PDA

View Full Version : Witcher 3 Performance

HulkSmash
05-21-2015, 01:10 PM
Very, very well optimized game! As well as the best game I've played in a long while, probably the best RPG for me as well. I'm running it on ultra (except for NVIDIA Hairworks) on my GTX970m(overclocked @160+ core, 270+mem), and this card is amazing, specially for a laptop. Lowest dip I've seen was around 45 at ultra detailed bogs and swamps. It runs 50-60 the great majority of time! very well pleased overall!

Boxis
05-21-2015, 03:37 PM
Running it on G751JY. Hairworks off, foliage is on high instead of ultra(fps killer), and shadows on medium.

Game is running at 60fps most of the times, but at a certain time of day its hovering between 55-60, and when there is a lot of particle effects on screen(Igni spam,fire,fog etc) then it dips to 50 with these settings but still it runs very good. In few days there should be big patch coming so will see, if something changes after it is out. But ye, witcher is my favorite series(games/books) so I am very happy it runs like this.

@HulkSmash - what temps are you getting on your GPU/CPU with this overclock ? Since it is quite a big overclock on the core and I am thinking of going for like +80/250 just for witcher to see if it can hit stable 60 with these settings with no diping.

I3elphegor
05-21-2015, 04:16 PM
Very, very well optimized game! As well as the best game I've played in a long while, probably the best RPG for me as well. I'm running it on ultra (except for NVIDIA Hairworks) on my GTX970m(overclocked @160+ core, 270+mem), and this card is amazing, specially for a laptop. Lowest dip I've seen was around 45 at ultra detailed bogs and swamps. It runs 50-60 the great majority of time! very well pleased overall!

Whaaat?! Are you telling me I can set it on ultra? I turned a few things down (shadows, SSAO,...) to be able to play with Hairworks on, I also change AA on Hairworks from 8 to 4.

hexaae
05-21-2015, 09:23 PM
Do you seriously Always need AA set?
Do yourself a favour on 15"/17" displays in FHD: disable AA and get a consistent speed boost.

HulkSmash
05-22-2015, 04:45 AM
Oh sorry guys I lied a little lol. I have a few things on high. I have the foliage distance on high, as well as shadows. Hairworks off, and I set AA off and am using FXAA with Nvidia control panel to give it some room when the fps does drop. But yes, asside from foliage, shadows and AA, everything is on ultra! Gotta say still, for a laptop, quite impressive!

Some of the most detailed areas with a Ungodly amounts of tress + weather effects does drop it to a constant 40-50 FPS. Maybe I'll drop a few things down just a tad bit; but without an FPS counter on screen, I can't really feel anything game breaking from going from 60 to 45s every now and then.

Boxis -As far as temps the peak was 81C, for a few seconds. But with the 60 fps cap, it will be 70-75C avg. These units can take the 135+ OC without any problems. I had a G75 with a GTX660m, and ran an overclock of 230+ everyday for two years and never had a problem (I did do a repaste mind you), but again 135+ OC on this type of machine is perfectly fine.

HulkSmash
05-22-2015, 04:46 AM
Also I3elphegor , hairworks is really not worth the FPS drop man. The overall game can look much better without it, and it costs you like 15-20 FPS

HulkSmash
05-22-2015, 04:58 AM
Update: I dropped shadows to medium, and the areas where it would drop to 40s runs at the 50s just fine. The image quality is barely any different. I'll probably leave shadows set to medium! So shadows on medium, foliage distance to high, hairworks off and AA off (with FXAA on NVIDIA control panel on). Now running a very stable 50-60 FPS!

Joeypogs
05-22-2015, 07:54 AM
These are on the latest patch 1.03 My settings are shadows high, sharpening low, aa on, ssao, 60fps max fr, vsync off, the rest are ultra.

Ive been getting around 47-53fps min-avg. Turning aa off doesnt seem to improve performance alot. Only 1-3fps here and there. So i turned it on making the landscape especially draw distances smoother without the jaggies. Fps dips with aa on not noticeable.

I was able to overlock core to +135 and mem to +250 using latest driver. I dont know why other people are saying tha nvidia disabled overclocking again doesnt seem to affect my system though.

Edit: didn't mention i am using g751 jy model.

Sanctrum
05-22-2015, 08:21 AM
Mine settings and results are as follows:

Everything set to Ultra except:
limitFPS: unlimited
Vsync: off
shadows: high
textures: high
number of persons in the background: high
post processing (all settings enabled) except the sharpening set to normal or low depending how it is translated at english version of the game (the middle setting), as high looks very ugly to me.
1920x1080 full screen (not full res windowed mode)

Also hairworks: on (as I found it eye candy - eg. the griffin head toffee at the horse back while riding)

I have G751JY (not overclocked) and I get constant 35 FPS with that config (sometimes 45, sometimes 29 - mostly at cutscenes) so more than enough for my needs. The Witcher 3 is not the web shooter... I don't need 60+FPS :)

I3elphegor
05-22-2015, 12:19 PM
Do you seriously Always need AA set?
Do yourself a favour on 15"/17" displays in FHD: disable AA and get a consistent speed boost.

I personally don't like many forms of AA, especially FXAA, because it makes games flat looking. I don't know how more can I describe it, I just don't like it. But in this case I was talking about AA only for Hairworks which you can change only in one config file and it looks really bad if you set it to low. And it doesn't even matter now, because after 1.03, it works fine even with AA on 8.

th3l34sh
05-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Also a quick reminder to you folks, our 900M series cards support MFAA which basically gives you one quality higher than your current set AA. So if you set it on 2x MSAA, you are essentially getting the quality of 4x MSAA, at the cost of the lesser.

So be sure to enable it in the Nvidia Control Panel. It only works with MSAA.

hexaae
05-23-2015, 04:33 PM
Two advice valid for ANY GAME:

1) Do yourself a favour, remove any form of AA, including FXAA. You'll get better FPS and much more sharpened textures details. Not worthy having smoothered 3D objects borders but blurred textures and -10fps.
2) And remember to force AF (anisotropic filtering) from nVidia panel, that usually works much better then software settings in the game itself. I use AFx8.

My recommended settings:

POSTPROCESSING
Everything ON/at maximum except SSAO (not HBAO+).

GFX SETTINGS
Vsync off (NVidia panel set to Adaptive, waiting for G-SYNC grrr....)
Everything ON/at maximum including 60fps cap, full screen etc., except: Hairworks OFF, Shadows quality LOW (believe me you won't notice the difference while playing and it affects only borders, not draw distance).

Remember to disable FXAA and all other AA settings from NVidia panel.
You'll get incredibly sharpened and detailed textures, models, effects, and 60fps almost all the time (I hacked my scrren down to 60Hz so 60fps/60Hz == perfect smoothness).

My sshots, and smooth gaming: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hexaae/screenshots/?appid=sc_238096&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall

QValkyrie
05-27-2015, 09:50 AM
Hey guys!
Got g751jy and playing Witcher 3!
I think I've got a problem in here...
I play it for several days already and the gnu temps that I hit in game are 84C(max) stays around 78-79C when roaming and fighting. CPU is around 76-80C.
I am playing at geforce recommended settings, except for fps limit(cap). I have unlimited instead of 60 fps cap but tested on both.
Are those temps good and acceptable?
I've watched a youtube benchmarks of 1 guy and he has stable 63-70C on the same g751jy on ultra settings:
https://youtu.be/n8FozdNmq1o

cykelman
05-27-2015, 02:12 PM
My witcher 3 runs fine at 60 fps but causes lockups randomly while playing, can't even access the task manager, keyboard and mouse are completly dead. The game just completly hangs. Do any of you guys have the same problem? What could be the cause? (NVIDIA drivers, custom fancurve?)

qwerty25
05-27-2015, 03:17 PM
Hey guys!
I play it for several days already and the gnu temps that I hit in game are 84C(max) stays around 78-79C when roaming and fighting. CPU is around 76-80C.
I am playing at geforce recommended settings, except for fps limit(cap). I have unlimited instead of 60 fps cap but tested on both.
I've watched a youtube benchmarks of 1 guy and he has stable 63-70C on the same g751jy on ultra settings:

Those are still acceptable temps.. I had CPU 95 C and Gpu 87 C had to send it to RMA

hexaae
06-01-2015, 09:52 PM
Hey guys!

Did you ever consider the fact that some videos were taken in northern countries with lower env temps or he simply just started to play?

hexaae
06-01-2015, 09:57 PM
Solid 60 fps in all situations, as of today with TW3 1.04.
Attached config file to put in "...\Documents\The Witcher 3\".

Everything Ultra settings except:
- SSAO [recommended]
- AFx8 in the config file. Notice the in-game settings will show the Textures slider to LOW, which is actually not [recommended]
- grass distance reduced to High (set to Extreme your framerate could drop to 45 in some locations)
- no Hairworks of course [recommended]
- shadows LOW (will affect just interior borders. You won't notice the difference because they get smothered anyway) [recommended]
- NO AA. Disabled any form of AA from NVidia driver panel [recommended]

How does it look?
G O R G E O U S, and stable at 60fps: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hexaae/screenshots/?appid=sc_238096&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall

Wishmaker77
06-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Hi , i put all ultra , v sync off full hd , hair on nothing on high but all uber and all on i used my NFC profil fps 32-55 , temps cpu 71 max , gpu 68 max
some screens http://i.imgur.com/hsWC3em.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/pQeePUq.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/BbZUXUh.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/DA1nVBd.jpg

Zombievac
06-02-2015, 03:38 PM
Two advice valid for ANY GAME:

1) Do yourself a favour, remove any form of AA, including FXAA. You'll get better FPS and much more sharpened textures details. Not worthy having smoothered 3D objects borders but blurred textures and -10fps.
2) And remember to force AF (anisotropic filtering) from nVidia panel, that usually works much better then software settings in the game itself. I use AFx8.

My recommended settings:

POSTPROCESSING
Everything ON/at maximum except SSAO (not HBAO+).

GFX SETTINGS
Vsync off (NVidia panel set to Adaptive, waiting for G-SYNC grrr....)
Everything ON/at maximum including 60fps cap, full screen etc., except: Hairworks OFF, Shadows quality LOW (believe me you won't notice the difference while playing and it affects only borders, not draw distance).

Remember to disable FXAA and all other AA settings from NVidia panel.
You'll get incredibly sharpened and detailed textures, models, effects, and 60fps almost all the time (I hacked my scrren down to 60Hz so 60fps/60Hz == perfect smoothness).

My sshots, and smooth gaming: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hexaae/screenshots/?appid=sc_238096&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall

I have the 980M (OC'd to 135/250), and I can run at all settings ULTRA expect for foliage distance and shadows set to high, 55-60 FPS on 1080p (and 1440p is just about the same). Hairworks and HBAO+ are both on, and definitely worthwhile compared to the nigh-unnoticeable shadows and foliage settings at HIGH.

Also, using adaptive performance in the control panel? That's crazy talk! Always use "prefer max performance", it's just faster and much more stable.

Finally, if you use V-sync, which you should :), OCing the panel to 100Hz is beneficial. That way when you get framerate drops, it only has to lower to 75 FPS, 50 FPS, or 25 FPS, as opposed to 45/30/15.

Zombievac
06-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Hi , i put all ultra , v sync off full hd , hair on nothing on high but all uber and all on i used my NFC profil fps 32-55 , temps cpu 71 max , gpu 68 max
some screens http://i.imgur.com/hsWC3em.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/pQeePUq.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/BbZUXUh.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/DA1nVBd.jpg

Do yourself a favor and turn down shadows and foliage distance to HIGH instead. The image quality difference is only noticeable when studying still screenshots, and you should be able to get up to 50-60 FPS that way. Keep everything else at ultra, though I'd be surprised if ANYONE likes the look of the sharpening or vignetting Postprocessing, which I also turn off cause they look like crap! :)

Zombievac
06-02-2015, 03:44 PM
My witcher 3 runs fine at 60 fps but causes lockups randomly while playing, can't even access the task manager, keyboard and mouse are completly dead. The game just completly hangs. Do any of you guys have the same problem? What could be the cause? (NVIDIA drivers, custom fancurve?)

Are you using Adaptive performance in the NVIDIA control panel? It's know to cause crashes in Witcher 3 (at least, before some of the patches, I don't know about now). It also causes general stability and performance issues. Never use Adaptive!

EDIT: clarification, I mean adaptive performance, not adaptive V-Sync FYI.

hexaae
06-02-2015, 10:56 PM
Are you using Adaptive performance in the NVIDIA control panel? It's know to cause crashes in Witcher 3 (at least, before some of the patches, I don't know about now). It also causes general stability and performance issues. Never use Adaptive!

EDIT: clarification, I mean adaptive performance, not adaptive V-Sync FYI.

No probs here. I play all games with Adaptive as standard config, including TW3 and no issues...

EDIT:
WARNING! With some games Vsync = Adaptive is not the best choice at all! Arcania Gothic for example drops down to 38fps. 56-120 when Vsync = ON/Use application 3D settings.

HazGra
06-15-2015, 01:04 PM
Am I the only one with realy high temps. I OC the 970m +135/+350 and in-game my temps are around 85(GPU) and 85-90(CPU). Options are basicly high with some settings like nvidia fur off and shadows medium i got pretty stable 55+ FPS with some minor drops to 45 when there is more to render.