PDA

View Full Version : New to gaming laptops--G751 questions

zigmtg
05-15-2015, 08:11 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm Zig and I'm new to the gaming laptop world. I'm strongly considering a G751 (I like the included ODD). However, I'm primarily a Linux user and former Mac user, so I've not been a Windows user in a VERY long time. As a result, I'm a little uninformed on some of the inner workings of doing upgrades. Here's my main issue:

I'd like to get a G751JT-CH71 and then upgrade to a Samsung EVO 512GB SSD. After that I'd like to replace the ODD with a BluRay drive (I've found a 9.5mm option that should work). Total cost: under $1800 before tax.

My concern is that I've seen that people are having issues with the migration of the OS and Recovery partitions to the SSD. Some say it's a USB drive issue, others say it's because the new drive is smaller than the included 1TB HDD. Some say they've had success and others say they haven't. I've read through every thread on the issue, but came out more concerned about the issue than when I started!

Part of me thinks I should simply not bother with doing the SSD upgrade and just cough up the $1850 for the JT-DH72 that includes a 256GB SSD. However, I'd really prefer to have 512GB in order to avoid constantly uninstalling and reinstalling games. I've got a rather large Steam library with several games I can't play on my current Linux setup, thus the desire for a new laptop. If I decided to go for the JT-DH72, then add a BluRay drive for around $100 more (Total: just under $2000), why not just spend the extra $250 on the JY model and get a more future-proof GTX 980m and a BluRay drive already installed, saving time and possibly severe headaches.

Anyway, what I'm really getting at is that I'm torn between spending $1800 on a JT-CH71 + upgrade parts and having to do some work that I'm finding mixed data about success with and a JY-DH71 for around $2350 with all the bells and whistles plus a better graphics card and more RAM. The budget I originally set for this purchase was $1500, but I quickly learned that wouldn't cut it if I wanted the machine to last 5 years (which is my goal). I'd like to keep it to under $2000, but if the 980m is worth the upgrade and the drive cloning and BluRay upgrades on the JT-CH71 are going to be major issues, perhaps it'd be best to just save up a little more $$ and splurge on the JY-DH71. Maybe I should wait even longer and jump to the JY-DH72X so I have the extra space? Hard to justify that extra expense though...

On a side note, NewEgg states that the JY-DH71 comes with two 128GB SSDs in RAID. Is this accurate? I thought there was only one SSD slot for either PCIe or SATAIII... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232199&cm_re=ASUS_ROG_G751_Series_G751JY-DH71-_-34-232-199-_-Product Amazon says one m.2 PCIe 256GB SSD... http://www.amazon.com/G751JY-DH71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00NWE9RPA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1431719600&sr=8-2&keywords=rog+g751

Long story short:
(1) Is the 980m worth spending $550 more than on a 970m? (2) Is upgrading the JT-CH71 to have a BluRay ODD and an SSD boot drive going to be the major problem some threads here make it out to be? Should I just go for the JT-DH72 and upgrade the ODD (I found less reported issues with that upgrade)?

Thoughts?

Best wishes and thanks for the advice,
Zig

Asoryu
05-16-2015, 08:18 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm Zig and I'm new to the gaming laptop world. I'm strongly considering a G751 (I like the included ODD). However, I'm primarily a Linux user and former Mac user, so I've not been a Windows user in a VERY long time. As a result, I'm a little uninformed on some of the inner workings of doing upgrades. Here's my main issue:

I'd like to get a G751JT-CH71 and then upgrade to a Samsung EVO 512GB SSD. After that I'd like to replace the ODD with a BluRay drive (I've found a 9.5mm option that should work). Total cost: under $1800 before tax.

My concern is that I've seen that people are having issues with the migration of the OS and Recovery partitions to the SSD. Some say it's a USB drive issue, others say it's because the new drive is smaller than the included 1TB HDD. Some say they've had success and others say they haven't. I've read through every thread on the issue, but came out more concerned about the issue than when I started!
It's not the size of the drive, it's not the USB drive. I've tried to run the image on the factory drive and I've tried to run the image on 12 different USB drives. I've tried everything from 16GB2.0 to 64GB3.0, I've tried a variety of brands people have claimed to have success with too. There is just a bug ASUS needs to address and from some recent accounts they may have resolved this issue but there is no info on what machines will have any updates because ASUS isn't really telling us anything.

Part of me thinks I should simply not bother with doing the SSD upgrade and just cough up the $1850 for the JT-DH72 that includes a 256GB SSD. However, I'd really prefer to have 512GB in order to avoid constantly uninstalling and reinstalling games. I've got a rather large Steam library with several games I can't play on my current Linux setup, thus the desire for a new laptop. If I decided to go for the JT-DH72, then add a BluRay drive for around $100 more (Total: just under $2000), why not just spend the extra $250 on the JY model and get a more future-proof GTX 980m and a BluRay drive already installed, saving time and possibly severe headaches.
In my opinion, you really need to go SSD and 512GB if you can afford it. I couldn't get anything but the JT locally and I prefer to support local stores so that limited my options. Had I the option, the 980m is about twice the card and well worth the price increase. The most important thing you need to do is make sure that the drive that has the factory image isn't in the computer when you try to restore. It doesn't give you much warning before it partitions the drives. If that route doesn't work you can always use a drive mirroring program instead.

Anyway, what I'm really getting at is that I'm torn between spending $1800 on a JT-CH71 + upgrade parts and having to do some work that I'm finding mixed data about success with and a JY-DH71 for around $2350 with all the bells and whistles plus a better graphics card and more RAM. The budget I originally set for this purchase was $1500, but I quickly learned that wouldn't cut it if I wanted the machine to last 5 years (which is my goal). I'd like to keep it to under $2000, but if the 980m is worth the upgrade and the drive cloning and BluRay upgrades on the JT-CH71 are going to be major issues, perhaps it'd be best to just save up a little more $$ and splurge on the JY-DH71. Maybe I should wait even longer and jump to the JY-DH72X so I have the extra space? Hard to justify that extra expense though...
You already answered your question. You don't want to be installing and uninstalling the games and you don't want the hassle of the drive swapping/cloning/other issues. So unless you're ready to deal with those issues go for the bigger machine.

On a side note, NewEgg states that the JY-DH71 comes with two 128GB SSDs in RAID. Is this accurate? I thought there was only one SSD slot for either PCIe or SATAIII... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232199&cm_re=ASUS_ROG_G751_Series_G751JY-DH71-_-34-232-199-_-Product Amazon says one m.2 PCIe 256GB SSD... http://www.amazon.com/G751JY-DH71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00NWE9RPA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1431719600&sr=8-2&keywords=rog+g751
No idea but it has 2 SATA(I heard only one bay is 2.0 but that might only apply to the JT) bays and one of those bays shares an M.2 slot. I've seen people get three drives in this thing.

Long story short:
(1) Is the 980m worth spending $550 more than on a 970m? (2) Is upgrading the JT-CH71 to have a BluRay ODD and an SSD boot drive going to be the major problem some threads here make it out to be? Should I just go for the JT-DH72 and upgrade the ODD (I found less reported issues with that upgrade)?
Thoughts?

Best wishes and thanks for the advice,
Zig

Long answer short:
Yes, it is.

Piro
05-16-2015, 09:58 AM
About GTX980M - it is most sophisticated product of NVidia for notebook gamers now and it will surely keep you on the edge of modern GPUs.
Plz spend that 550 bucks and be fastest now. And still pretty fast in 3 years...
I spend hours tweaking my GTX960M from G551JW and I pray to have opportunity to buy and install GTX980M....

ROGTWAT
05-16-2015, 12:35 PM
Definitely get the 980M, alone for the reason you wont be able to upgrade it later.

zigmtg
05-16-2015, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone! Per your recommendations, I decided to go with a 980m model. I chose the JY-DH71, so I'll have to deal with the smaller 256GB SDD. I couldn't justify the extra expense of the JY-DH72X... I mean... $500 more than the JY-DH71 for just a 256GB increase? I'd rather deal with installs and uninstalls!

I put the order in and will report back on the internals when the machine arrives. As long as it plays Witcher III at high settings, has 256GB worth of PCIe, and plays BluRays (with the appropriate software) I know I'll be a happy gamer.

hmscott
05-16-2015, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone! Per your recommendations, I decided to go with a 980m model. I chose the JY-DH71, so I'll have to deal with the smaller 256GB SDD. I couldn't justify the extra expense of the JY-DH72X... I mean... $500 more than the JY-DH71 for just a 256GB increase? I'd rather deal with installs and uninstalls!

I put the order in and will report back on the internals when the machine arrives. As long as it plays Witcher III at high settings, has 256GB worth of PCIe, and plays BluRays (with the appropriate software) I know I'll be a happy gamer.

zigmtg, you may get lucky and get a PCIE x4 SSD, or at least a PCIE x4 socket so you can add one later yourself, but more likely you will get a SATA 3 SSD without an M.2 PCIE x4 socket.

If you want to assure a PCIE m.2 upgrade path, then you will need to purchase the high end configuration at least - verify with the seller that it has an M.2 PCIE x2 512GB SSD or the option to return without penalty if it doesn't.

There are lots of threads/postings of people that didn't get an M.2 socket on the JT/JY, so be forewarned so you won't be disappointed :)

Here is the most recent surprised, disappointed, unhappy new JT owner:

New G751 - Notice Anything Missing?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?61448-New-G751-Notice-Anything-Missing&p=499241&viewfull=1#post499241

AsSaSsInJ0HN
05-18-2015, 03:38 AM
GTX 980 M !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STORAGE issues can be solved easily laters !

BUT GPU 980m :cool: