, after a few reboots, removal of batter and moving the laptop around the screen returned to normal.

The store I've bought have a nice policy though - they will replace invalid unit with new one in 10 days after buying. So even if it is working I consider replacing it. The question is if you had another problem with the screen after a while?

Best regards
bOBaN

PS. And I have a proper backpack, so it shouldn't be a problem with improper transportation method...

infinixier
06-18-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm here to share about my problems related to this.

I have a G53SW laptop, and I have the same problem about the black screen monitor.
I bought the laptop in june 2011 and, this month is its 1st anniversary. I had my laptop to be fixed about this same problem about 2-3 times.

1st problem appeared when I had finished using my laptop at night and want to start using it again at morning. But the screen didnt show anything. I could hear the windows opening sound, and I swear everything should be fine. I assumed that something wrong with the video cable.. I guessed. I put the laptop down to my bag for several hours, and just try if some miracle happened to my laptop. And it was for real, my laptop start normal again..

2nd problem appeared about several months later after the 1st problem. But I didnt get any miracle in this part. I waited and tried day by day, but the monitor still showed black. So I bring it to the nearest official asus service center. Unluckily(*or maybe luckily), the laptop ran fine when I showed it to the engineer. (Was I trolled by my own laptop?!) So I bring it home and start to use it again normally.

3rd problem appeared about several weeks later after the 2nd problem. day by day. Then I bring it again to the service center. Yeah at that time, the laptop still showed black screen (Thx God, I wasn't being trolled by my Laptop). So my Laptop was saved at the service center about 4 weeks, The engineer said that they should changed the motherboard. And of course I'm asking about what happened to it? But I didnt get the expected answer, they just told me something wrong with it and with that, so we need to change the motherboard. Ok, fine.. at least I still have some hope..

Today, I finished working at 18:00 and plan to restart my laptop before I go home. Suddenly I felt something wrong, My monitor showed black screen again though I heard the window sound of the laptop.. What?!?! I tried to turn it off, on and see maybe something good will happened. But nothing happened. And now at 12:31am (about six hours from the problem time), I try to turn on again my laptop. And awesome, My laptop become normal again.

So what do you guys think about this? I'm tired to bring it out to the service center, besides I really need this laptop for my work right now. I am dissapointed since I decided to buy this product, I assumed it should be better than other asus laptop. But It goes like this.. Hope from the ASUS team can summary all of our problem, and bring out a research to fulfill the customer problem about their products.. Thanks

dstrakele
06-18-2012, 07:34 PM
The "boot to black screen" issue is one of the toughest I've seen on this forum. It is almost always a hardware problem. Some resolve it by reseating the memory. Some by reseating the LVDS cable connection. Some resolve it by reseating or replacing the GPU. Others resolve it by completely disassembling their laptop down to removing the CMOS battery, Some have to send it in to get the laptop repaired.

Some owners discharge their laptops by unplugging, removing the battery and any peripheral devices, holding the Power On button down for 30 seconds, then plugging in and starting the system. But I've never seen this to be more than a temporary fix. I think discharging of the laptop while it waits to be serviced, is one of the reasons it is not reproduced at the Service Center.

You've had your motherboard replaced, probably for a lack of anything better to do and unfortunately, it did not permanently resolve your problem. THe intermittent nature of the issue, as well as the possible mutltiple causes, makes it very difficult to troubleshoot.

I've personally wondered if the computer housing is bent in such a way, that once the laptop's screws are tightened, it exerts pressure on a component to unseat it over time, or to create an electrical short.

If you connect your laptop to an external monitor or HDTV, you can troubleshoot the issue further. If the external monitor displays video while the laptop display does not, it indicates the issue most likely lies with the LVDS cable or its connection to the motherboard. If both fail to display video, the GPU may be faulty or poorly-seated.

I wish I had more to help with this issue, but I don't.

backdrift
06-18-2012, 08:08 PM
The "boot to black screen" issue is one of the toughest I've seen on this forum. It is almost always a hardware problem. Some resolve it by reseating the memory. Some by reseating the LVDS cable connection. Some resolve it by reseating or replacing the GPU. Others resolve it by completely disassembling their laptop down to removing the CMOS battery, Some have to send it in to get the laptop repaired.

Some owners discharge their laptops by unplugging, removing the battery and any peripheral devices, holding the Power On button down for 30 seconds, then plugging in and starting the system. But I've never seen this to be more than a temporary fix. I think discharging of the laptop while it waits to be serviced, is one of the reasons it is not reproduced at the Service Center.

You've had your motherboard replaced, probably for a lack of anything better to do and unfortunately, it did not permanently resolve your problem. THe intermittent nature of the issue, as well as the possible mutltiple causes, makes it very difficult to troubleshoot.

I've personally wondered if the computer housing is bent in such a way, that once the laptop's screws are tightened, it exerts pressure on a component to unseat it over time, or to create an electrical short.

If you connect your laptop to an external monitor or HDTV, you can troubleshoot the issue further. If the external monitor displays video while the laptop display does not, it indicates the issue most likely lies with the LVDS cable or its connection to the motherboard. If both fail to display video, the GPU may be faulty or poorly-seated.

I wish I had more to help with this issue, but I don't.

Some of this is and is not correct. I doubt that an electrical short would cause the issue. If there is a short any where in the system that would utilize power off of the motherboard, the safety measures built in would cause the machine to simply not boot up. Anything contained within the PSU area (which would basically be internal components connected to and using power off of the mobo) shorting would more than likely cause the system to just not work in general. No power, no boot, nothing. If it does boot, and there is a short, expect many other problems such as Memory, CPU, and hardware malfunctions. The CPU usually just doesn't start when a short is detected.

However, the points about the LVDS cable and issues displaying video are mostly accurate. I am experiencing the same issues here, with no display (via the laptop display or any other video ports). I noticed some strange problems upon reseating the GPU, and toggling that around seems to affect (positively and negatively) the display and its intermittence. If it's on warranty, I would blame the GPU and see if you can get it replaced. If it's not on warranty, ebay a GTX460m or your model's standard card and replace it your self.

dstrakele
06-18-2012, 08:42 PM
I was using "electrical short" to describe the black screen issue in http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=mhvlgn&s=5. In this case, the user holds onto a metal radiator in the room and touches the exposed LVDS cable to produce video on the display. Would this be better described as "poor grounding"?

iamthehitch
01-28-2013, 07:22 AM
Just wanted to add on to this thread since I had the very same issue with my G53s and was moments from sending it in to to jaw serviced under warranty. (RMA).

I had bought 2x 4GB RAM sticks to boost my laptop from 8 to 16 GB. So I went online and found a video detailing how to completely disassemble the laptop. I did this (took me about 3 hrs) and removed every piece down to the motherboard. I added my new RAM and went in reverse putting it all back together. Started it up and voila!

Perhaps the HDD came loose or some other ribbon etc. whatever the fault, no more black screen and runs faster with the upgraded RAM!

Note: interestingly enough, I had the SAME cause of this as the thread originator. For the first time ever I had transported my laptop to work. No dropping or anything but I did have it in a bag as I went from place to place. Makes me this items are coming loose far too easy and that would be an ASUS problem. My advice, never take this laptop out of your home and be VERY careful when moving it, pretend its an infant child!

DyreVaa
04-19-2014, 06:36 PM
Hello guys!

Computer: Asus G53SX with a 560m.

Its been a while since the black screen problem was a hot topic here, but ive been struggling with it a while now. I bought the computer early in 2012, and about a year later i got the problem after transporting the laptop in the backpack that came with the computer. Im sure it did not get hit or damaged in any way, but the vibration of travel seems to have been enough.

Like a lot of you, the sceen does not display on another screen or on anything else. Windows starts up normal in the background. There was no way to turn the screen on - until i read the advice about lifting the laptop from the right corner. The pressure then is from the right corner and straight across. I have turned on the screen dozens of times like this. After travel its 50-50 if i have to do it, and lately it has gotten worse - carefully moving the computer from one room to another can be enough to bring back the black screen now. It also takes more attempts to get it to turn back on again. If screen comes on, it works fine until the computer is moved.

So, obviously something has been shaken just enough that the GPU doesent work, but it has not been shaken so much that its broken. During the last year i havent really had the time to be without my computer for 3-4 weeks for the RMA. Also, the chances of everything working perfectly after the computer being shaken in the mail would have been around 50-50. I just couldent take the annoyment of getting it back with a note about it working perfectly.

Short story long, but now i want to open the thing myself and see if i can tighten whatever is loose. Ive seen some people write that some screws are loose, while others think its some kind of short because the metal plate under the keyboard is pressing on the gpu or its cable. They fixed this by putting some plastic between metal and gpu. Both are kind of consistent with the computer working when i holde it from the right corner. The pressure from holding it that way does spread across the whole thing, though. And i need som advice:

What am i looking for when i open it up? What steps should i take while its open to make sure i fix all possibilities? Im really looking for some advice from those of you who have had this thing open, and preferably have fixed the issue. I know opening this thing, even to put in an extra hard drive, is a major pita. How deep do i need to go to see the GPU? Is it located in the lower right corner?

Whatever advice you guys have, it would really be appreciated. Apart from the black screen issue, i really love this laptop.