PDA

View Full Version : GL771JM: Horrible gradient banding?

Frankenweenie
05-14-2015, 08:25 AM
If I create a Google Slides presentation and select the Light Gradient background, the banding is just absolutely horrible. I've noticed this issue when creating gradients for artwork as well.

I've already uninstalled ASUS' terrible Splendid program that destroyed my colors, but this gradient banding is something I can't figure out.
I've updated my NVIDIA and Intel graphics drivers multiple times to make sure they're up-to-date and it does nothing. I've messed with their settings as much as I could - everything I can find is set on the highest quality I can. And yet my friend's 4-year-old laptop still shows gradients a thousand times better than this garbage.
I don't understand what the problem could be - is it some ASUS software, the monitor itself (in which case, if any other GL771JM owners can please chime in and try creating a Google Slides presentation with the Light Gradient Theme and saying if you experience banding), Intel drivers, NVIDIA drivers, what?

This laptop manages to get me angry more and more every time I use it. I have not a single good thing to say about it. After I'm done with my classes, I'm going to sell it. Until then, I'm hoping to get a solution to this awful banding problem.

ROGTWAT
05-14-2015, 09:14 AM
Please tell me if this image has banding too:

ROGTWAT
05-14-2015, 09:16 AM
And then this:

Frankenweenie
05-14-2015, 07:49 PM
The first image has no banding - looks like there's noise in it that would help with banding.

On the second image, the left has banding and the right has significantly less banding, but still a bit of banding.

This pin that I'm working on has banding that I can notice, and yet doesn't exist on my friend's monitor:

ROGTWAT
05-14-2015, 08:54 PM
I am on a G751JY and that pin has no banding whatsoever. The above are the same here, no, a lot and significantly less banding so something is different about our displays. Wanna swap? Mine can't do white evenly^^

Frankenweenie
05-15-2015, 01:01 AM
No, lol. I'm 100% done with ASUS after this semester. I guess the banding is just more of ASUS' le-top-notch quality. I'll be selling it and buying some better, specifically non-ASUS. I've never touched an ASUS product before I bought this laptop and I had heard from many friends that ASUS was a quality brand and so far I've seen nothing good from this laptop, only frustration.

I'm an artist and I need a good monitor, I'm not going to put up with anymore of this. My old laptop died right in the middle of finals so I bought this ASUS laptop as an impulse because I needed to finish my projects and Newegg said it was an "IPS monitor" (turns out Newegg was full of **** and lies.) I'll have time to properly shop for something that isn't garbage after I'm done with college.

ROGTWAT
05-15-2015, 10:43 AM
This machine is NOT suitable for any image editing, period. It is tailored towards gaming and with that, it works very well. I don't see any discoloration when gaming, considering to get an additional monitor for editing though.