PDA

View Full Version : Issues Installing UJ240 Panasonic BluRay Burner

Dnepr
11-23-2011, 04:18 AM
I wanted to check in and see if anyone else has experienced similar problems when trying to swap out the DVD burner and replace it with a BluRay burner. I have installed a UJ240 Blu Ray burner by Mat****a (Panasonic), and it sort of works but has issues. If I try ripping a DVD movie with it using DVD Shrink, it fairly quickly errors and tells me 'Out of Memory'. If I try ripping a Blu Ray movie using DVDFAB, it rips until the very end and then doesn't finish. It ejects the Blu Ray movie like it is finished, but this is followed by Blue Screen of Death and the image file that was built is no good. I have used 2 of these UJ240 drives and both of them are doing the exact same thing. I've upgraded all drivers on my G74SX. Only other thing is that I bought it last month from Newegg as a refurbished item but it look brand new to me. I cannot think of any reason why this burner shouldn't be working just fine. I am wondering if there is some issue with my particular laptop? Anyone have any opinions or similar experiences?

Kipper
11-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Welcome to the forums Dnepr

Shrink is no longer a viable program; yea it works sometimes but has not been updated for 5 years now. The author of Shrink gave up the project when he went to work for Nero and now writes their "Recode" software for them. The out of memory error can mean anything so don't pay a great deal of attention to it.

If you have not already done so, go into the device manager, right click on the DVD drive that is listed there, then select Properties, then DVD Region and there set it to the US which is Region 1.

Next thing I suggest is to also give up on FAB. Don't tell anyone I said that, LOL. I have reviewed their products for them.

Download the trial for AnyDVD HD, if you do not want to spend the cash for the BEST decryptor you can at least use the trial period to sort out your problems with the new burner.

I will try to keep an eye on this thread if you have anything else to post in the future.

Hope this helps

Oh yea, one more thing; DVDShrink will work perfectly for you everytime if you have AnyDVD running in the background.

Dnepr
11-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Okay, good information, but let me clarify a few things that will help.

1. I have ANYDVD licensed, but disabled on my G74 when I try to rip a BluRay with that UJ240.
2. I have ripped hundreds of movies using DVD Shrink (latest but old version) and yes, it works perfectly with anydvd (don't know if I ever tried it much without anydvd) and it interfaces with Nero too as you know.

Here is latest development...

I removed the UJ240 from my G74 and installed it in my wife's new laptop which is a Gateway NV57H44U (I5 2nd gen). I installed DVDShrink and it ripped perfectly a DVD movie with no anydvd installed on it (I haven't burned the files yet though). Then, I installed DVDFAB (I also have a registration key for it) on wifey's computer and it is ripping a BluRay movie as I write this. But, since the G74 errored in the process right at the end, I can't say for sure at this if the BD rip will be good - but based on the success with the DVD rip using Shrink, I am very optimistic. I'm an IT person, btw, and I have observed some other strange behavior from my G74 (it is about 4-5 weeks since I got it). For example, the display driver will crap out occasionally and recover itself, and also Windows has recovered itself a few times. I don't remember the last time I had encounters with the infamous Blue Screen of Death either. Something doesn't 'feel' right.

JRd1st
11-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Update your wifi driver - http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5126-Any-Kind-of-Lag-and-Atheros-WiFi-Card

Dnepr
11-26-2011, 05:43 AM
I don't have this type of WiFi in mine. I have Microsoft WiFi.

BrodyBoy
11-26-2011, 07:13 AM
I don't have this type of WiFi in mine. I have Microsoft WiFi.
Microsoft WiFi? What is that?

JRd1st
11-26-2011, 07:19 AM
There's no generic WiFi driver, is there? :confused:

BrodyBoy
11-26-2011, 07:45 AM
There's no generic WiFi driver, is there? :confused:
There could be...but I've never seen it in action. Windows does have native support for a lot of WLAN cards, so it can often detect a card during installation and automatically install the right driver. But the hardware and driver are still appropriately identified, just like when we install the driver manually. Maybe that's what he means?? I've never seen Microsoft branded NICs, wireless or otherwise.

You still there, Dnepr? You have us intrigued...!

dstrakele
11-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Could Dnepr mean the Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter? See http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/5295215f-b3d1-4cad-bee3-35c46ddb47f0/

BrodyBoy
11-26-2011, 08:13 AM
Could Dnepr mean the Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter? See http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/5295215f-b3d1-4cad-bee3-35c46ddb47f0/
Maybe....but that's still going to be a function of his WLAN driver. I'm not sure if the stock Atheros card supports virtual Wi-Fi miniports, but the Intel cards do. (In fact, it's kind of annoying that they install them by default.) But I guess that's moot if he's saying he connects that way....that would mean he's a client user of somebody else's connection, right? Anyway, if he uses a wi-fi connection, he's got to have a physical card in there and a driver installed for it.

BrodyBoy
11-26-2011, 08:26 AM
And away he goes.....

(Was it something we said??? ;))

JRd1st
11-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Lol. That's the way of forums. :shrug:

dstrakele
11-27-2011, 01:55 AM
Naah - when he updated his Microsoft WiFi card with the Atheros driver that JR recommended, his laptop never connected to the internet again... :>{(>

EDIT: No disrespect to you, Dnepr! We're just poking fun at each other.

BrodyBoy
11-27-2011, 02:04 AM
LOL!! He's out shopping for an ethernet cable......

Dnepr
11-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Guys, I'm back. My original post was concerning the fact that the simple task of installing a new Panasonic (Mat****a) Blu-Ray drive resulted in my not being about to successfully finish ripping a regular DVD or a BluRay. In regards to the 'wifi'... I just looked under network adapters in device manager and saw nothing that said Aethoros, but did see the 'Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter' listed there twice. That is why I said that it looked like I had Microsoft wireless adapter - which now that I think about it was kinda stupid to assume. But, irregardless, I don't have Aetheros there and I an connecting to the internet via some wireless adapter in my laptop to my wireless router and on to roadrunner.

Dnepr
11-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Let me also add this -- I've been 'in the computer business' for a long time. When I simply add a BluRay burner and this causes me to have a BSOD at the end of ripping - not only with DVDFAB (with a BD disk), but also with DVDShrink (with a DVD) - and I can take that same hardware and put it in my wife's laptop and use the same exact software to do the same exact thing and it works fine, then something doesn't 'smell' right with my refurbished (from Newegg) G74!

Dnepr
11-27-2011, 10:30 PM
I have a G74SX-BBK7. I've looked again at the Device Drivers and it has 2 Intel Centrino devices - #1 is WiMax 6150 and the other is Wireless-N 6150. I also have the two Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapters,and I also have a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. All this is under Network Adapters. I see nothing anywhere regarding Atheros WiFi. Now, back to my issue... do I have a bad laptop or not?

BrodyBoy
11-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Maybe it's that "refurbished" smell.....Lol...just kidding. But it does seem entirely possible that "refurbished" units were ones returned for problems (heaven knows there have been more than a few of those!), and whoever does the refurbishing just does a factory restore and reboxes it properly. With many products, that approach is fine...but with the G74, which really does have a fair number of units that ship defective, I'd be wary.

Also, I'm sure you're aware that the exact same software can run quite differently on different hardware. I think the new chipsets in these newer models, in particular, can cause certain programs and drivers to behave differently.

BrodyBoy
11-27-2011, 10:40 PM
I have a G74SX-BBK7. I've looked again at the Device Drivers and it has 2 Intel Centrino devices - #1 is WiMax 6150 and the other is Wireless-N 6150. I also have the two Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapters,and I also have a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. All this is under Network Adapters. I see nothing anywhere regarding Atheros WiFi. Now, back to my issue... do I have a bad laptop or not?

So the Intel 6150 is you WLAN card......all the WiMax and miniport stuff are extended functions of the card.

If everything seems to work fine except your burning software, I'd be more inclined to assume a software problem then a bad laptop. Rather than trying to replicate/compare the setup on your wife's computer, you should focus on unsuring that the software you're using is compatible with the G74 and getting it configures properly. Could you try burning a couple discs with other software, just to see if it completes?

Dnepr
11-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Okay, I'll try that. I'll use some vobs that I already have and try burning them with Nero 7. Also, for what its worth, my wife's new laptop has the exact same processor (the 2nd gen i7) as my G74. I need to check to see what differences there are between the chipsets. Hers is a Gateway.

BrodyBoy
11-28-2011, 12:50 AM
Okay, I'll try that. I'll use some vobs that I already have and try burning them with Nero 7. Also, for what its worth, my wife's new laptop has the exact same processor (the 2nd gen i7) as my G74. I need to check to see what differences there are between the chipsets. Hers is a Gateway.
How about burning an ISO file to disc, just using Windows Image Burner? That could help determine whether the drive itself is capable of performing this function.