PDA

View Full Version : G751-CH71 Random restarts / BSOD after installing additional memory

Metallicats33
05-18-2015, 07:10 PM
Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Recently I purchased a G751 notebook with 16GB of RAM installed. I waited until I got the Notebook and ordered 2 additional 8GB modules to match what was in there. After installing the memory I have been experiencing random restarts (no BSOD, no warnings) and twice saw the BSOD which recorded a 41 kernel-power error. I've run memtest @ 4 passes without issue, I've checked and re-seated the RAM (even switching positions) and I have even gone as far as a clean re-install of Win 8.1 from the factory image all without success. The only thing that stops the random restarts is removing the newly installed RAM modules.

As a side note: I don't think this is an issue based on the documentation I have but maybe someone will think otherwise.
The Modules from ASUS are Samsung M471B1G73DB0-YK0
The Modules I received (even though the order clearly listed otherwise) are Samsung M471B1G73QH0-YK0

From what I can find online (Samsung Docs) These two Part#'s are for the same module, just one is a newer revision.
I'm currently running memtest again but if someone could shed some light as to why i'm having such an issue I would be forever grateful

Clintlgm
05-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Sure sounds like defective Modules one or the other or they don't match the timing and Voltages of the current installed RAM. What is Hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) telling you about each of the 4 modules if all is a match then one or both are defective 4 passes of Memtest is nothing well not nothing unless you can specify which module is being tested. Testing 32 GB is going to take a good bit of time.

Metallicats33
05-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Sure sounds like defective Modules one or the other or they don't match the timing and Voltages of the current installed RAM. What is Hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) telling you about each of the 4 modules if all is a match then one or both are defective 4 passes of Memtest is nothing well not nothing unless you can specify which module is being tested. Testing 32 GB is going to take a good bit of time.

Thank you for the reply,
Without be able to access the bottom two modules I had no other choice than to install just one module from the new kit in hopes to isolate the defective module and run memtest, repeating with the other module when completed... yes, it took quite some time. Aside from the obvious (Part#, Serial# & manufacturer Date) Hwinfo64 shows all 4 modules w/ identical specs, voltages and timing. Would clearing the CMOS help? and how? The battery is non removable and the BIOS is as plain and vanilla as it gets.

Clintlgm
05-18-2015, 09:38 PM
I think I would just RMA these and get some different ones it would seem the only reason for failure would be defective module they come in sets so just send it back or RMA to manufacture. I've always found manufacture to be quite helpful in swapping them out.

ROGTWAT
05-18-2015, 10:11 PM
Make sure to ONLY use 1.35V RAM or you could fry your CPU

Edit: oh, you got that covered. Sorry, felt like shouting it out..^^

Metallicats33
05-19-2015, 12:14 AM
I think I would just RMA these and get some different ones it would seem the only reason for failure would be defective module they come in sets so just send it back or RMA to manufacture. I've always found manufacture to be quite helpful in swapping them out.

Well... I'm confused now LOL.
I stopped the Memtest and decided to leave the modules in there. Rebooted and proceeded to Play Carmageddon while streaming to twitch. The Notebook has been on now for a total of 3hours + and 1 & 1/2 of those hours was spent gaming while streaming. Previously, I would only be able to stream either local gameplay or via capture device for 30 - 40 minutes before the PC would reboot. And The longest the PC would stay on during mixed use would be 1 - 1 & 1/2 hours tops.

The only things I did today were:
1. Re-installed the Modules
2. Ran memtest but did not complete
3. Restored default settings in the BIOS (could't find any way to clear the CMOS)
I'm still using it right now...

I'm going to proceed with my usual activities tonight leaving the modules in there, hopefully all goes well although i'm not exactly sure why the random reboots have stopped.

Clintlgm: The Modules were factory sealed from HP and came with warranty documentation but the purchase was made through an Ebay re-seller. Have you had any experience with HP and RMA's involving Ebay purchases?

Metallicats33
05-19-2015, 10:07 AM
Another quick update:

The PC has been on now for 13 hours and I just finished a 3 Hour stream without issue. i couldn't stream longer than 40 min before. I don't know what it was that solved my issue or if I happened to have another issue at the time that coincidentally was resolved when I removed the Modules???

So for everything looks to be in proper operating conditions... I'll update if that changes, thanks again for the input.

Clintlgm
05-19-2015, 01:28 PM
No I would have no idea how HP would deal with Ram Modules. I would assume they would stand behind them for one of there notebooks? I have always bought brand name ram modules either direct from the manufacture or a reputable vendor one I would be sure I could return to for replacement or refund. There to Critical path part to take any chances with. Ram is cheap now days.