PDA

View Full Version : G751 Owners - Purchase Satisfaction Poll

ROGTWAT
05-21-2015, 10:03 AM
When reading through this forum, people who have not (yet) bought a G751 Laptop might think this unit is a train wreck with a GPU so I thought I'd ask among those who have actually purchased and used their unit:

Are you happy with your Asus G751 Laptop?

Patricipate in the poll to make it easy for interested people to see if people are happy with their G751's.

Personally, I'm very happy with everything but the display, which is currently getting fixed in RMA and I am fairly confident it will be fine when it comes back. Will update.

diogogmaio
05-21-2015, 10:10 AM
The sound, the one left usb 3.0 port that is "bricked" and display (ghosting). The last one i'm suspicious because i play in a 120hz lightboost monitor and the difference is too big

ROGTWAT
05-21-2015, 10:20 AM
So that's a definite maybe? ;-)

BrickWall-School
05-21-2015, 10:47 AM
I love mine Brings me much enjoyment..

Edweird
05-21-2015, 11:51 AM
I gave full points with a very solid "everything considered".

ROGTWAT
05-21-2015, 11:53 AM
I gave full points with a very solid "everything considered".

That's the spirit. Realizing this is a laptop and not a magical machine from the future and being willing to accept it's personality. I bet you have a lot of friends, Ed! :D

kevinjb101
05-21-2015, 12:12 PM
G751JY is my first gaming laptop, upgraded to 32gb ram and 256b 850 Pro SSD. Im working overseas so it's not practical that i build a desktop. I'm more than amazed how it performs in gaming. Lucky for me i have zero issue so far.

I3elphegor
05-21-2015, 01:05 PM
I mean it could have been worse. I had one MSI GX701 which I had to RMA 6x, before they finally tell me if I want a new one or my money back. My next latop (G53JW) had some problems here and there (they had to replace motherboard), but it is still working great. Anyway, I still have some problems with G751JT which anyone wasn't able to answer me if they are bad or not. I tried to find answers here (in older posts) to no avail (looks like no one has those problems too) and I even spoke with Asus support, sent a few emails back and forth and nothing. But even with these problems it is still a great laptop.

Edweird
05-21-2015, 01:50 PM
I'd say that a lot of opinions would be influenced by what's around the machine itself, more abstract things like RMA experiences and information about the unit etc. (this much, I think, is obvious) I think these machines have consistent build quality and the community we have here is NOT a small pro for buying an ASUS product.

ASUS Support, RMA etc. are a different matter. So far i can say that ASUS support definitely needs work and I think it's ASUS's only true weakness before the competition. RMA process for me has been fast and painless.

Asoryu
05-21-2015, 01:57 PM
I'd say that a lot of opinions would be influenced by what's around the machine itself, more abstract things like RMA experiences and information about the unit etc. (this much, I think, is obvious) I think these machines have consistent build quality and the community we have here is NOT a small pro for buying an ASUS product.

ASUS Support, RMA etc. are a different matter. So far i can say that ASUS support definitely needs work and I think it's ASUS's only true weakness before the competition. RMA process for me has been fast and painless.

Well, considering I'm going on month 4 of my purchase and haven't been able to game once on my laptop without a new problem happening.
I disagree with your conclusion that ASUS support is not a part of product satisfaction. Customer support is integral to a quality product and their failing to resolve customers issues in a timely and appropriate fashion is a big part of their customers not being satisfied with their product.
Customer service is a part of the end product.

So far, two pieces of ASUS software are failures(Backtracker and Gamers First III), the hardware is sub-par (Non NRKO keyboard, integrated video card on the board, integrated battery) and their tech support is a joke.

Tech support is not an abstract concept it's a value added piece of your product and ASUS apparently doesn't understand the concept of quality or customer service.

Edweird
05-21-2015, 06:53 PM
I think you misunderstood what I meant. I meant that they're a different matter in that they're not the product itself but a more abstract thing that is connected to the product. I included my dissatisfaction with the support in my final verdict and fully agree that it is part of the package in a sense.

I personally don't care that Backtracker and GameFirst3 don't work right, that the battery is integrated, that the keyboard is not N-key rollover or that the video card is integrated. N-Key is a debatable issue I guess and the integrated video card is not exactly a new thing (and changing to another one in the future where much better platforms may be available would not exactly be a cheap upgrade with MXM). At the price point I'm fine with it. The battery I don't much worry about either because I can have it changed at a shop close to me very easily if I want to keep warranty and I don't use the machine as a laptop, just as a desktop replacement so eventual degradation in battery life does not affect me. My 5yo N61JA still manages to pull 1.5 hours, having maybe been on battery less than a total of 10 hours in its entire life from a time when ASUS's batteries were considered quite inferior. The tech support is less than satisfactory, yeah. I do think ASUS understands quality (at least in terms of most of their hardware, not that much software) but I agree on the customer service front, which, again, I find to be their main weakness.

Again, this is a poll for satisfaction, which reflects our individual experiences with it. Your issues don't affect me as much/at all but I know that they exist for you. But that shouldn't affect my opinion on what I get out of it. I don't know what this thing is that you're talking about new problems happening, I've been gaming on it for 6 months without problems that are due to the machine and not my own doing.

Asoryu
05-21-2015, 07:55 PM
I don't know what this thing is that you're talking about new problems happening, I've been gaming on it for 6 months without problems that are due to the machine and not my own doing.

Well, nothing that I've done to this laptop is causing my issues. Everything has been a failure of their software or hardware, and every time I resolve one issue, another one comes up to prevent me from using the laptop. We're going on 4 months right now that I haven't been able to spend on solid day gaming on this thing without a show stopping issue.

To add insult to injury, ASUS has yet to resolve a single issue and is dropping the ball on their promised response time and visibility on repairs.

This is the third time I've had a miserable time with the ASUS warranty process and I've spent every day since my issues came to a head, warning all of my customers and associates to avoid ASUS at all costs. Just last night I convinced an associate that the more expensive EVGA motherboard was the better buy for his processor/motherboard combo simply because I can not trust the ASUS warranty process if he has a failure.

ReeveJ
05-21-2015, 09:27 PM
My experience has been good on the whole. I don't have any ghosting, screen bleed or anything else. One dead pixel and an issue with the Realtek driver. It's a good system on the whole - I just wish they'd fix the audio driver.

Zombievac
05-21-2015, 10:01 PM
Well, considering I'm going on month 4 of my purchase and haven't been able to game once on my laptop without a new problem happening.
I disagree with your conclusion that ASUS support is not a part of product satisfaction. Customer support is integral to a quality product and their failing to resolve customers issues in a timely and appropriate fashion is a big part of their customers not being satisfied with their product.
Customer service is a part of the end product.

So far, two pieces of ASUS software are failures(Backtracker and Gamers First III), the hardware is sub-par (Non NRKO keyboard, integrated video card on the board, integrated battery) and their tech support is a joke.

Tech support is not an abstract concept it's a value added piece of your product and ASUS apparently doesn't understand the concept of quality or customer service.

Good reading comprehension there, buddy (he was obviously saying exactly what you were about the tech support).

Also you don't seem to realize the things you want (integrated card/battery) are not there due to deliberate design choices. This thing would be twice as big and heavy (and ugly) for those things to be removable, and you're not meant to use this on battery a lot. You could've bought a different model if you wanted those features, you'd just pay a lot more and get a design with lots more compromises, size, and weight.

Also, laptops with upgradable cards are generally not worth upgrading. The upgrade kits generally cost as much as a TITAN X desktop GPU (~$1000), and are not designed for the thermal engineering of the machine so they will not be ideal, sometimes don't work, never warrantied, and the other components of the machine will not be designed with them in mind. That scenario almost never works out.

I bought this machine knowing full well the card wasn't upgradable and the battery wasn't removable easily, specifically because I didn't want the baggage surrounding those "Features" (which are closer to "cons" than "pros" in my book for a gaming laptop).

junmizuho
05-21-2015, 10:15 PM
My first gaming laptop and it's wonderful. Just works and does what it's been descripted to do.
So far no major issues at all other than the LMB rattling a bit at high voulme, also updated BIOS twice, used it for around 3 months now and it's good.

rakenrol
05-22-2015, 08:03 AM
My first gaming laptop. Was about to buy the g551jk from were im from but luckily found this beast of a laptop online. Havent had the chance to play the heavy games yet because Im still trying to play all those games i missed out on because my old laptop could not meet the minimum requirements. So far I had not experienced any problems with my g751JT. Initially thought its size and weight would be troublesome when travelling, but so far had no problems lugging it around. I do need a better backpack for it though.

Sanctrum
05-22-2015, 09:04 AM
I am very happy with my g751JY. I still have problems with the left USB 3.0 ports - it looks like it is the hardware issue with the connector to the separate USB MB left side is using and I need to RMA... but in fact I do not want anything to separate me from my laptop for several weeks so I didn't send it and keep playing :)

ROGTWAT
05-22-2015, 09:40 AM
I am very happy with my g751JY. I still have problems with the left USB 3.0 ports - it looks like it is the hardware issue with the connector to the separate USB MB left side is using and I need to RMA... but in fact I do not want anything to separate me from my laptop for several weeks so I didn't send it and keep playing :)

Have you tried uninstalling the Asus USB Charger Plus Utility? I've read it solved the USB problems for some people. Also, upgrading BIOS may be a good idea. There's a Win Flash utility there that takes quick care of that. You can find BIOS 207 here (http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JY/HelpDesk_Download/).

hexaae
05-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Disappointed by display quality at the beginning (poor Adobe RGB gamut and yellow tinted)... and bad sound balance.
Found how to set-up sound decently with AudioWizard and Windows Equalizer...

Everything else in this laptop G751JY is absolutely GREAT, now supporting also G-SYNC with BIOS 207!

Sanctrum
05-22-2015, 11:58 AM
Have you tried uninstalling the Asus USB Charger Plus Utility? I've read it solved the USB problems for some people. Also, upgrading BIOS may be a good idea. There's a Win Flash utility there that takes quick care of that. You can find BIOS 207 here (http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JY/HelpDesk_Download/).

I have tried everything except the unit disassembly (not to void my warranty) or RMA :)
There is a dedicated thread regarding this issue where everything was discussed all over and over again. Only RMA with left USB MB + connector replacement was the effective solution. So I am using the left USB ports only with usb 2.0 devices like external keyboard and mouse...

ROGTWAT
05-22-2015, 12:19 PM
I have tried everything except the unit disassembly (not to void my warranty) or RMA :)
There is a dedicated thread regarding this issue where everything was discussed all over and over again. Only RMA with left USB MB + connector replacement was the effective solution. So I am using the left USB ports only with usb 2.0 devices like external keyboard and mouse...

You use an external keyboard with a laptop? I don't quite catch the perk of doing that^^

I3elphegor
05-22-2015, 12:39 PM
You use an external keyboard with a laptop? I don't quite catch the perk of doing that^^

I have external keyboard there too :D.
I didn't want to "destroy" keyboard too early and I don't have enough space in front of the laptop, so I bought this one: http://i.imgur.com/ca3aj3F.jpg
The only drawback is that they moved alt, ctrl and shift and you can't customize those in combination with other keys in some games. I wouldn't mind using only the laptop's keyboard, if they made it as easily removable as it is in G53JW.

Clintlgm
05-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Rogtwat, looks like a pretty good result considering almost no one finds this forum unless they have issues.. The part I find amazing is that Asus doesn't seem to be concerned what so ever about tech support. These people that have horrible results from tech support and repair have to be taking a toll. I suppose that all the other manufactures have the same issues though. I've had in order Sager, Toshiba, 4 gateways? the reason I stuck with gateway Warranty. During that time period if you had a issue that tech support could not solve they fed xed working unit Nest day, I would swap out ram and hard drive and carry on. And they did have issues nothing stopped me from working more than 24 hours. When in 2008 they went out to business or gave up the good tech support I bought an Asus M70sa notebook that lasted 4 years bringing me to this G75 in 2012. This one has been RMA twice. The first RMA was a total waste of time. 2nd RMA a cl-**** took an interest in my RMA and all was fixed except the left port USB 3 issue. and continues working great to the present( Knock on wood my desk). I did look into the G751JY actually had one in my cart at exotic coming in at around $3000. That's when I saw that the 2nd hard drive port was SATA 2 that just turned me off silly but putting out that much money and Asus thought that would fly. Just set my intuition burning and I backed out and will wait to see the generaton looks like.

ROGTWAT
05-22-2015, 04:05 PM
I agree, it's a surprisingly good result! I considered waiting one generation longer but I thought if you start doing that, you'll keep skipping generations for the sake of waiting for the new (s)hit so I went ahead and did it. Let's hope I wont regret RMAing it and then all is fine, provided the thing holds up! :D

ROGTWAT
05-22-2015, 07:00 PM
I have external keyboard there too :D.
I didn't want to "destroy" keyboard too early and I don't have enough space in front of the laptop, so I bought this one: http://i.imgur.com/ca3aj3F.jpg
The only drawback is that they moved alt, ctrl and shift and you can't customize those in combination with other keys in some games. I wouldn't mind using only the laptop's keyboard, if they made it as easily removable as it is in G53JW.

That looks fun!

Sanctrum
05-22-2015, 07:21 PM

Because I am using the laptop at home as DTR and maybe it is surprising to you I am using external keyboard also for typing :) ... and laptop's keyboard is simply not convenient at all. :p

ROGTWAT
05-22-2015, 07:47 PM
Because I am using the laptop at home as DTR and maybe it is surprising to you I am using external keyboard also for typing :) ... and laptop's keyboard is simply not convenient at all. :p

Hmm, I kinda effing LOVE the keyboard on that thing but well, what ever floats your boat init^^

Clintlgm
05-22-2015, 09:51 PM
It should hold up good this one is coming up on 3 years old. I usually buy new every 3 years but I still think I'll hold out until the first of the year or when every they come out with the next generation. I use as a desktop replacement. Very little gaming

tquenneville
05-23-2015, 12:44 AM
NOT A CHANCE. I would not recommend this product to anyone. The customer service is absolutely horrible. Still waiting for my unit to be repaired.

ROGTWAT
05-23-2015, 07:35 AM
NOT A CHANCE. I would not recommend this product to anyone. The customer service is absolutely horrible. Still waiting for my unit to be repaired.

What problems do you have? Is there a chance it will be fine after repair?

ROGTWAT
05-23-2015, 07:36 AM
It should hold up good this one is coming up on 3 years old. I usually buy new every 3 years but I still think I'll hold out until the first of the year or when every they come out with the next generation. I use as a desktop replacement. Very little gaming

Um, the G751 is no three years old^^

Edweird
05-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Um, the G751 is no three years old^^
He's talking about his G75 :D

ROGTWAT
05-23-2015, 09:54 AM
He's talking about his G75 :D

Ah I see. However, this thread was meant to be about G751 units only so the poll is polluted now :D :D :D

ciccio80
05-23-2015, 03:48 PM
Since my G751 came without an M.2 connector, I can't be 100% satisfied.
And the customer support is objectively one of the WORST I ever had.
Let's say I am quite happy with the notebook so far but the lack of the M.2 connector will be a minus (expecially in the future for upgrades)

ROGTWAT
05-23-2015, 08:44 PM
Since my G751 came without an M.2 connector, I can't be 100% satisfied.
And the customer support is objectively one of the WORST I ever had.
Let's say I am quite happy with the notebook so far but the lack of the M.2 connector will be a minus (expecially in the future for upgrades)

I think I saw your thread, yes. That must s?ck a ton. Is there a way to put the adapter in now or will you have to live without? I mean a SSD is always snappy and when gaming you would perhaps never notice it.

Edweird
05-24-2015, 08:30 AM
Well, I got lucky and they changed my motherboard during an RMA with one that has the connector. I haven't seen any real practical use of speeds that high, though, I still think it's gimmick - level with a few exceptions, a SATA III SSD is a very good solution still.

Now that I think of it ... I wonder if you could RMA the laptop based on a claim that the laptop came less than fully equipped because it does not have the connector? I don't know, depending on vendor and who does the repair, it may work. Probably won't hurt to ask at your local warranty service, right?

ciccio80
05-24-2015, 11:24 AM
I think I saw your thread, yes. That must s?ck a ton. Is there a way to put the adapter in now or will you have to live without? I mean a SSD is always snappy and when gaming you would perhaps never notice it.

Well in practical terms I will probably not notice the difference between a good SATA3 SSD (Samsung 850pro) or an M.2 SSD.
Still, I am pissed off simply because:

1) It will lover the value of my G751JY in the long run (what if I wanted to sell it?, will buyers be happy to know it doesn't come with the M.2 connector?)
2) Asus didn't inform Italian users about this change (I read quite a lot abiut this model before buying the G751JY and everywhere it was praised that it had the M.2 connector EVEN if you bought it with a sata3 SSD. The reality was far different unfortunately.1
2) When I contacte Asus to have clarification, they would bluntly refuse to comment on my questions, It's like the costumer service are all suffering from a "kind of psichiatric desease",...you ask one specific queston, and they respond another thing tha is non correlated to the question! Jokes aside, I know they MUST have been ordered by Asus to have this line of "political" response without solving anything. I myself gave up after seven (7!) emails, when even sending pictures wouldn't make them respond to my questions about the lack of M.2 connector.
3) I specifically asked if I can send back the notebook to have them solder the M.2 connector or if it can can be bought and soldered to the MB....they didn't respond, AGAIN.

ASUS = Worst support I ever had. Ever. They don't even respond to simple questions.
I thing that by behaving like this, they will lose a lot of costumers in the klong run. I myself will be tricked by their low prices only one time, and will buy my next notebook somewhere else nxt time. Maybe I will spend 100-200 euros more, but at least the customer service will have more respect of their customers. As it is, Asus will have noloyal customers, ever!

ROGTWAT
05-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Well, I got lucky and they changed my motherboard during an RMA with one that has the connector. I haven't seen any real practical use of speeds that high, though, I still think it's gimmick - level with a few exceptions, a SATA III SSD is a very good solution still.

That depends, as far as I have read the models that don't originally come with the M.2 SSD weren't supposed to have the adapter, hence they came without the drive caddy.

ROGTWAT
05-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Well in practical terms I will probably not notice the difference between a good SATA3 SSD (Samsung 850pro) or an M.2 SSD.
Still, I am pissed off simply because:

1) It will lover the value of my G751JY in the long run (what if I wanted to sell it?, will buyers be happy to know it doesn't come with the M.2 connector?)
2) Asus didn't inform Italian users about this change (I read quite a lot abiut this model before buying the G751JY and everywhere it was praised that it had the M.2 connector EVEN if you bought it with a sata3 SSD. The reality was far different unfortunately.1
2) When I contacte Asus to have clarification, they would bluntly refuse to comment on my questions, It's like the costumer service are all suffering from a "kind of psichiatric desease",...you ask one specific queston, and they respond another thing tha is non correlated to the question! Jokes aside, I know they MUST have been ordered by Asus to have this line of "political" response without solving anything. I myself gave up after seven (7!) emails, when even sending pictures wouldn't make them respond to my questions about the lack of M.2 connector.
3) I specifically asked if I can send back the notebook to have them solder the M.2 connector or if it can can be bought and soldered to the MB....they didn't respond, AGAIN.

ASUS = Worst support I ever had. Ever. They don't even respond to simple questions.
I thing that by behaving like this, they will lose a lot of costumers in the klong run. I myself will be tricked by their low prices only one time, and will buy my next notebook somewhere else nxt time. Maybe I will spend 100-200 euros more, but at least the customer service will have more respect of their customers. As it is, Asus will have noloyal customers, ever!

Jesus, that does sound bad. I got really lucky with the German support then, they were very fast and helpful!

Exostenza
05-24-2015, 08:22 PM
Everything about this laptop is utterly amazing except for the left side USB problems and the buzzing speakers. I can live with these issues though because the 100hz IPS panel with the amazing cooling system and superb keyboard are all superbly awesome!!!!

ROGTWAT
05-25-2015, 08:41 AM
Everything about this laptop is utterly amazing except for the left side USB problems and the buzzing speakers. I can live with these issues though because the 100hz IPS panel with the amazing cooling system and superb keyboard are all superbly awesome!!!!

100hz? Jesus Christ. I don't dare bumping it up that high. Does the panel actually safely support this kind of refresh rate?

Edweird
05-25-2015, 09:39 AM
100hz? Jesus Christ. I don't dare bumping it up that high. Does the panel actually safely support this kind of refresh rate?

Nobody knows for sure.
The panel is rated at 60Hz and that's what it's meant to run at. But it's of a high enough quality that it can run at 100Hz. Eventually, this will develop problems for the screen but that's a 50/50, same as whether or not it will actually run 100Hz. Mine does 80-95 fine but 100 makes it flicker badly. However, attempting this with other laptops' screens usually results in an unconditional fail so that says something about this screen.

ROGTWAT
05-25-2015, 10:44 AM
Nobody knows for sure.
The panel is rated at 60Hz and that's what it's meant to run at. But it's of a high enough quality that it can run at 100Hz. Eventually, this will develop problems for the screen but that's a 50/50, same as whether or not it will actually run 100Hz. Mine does 80-95 fine but 100 makes it flicker badly. However, attempting this with other laptops' screens usually results in an unconditional fail so that says something about this screen.

I have mine set to 75Hz which makes everything look a touch smoother. I couldn't see much of a difference when I tried 85Hz so I never went up further and left it at 75Hz. Let's hope they release the mobile G-Sync Driver for this laptop, that would be bloody fantastic.

Edweird
05-25-2015, 10:52 AM
I'm still not entirely sure if that doesn't 100% require some sort of hardware these laptops simply don't have. GSYNC actually worked for me when that driver came out with the occasional black-out but there was some sort of synchronization happening so I guess it must be capable of working normally.

ROGTWAT
05-25-2015, 10:58 AM
You know they don't need hardware because it worked. Everything else is ironing out hickups.

Edweird
05-25-2015, 01:31 PM
I would think so too but I've seen a lot of cases in the computer world where extra hardware is required to make a process work as intended, even if it works to some extent. Still, I had no vsync enabled and I was trying games like PlanetSide 2, World of Tanks, MechWarrior Online etc. and they were going between 40 and 90fps running silky smooth so ... yeah, no reason not to have hope.

Funny how all those supposedly G-SYNC designed monitors have special hardware attached to them...

ROGTWAT
05-25-2015, 02:08 PM
Special hardware that nvidia will have to explain at some point. If they fail to do so, people will start looking into AMD more... haha, just kidding :D

Edweird
05-25-2015, 02:15 PM
Shots fired!

I'd take either, just give me something that works. The fact that I can run Star Citizen (current part of it) on Very High smoothly with the GPU being cooler than the CPU, running at something like 78-80 degrees ... is A-OK with me.

My 4710 hit 90 degrees yesterday and scared the c**p outta me cause in the same game, 10 minutes earlier it was at 79 lol.