PDA

View Full Version : Will buy G751 JT/JY soon Questions/known issues with these models

sasuke256
05-14-2015, 07:37 PM
Hello,
I just sold my G750JW so I'm buying a new machine, thought about MSI and then said noooo I can'T leave ASUS, so G751JT/JY are waiting for me,
I have questions, How about the audio problem, is it fixed ? is it on JY and JT ?
3gigs of VRAM do not limit the potential of this card ?
the plastic of palmrest of G751 series isnt bad compared to the aluminum ?
Thanks !

bhaviljain68
05-15-2015, 06:29 AM
Hey mate,

First off, good decision to stick with asus.
I own a 751 JY, bought it this January. it has i7 4710, 24 GB ddr3 ram and GTX980. I'm assuming that u are buying this for gaming purposes.
Now, call it a coincidence or whatever, I just installed GTA 5 last night and i see this thread here today morning.
I was baffled by the performance of this beast. All settings MAX running at 60 FPS, and whats the kicker? my temps never hit even 70 degrees. Trust me when i say this mate... its next to desktop performance. games like ACU, FC4, DA: Inquisition all of them run amazingly smooth on this, though u have to lower the settings on some games as they are nt ported properly from console, like ACU, thats the developer's fault but all of us know that Rockstar games took their time to launch the PC version of GTA 5 and its a job well done. So in terms of performance u have nothing to worry about.

As for the audio issue, yes it is fixed as far as i can say, i dont think the audio on my laptop is phenomenal, bt at the same time its nothing less than optimal. i watch movies, tv shows, play games and the speakers suffice for me.

Well, hope this helps. :)

ROGTWAT
05-15-2015, 10:39 AM
I have no trouble with the audio. It's okay. Just fiddle around with different settings in the Audio Wizard. I use this setting:

Edweird
05-15-2015, 11:29 AM
The audio problem he's referring to is the issue where the bass speaker was overpowering the smaller ones behind the screen, which led to distortions and overall L/R disbalanced.

This issue was remedied with some adjustments and a slider added in the playback device screen that lets you adjust the internal subwoofer volume to taste. 50%-75% is ideal in my case. :)

Other than that, all the rest of the issues have more or less been fixed with BIOS updates. You may find the keyboard backlight less than ideally bright because of the color of the symbols on the keys. Many people complained about the macro/steam/shadownplay keys ont he top row but in my 5-6 months of use, I've hit those buttons by accident exactly twice. Some smart forum users have found way to remap those to your liking, as well. Cleaning the surfaces of the laptop is also a tad annoying after a while but to me its a fair trade considering how comfortable soft touch tends to be. I prefer it comfort-wise to the 750. Also, the 3 gigs of vram are for the 970 models. G751JY gets a GTX980M with 4gb of video memory.

Also, doing this general curve with the equalizer gives better results in my opinion. Also set MaxxBass a bit lower and MaxxTreble a bit higher with setting the bass EQ a little higher and also peaking up the 8k freq by a bit.
It's also worth having a poke around Realtek Sound Manager to get some of the loudness equalization stuff on etc.

Asoryu
05-15-2015, 01:43 PM
Other than that, all the rest of the issues have more or less been fixed with BIOS updates.

We have yet to see an answer on the Backtracker issues and their keyboards have very serious ghosting issues that have not been addressed directly which is probably the result of the use of a cheaper keyboard that doesn't support NKRO. Key ghosting of this type prevents this machine from being a top performer in the world of gaming laptops.

I would do more research on these before you choose to invest in them. My experience trying to get issues solved through ASUS tech support has been 3 months long so far and I've yet to have any of my issues resolved.

diogogmaio
05-15-2015, 02:50 PM
I have no trouble with the audio. It's okay. Just fiddle around with different settings in the Audio Wizard. I use this setting:

Please what are your windows sound settings slider config and driver version??? I am having so much distortion.

diogogmaio
05-15-2015, 02:51 PM
The audio problem he's referring to is the issue where the bass speaker was overpowering the smaller ones behind the screen, which led to distortions and overall L/R disbalanced.

This issue was remedied with some adjustments and a slider added in the playback device screen that lets you adjust the internal subwoofer volume to taste. 50%-75% is ideal in my case. :)

Other than that, all the rest of the issues have more or less been fixed with BIOS updates. You may find the keyboard backlight less than ideally bright because of the color of the symbols on the keys. Many people complained about the macro/steam/shadownplay keys ont he top row but in my 5-6 months of use, I've hit those buttons by accident exactly twice. Some smart forum users have found way to remap those to your liking, as well. Cleaning the surfaces of the laptop is also a tad annoying after a while but to me its a fair trade considering how comfortable soft touch tends to be. I prefer it comfort-wise to the 750. Also, the 3 gigs of vram are for the 970 models. G751JY gets a GTX980M with 4gb of video memory.

Also, doing this general curve with the equalizer gives better results in my opinion. Also set MaxxBass a bit lower and MaxxTreble a bit higher with setting the bass EQ a little higher and also peaking up the 8k freq by a bit.
It's also worth having a poke around Realtek Sound Manager to get some of the loudness equalization stuff on etc.

Please what are your windows sound settings slider config and driver version??? I am having so much distortion.

Edweird
05-15-2015, 03:33 PM
We have yet to see an answer on the Backtracker issues and their keyboards have very serious ghosting issues that have not been addressed directly which is probably the result of the use of a cheaper keyboard that doesn't support NKRO. Key ghosting of this type prevents this machine from being a top performer in the world of gaming laptops.

I would do more research on these before you choose to invest in them. My experience trying to get issues solved through ASUS tech support has been 3 months long so far and I've yet to have any of my issues resolved.

Hmm ... true. There are other software solutions that achieve similar results, however. For the keyboard - it seems to have as much/little ghosting as any other notebook keyboard I've seen. While it doesn't have N-key rollover, I have managed quite fine without that feature. The keyboard itself I find to be fantastic. It feels great to me and the key travel is excellent.

MSI's SteelSeries keyboards probably have it beat there. N-key rollover is a specific of a certain frame of gaming, though. Most games that i can think of don't really need it.

I can only hope that the frightening horror stories behind ASUS support won't affect me as I wait for my G751JY's RMA to complete. If they fix that, I wouldn't see any reason to not go for ASUS every time. So far, I've been reasonably lucky, I guess. (Except the failed BIOS flash that stopped mid-deletion...)

Asoryu
05-15-2015, 04:23 PM
Hmm ... true. There are other software solutions that achieve similar results, however. For the keyboard - it seems to have as much/little ghosting as any other notebook keyboard I've seen. While it doesn't have N-key rollover, I have managed quite fine without that feature. The keyboard itself I find to be fantastic. It feels great to me and the key travel is excellent.

MSI's SteelSeries keyboards probably have it beat there. N-key rollover is a specific of a certain frame of gaming, though. Most games that i can think of don't really need it.

I can only hope that the frightening horror stories behind ASUS support won't affect me as I wait for my G751JY's RMA to complete. If they fix that, I wouldn't see any reason to not go for ASUS every time. So far, I've been reasonably lucky, I guess. (Except the failed BIOS flash that stopped mid-deletion...)

MMO, and FPS games are probably the two most common games played and both require key combos. Shift+E+Space is a dead key on the 751jt, so unless you use the rookie WASD keys you're not playing an FPS. A gaming keyboard should be able to handle at least a single modifier key and 2 regular keys at all times and especially should be able to handle shift+anykey+space inside the left hand home row.

They will probably do fine fixing the bios issue, but anything outside of simple fixes for their tech support seems to be a struggle.

diogogmaio
05-15-2015, 04:36 PM

This setting doesn't work to me. what your values for the sliders in windows sound settings? And what equalizer?

ROGTWAT
05-15-2015, 06:23 PM
I haven't done any changes to the system's audio settings.

diogogmaio
05-16-2015, 04:56 PM
I haven't done any changes to the system's audio settings.

Really? that's so cool. So if i do your setup in my PC i get very high distortion and vibrance in sound. And if i enable max leveler it gets even worse. But i'm happy that you can do that settings. But the rest of us don't. Nice perfect audio for you mate. you don't even have any enhancements like loudness eq, any equalyzer type, room correction?

ROGTWAT
05-16-2015, 05:45 PM
If I pull it up to 100% then yes, I do get distortion as well but on 50% it's fine. I use different settings for headphones which the notebook amazingly remembers and applies automatically, love that.

There are some frequencies that induce a vibration on the chassis but none of the EQ presets can narrow it down without taking all the presence out of the sound so I am staying with this setting. Frankly, I would not expect HiFi Quality from this unit, it is OK for a LAPTOP but it wont satisfy music geeks.

I am on Realtek High Definition Audio Driver 6.0.1.7432 (on a G751JY)

sasuke256
05-16-2015, 07:32 PM
What ghosting keyboard problem can someone make it more clear to me, thanks !

Asoryu
05-18-2015, 03:27 PM
What ghosting keyboard problem can someone make it more clear to me, thanks !

It means when you press some combinations of keys the keys do not work. In my case Shift+E+Space which happens to stop me from running and jumping in my games(Shift+E works as soon as I hit space everything stops). I haven't tested all of the keys because my laptop is being repaired since it came defective from the factory but there is no reason for there to be ghosting on a gaming rig when you only press 1 modifier and 2 keys.

sasuke256
05-18-2015, 08:42 PM
Unacceptable for a Gamaing laptop !
Audio is still buggy as I can read, Why Asus why -_-

sasuke256
05-20-2015, 08:56 PM
hmscott : some advice please, i'm getting my pay soon and i'm kind of lost..
Ghosting ? Sound crackling ? What Can I do about it, Can I expect a bios update for the keyboard and a new driver for the sound ?
The G750JW was also known for it's bad wifi card, but i had Zero problem with it even if i got mine 1 year after it release :D