PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G74S sound buzzing?

dashdot
11-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Ive had my G74S for some months now.
and I wasnt really paying attention to it in the begining. But now Ive started to
get really annoyed that the speakers is leaving some buzzing sound when I listen to some kind of music/video's.

And no. I havnt destroyed the speakers. I normally use them at 40% sound as maximum.
Is this a normal problem with the g74s series? because Ive seen another thread about this.

Would they fix it if I RMA it? or would it get back "fixed" but with same problems still :P?
(bad experience from repairs xD)

JRd1st
11-22-2011, 11:34 AM
I don't know if they would fix it or not. Do it yourself would be your best bet and fastest, too - http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/616055-how-disassemble-g74sx-reduce-speaker-vibrations-photos.html

BrodyBoy
11-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Ive had my G74S for some months now.
and I wasnt really paying attention to it in the begining. But now Ive started to
get really annoyed that the speakers is leaving some buzzing sound when I listen to some kind of music/video's.

And no. I havnt destroyed the speakers. I normally use them at 40% sound as maximum.
Is this a normal problem with the g74s series? because Ive seen another thread about this.

Would they fix it if I RMA it? or would it get back "fixed" but with same problems still :P?
(bad experience from repairs xD)Does this buzzing sound strike you as that kind of sound speakers themselves emit when they're shot, or more like a physical vibration (of the speakers or something around them) caused by the sound waves?

ALso, does it seem like both speakers are doing it, or mostly just one?

BrodyBoy
11-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Do it yourself would be your best bet and fastest, too - http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/616055-how-disassemble-g74sx-reduce-speaker-vibrations-photos.html
That's certainly true if it's the same problem that Hendrickson had....a foreign piece of plastic sitting in there over the speaker.....but I suspect that particular cause is fairly rare. (His "symptoms" were pretty extreme, too.)

These are pretty low quality speakers, from what I can tell, so I don't think it'd be hard to overdrive them to the point of permanent damage. That could cause that kind of inescapable, damaged-speaker hiss/buzz that accompanies the audio and sounds hideous.

Alternately, a speaker assembly could be loose enough to allow vibrations to impact adjacent components. This would likely be associated with a rattle/buzz that increases with volume. In this case, there are particular screws which can tighten up the whole assembly and alleviate the problem.

JRd1st
11-22-2011, 12:16 PM
No, the plastic was over his fan. His problem was loose screws and plastic on plastic with no soft "gasket" material insulating against vibrations.

Read

dashdot
11-22-2011, 01:48 PM
well. the buzzing aint always there. It depends on which kind of sound it is. It even sounds on quite low volume sometimes.

It isnt a cracking-sound or something like that.. its sounds more like a vibration sound. Its annoying like hell anyways.
And as I said. They are most likely not damaged, sinice I dont use them over 40% volume. which they should work for <.<. lol.

dashdot
11-22-2011, 01:54 PM
I played some music at 40% volume and I didnt hear it.
so I went to this clip for example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7jy5xKOoqg&feature=player_embedded. It started of directly when she started to speak.
It sounds like some "metallic-vibrating-sound" Its really annoying.
BUt the speakers doesnt really sound like they would be damaged

dashdot
11-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Would like to add that the sound is coming from the right part mostly.

JRd1st
11-22-2011, 02:15 PM
As I said in the beginning, either RAM it or fix it your self, which is more of a sure thing - http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/616055-how-disassemble-g74sx-reduce-speaker-vibrations-photos.html

dashdot
11-22-2011, 03:43 PM
im quite sure that I would break the warranty if I did that:/
atleast if I mess up while doing it

JRd1st
11-22-2011, 04:01 PM
No, only removing the sticker on the heat sink automatically breaks the warranty. Unless you obviously mess up real bad . . .

If you're gonna RMA it, print out that procedure and include it because in my opinion, the people at most of these places are clueless . . . :\

dashdot
11-22-2011, 05:15 PM
I checked the guide on how to fix it. But It didnt feel like he had listed every step.
And Im more used to fix desktops :p (obviously more ez)

I might try to fix it. but then again. Would feel better if ASUS did this for me xD

But Im quite sure theyll send it back and the log would look like "we did nothing, your speakers is working like they should"
*FACEPALM*

JRd1st
11-22-2011, 05:33 PM
That's what I mean. I only know of one person that does Asus brepairs that I trust more than myself doing a repair, and that's Chastity. But she doesn't do European or Scandinavian repairs.

I just ordered some thermal paste to repaste my cpu/gpu, so ill be going inside my laptop for the first time too. Use the right tools and be careful and you should be ok.

dashdot
11-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Guess I'll have to order a set with screwdrivers and other computer tools then :>

BrodyBoy
11-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Guess I'll have to order a set with screwdrivers and other computer tools then :>

Let me know if you have any questions....I've probably disassembled this model about a dozen times now. (I've got tons of photos, if you need any.) It's actually pretty easy, though unfortunately, the right speaker is sort of tucked under the M/B a bit. Hopefully, you won't have to pull the M/B, but even if you do, it's not that bad.