PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: What if my SSD is NOT the boot drive?

kvancamp
05-12-2015, 03:32 AM
Ok, I've read about the advantages of having an SSD so I was really happy when I found a new ROG G750JX at a good price, and it came with 256GB SSD and a 2TB HDD. I bought it for my son, who is studying drafting and using AutoCAD, and someday hopefully Revit, so the fast graphics, multi-core processor, and 32GB RAM seemed like a good fit.

The trouble is, the SSD C: partition is quite small (95GB) and there's lots of software that does not give him any option to install anywhere except the C: drive (MS Office, CyberLink PowerDirector and Google Chrome to name a few). I walked him through moving his Documents/Pictures/etc to the E: (HDD) drive but still he's out of space.

I've read about poking the registry to force Windows to relocate the Program Files on a different hard drive, but I am not too confident about updating the registry. And my son is quite far away at college where I can't easily help him should problems arise.

So I'm thinking of doing the unthinkable - walk him through installing Windows on the HDD and make it the C: drive, and just leave the SSD as D:/E: where he can install AutoCAD and Revit, and maybe relocate the swap files there.

If I do this, how noticeable will the slowdown be? I feel like we managed to live with HDD's for years, and this is already going to be by far the fastest computer either my son or I has ever owned, so if this is a low maintenance alternative, why not?

Looking for advice...

code9523
05-12-2015, 04:00 AM
If you want you can backup your windows using back tracker. Then you should use program RW everything to write down your windows key which is located in bios. Call to Microsoft and ask them about a link for copy of windows that matches to your key. They should email you with it. Crate a dvd or usb bootable disk and reinstall a clean windows 8.1 with deleting all your ssd partitions. After installation activate windows by phone (or sometimes it activates automaticly when connected to the internet) even if you have win8 key you can activate win8.1 using it! After all you'll get a clean installed windows on your laptop and also there will be no unnecessary apps installed by asus! I done the same several days ago and everything works fine and my windows is activated as it should be without paying anything!

P.S. If you have 32GB of ram you can disable hibernation as it reserve 32GB on your system drive and you cant use this space! Run CMD and use this command: powercfg -h off

Maxter
05-12-2015, 10:04 PM
you can extend the partition of the C: drive (SSD) to be bigger than 95GB. I would extend it to the full length of the drive. There is no need to partition the SSD.
If you were to reinstall everything into the HDD, truth is that Win8/8.1 is pretty fast already (with fastboot option enabled). The loading time will increase from 5 seconds (that's what I get) to about 20-30 seconds.

I recommend to extend the partition. Search for "computer management" program (WIN+R, type compmgmt.msc). This will bring the window up on the desktop. Click in the Disk Management option under Storage (on the left hand side).
Here's your partitions. The SSD is probably "Disk 0". You should have more than one partition. You probably have a C: and D: partitions amongst all of them. I would delete the D: partition and extend the C: partition.
If you don't know about re-partitioning drives, I suggest you read about the topic before you do what I wrote above. You can accidentally erase the main partition (then you would have to reinstall everything from scratch and you would lose all information.
Follow the advice from code9523 above (backup the computer) before performing this, just in case.
If you decide to re-install from backtracker, you can tell the instalation to use the entire volume of Disk 0 (as in 1 partition for system files).

kvancamp
05-13-2015, 02:02 AM
Thanks for all the helpful advice! One note about the SSD: I thought I had a 256GB SSD but according to the Asus technician my son talked to, the system comes with 2x128GB SSD's and they set them up in a RAID configuration; that is why I have the separate C: and D: drives. So combining the partitions is not desirable, or I will lose the RAID advantage.

GottiBoi55
05-13-2015, 04:19 PM
Thanks for all the helpful advice! One note about the SSD: I thought I had a 256GB SSD but according to the Asus technician my son talked to, the system comes with 2x128GB SSD's and they set them up in a RAID configuration; that is why I have the separate C: and D: drives. So combining the partitions is not desirable, or I will lose the RAID advantage.

Hi kvancamp, and welcome to the Asus ROG forum.
Yes, you have two M.2 SSD 128 GB drives, but you can extend both the SSD drive partitions, C, and D into one 256GB (216.3 useable) drive Partition in RAID0.
(This procedure will not effect the RAIDO configuration for the OS/Drive C, RAID0 will still be in effect, I did this on my G750JZ)
Would be a good idea to create the "Asus Backtracker USB recovery drive" first, just in case something goes wrong.(link below)
( the Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0 Flash drive 16GB works really well)

Backtracker V3.0.8 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win8.1/Backtracker/BackTracker_Win81_64_VER308.zip?_ga=1.106327491.17 80248560.1431533209)

1. Right click on the Windows icon (bottom left)
2. Next click on Disk Management
3. Right click on Drive D, then select "delete Volume".
4. Right click on Drive C, then select "Extend Volume".
5. Next follow the prompts for Extending the drive C. (just use the default extend setting that is automatically set by Windows)

Once you do this procedure you will have one larger C drive.(216.3 GB, useable)
For some reason Asus has set up the RAID configuration into "two partitions".
Asus is a little partition crazy, they love to make many partitions on the there NBs.
But to make two partitions for a small RAID configuration of 128GB x2 M.2 SSD don't make too much sense to me.
One other thing, if you can move/reinstall programs (you don't use regularly) to one of the DATA partitions would help greatly with freeing up some space on the C Drive.
For example I installed all my Games to a DATA partition F, witch I renamed to "Games" , these days game files are very large (30,40,50 GB, or larger)
There no Performance hit by doing so (Google it), just load times are little slower, but if you have "Shader Cache" enabled in the Nvidia control panel, that will help a lot on load times.
The other DATA partition E is for Music, Photos, and any other DATA files that takes up a lot of space.

Hope this helps you my friend?

kvancamp
05-14-2015, 01:41 AM
This is great information to have, I will try it. Thanks!

GottiBoi55
05-14-2015, 02:51 AM
You Welcome, come back and give us a update on how things are going.

kvancamp
06-02-2015, 02:50 AM
Sorry I took so long getting back, but it was a while before I was able to visit my son and reconfigure his laptop. I followed the instructions of Maxter and GottiBoi55 and successfully combined the C: and D: paritions into a single partition of about 210GB. Great!!! The only snag I hit was that after deleting the D: volume, Windows Disk Management refused to extend the C: partition (it was greyed out). A little research determined that the partitions were not contguous, because there was a recovery partition located between the two. I wound up downloading the free MiniTool Partition Recovery tool (http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Partition-Recovery/3000-2248_4-75206486.html) and then was able to first reclaim the recovery partition, combine it with my D: partition, and then finally combine them all together.

Also, I found after upgrading to Windows 8.1, that Windows had reduced the size of the paging file from 32GB down to about a quarter of that size, so I didn't need to do as code9523 suggested and disable hibernation. This freed up more space on his new and bigger C: drive! Finally, we moved all of his Document/Photo/Video/etc. folders onto the larger HDD. So we're very happy, and optimistic that as long as he is diligent about installing all new apps onto the HDD, we should be able to keep the SSD as the boot device and continue to have the amazing fast performance.

Thanks again for all the help!