PDA

View Full Version : ASUS ROG GL551 series GL551JW-DS71: BSOD/DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE

JohnSha
05-28-2015, 11:22 PM
I'm suddenly getting random BSOD with the error message DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Any ideas on how to fix this?

The computer is brand new in virgin state. It happens every 1-2 hour of use.

Clintlgm
05-28-2015, 11:37 PM
Check out this article http://www.reviversoft.com/blog/2013/03/driver-power-state-failure/ Sound like its a driver issue most likely.

What are your CPU and GPU Temps doing? Hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) will show you

JohnSha
05-29-2015, 01:15 AM
Just updated the chipset/NVIDIA drivers from ASUS drivers download website.

Also, disabled the unused network drivers (Bluetooth/Ethernet) to reduce heat/temp setting.

Installed Hwinfo64 to monitor temp.

We'll see if this makes a difference or not.

So far, no BSOD.

JohnSha
05-29-2015, 01:51 AM
I also changed the graphics option to graphics hardware, not general CPU.

OCFreak
05-29-2015, 07:23 PM
I had this issue as well after an newer intel rapid storage driver. Reverted to the old driver and no issues.

Just a tip, your computer might actually be shipped with the same intel driver I had problems with.

sakshamtalwar
05-29-2015, 08:06 PM
I'm getting the same BSOD error once in a while. I don't know what's wrong.

JohnSha
05-30-2015, 04:48 AM
after the driver update, no BSOD for 2 days. Also, disabled unused network adapters.

Rintaru20
05-31-2015, 03:30 PM
after the driver update, no BSOD for 2 days. Also, disabled unused network adapters.
What did you update exactly? Sorry if i'm a bit slow I have the same brand model and I've been experiencing random BSOD and I wanna know exactly what you downloaded or removed or whichever it is. Thank you

JohnSha
05-31-2015, 08:43 PM
go to the following page and try updating NVIDIA drivers.

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G551JW

But I got BSOD for first time today after 3 days.

It's at much lower frequency so I think the fix is updating the drivers.

AsSaSsInJ0HN
06-01-2015, 10:38 AM
damn, does all the models have this BSOD problem ? .. because i just ordered an gl551...

Rintaru20
06-01-2015, 08:04 PM
Sadly I don't know if that happens with every single model. But I've seen many who had that. Some people had the problem go away as soon as they updated their drivers. some just still have it. My way of fixing it is whenever you're NOT playing any game and you're on battery disable the Nvidia drivers. but if you ever wanna play a game have it PLUGGED and re-enable the drivers. Never use the laptop on battery while the Nvidia drivers are enabled because they just caused it to malfunction and get the dreaded BSOD.

Asoryu
06-01-2015, 08:18 PM
I'm suddenly getting random BSOD with the error message DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Any ideas on how to fix this?

The computer is brand new in virgin state. It happens every 1-2 hour of use.

Then virgin that piece of crap back to the store that you bought it from.

sakshamtalwar
06-02-2015, 11:31 AM
I suppose all of them get those errors. I haven't got one since 3 days, before which I received it at least thrice. May be because I haven't played a game for the last 3 days. Also there are 2 new white spots and one dead pixel on my screen. It seems Asus is throwing defectives left and right! :/

AsSaSsInJ0HN
06-03-2015, 12:31 AM
oh man hope i get a good one

sakshamtalwar
06-03-2015, 05:58 AM
oh man hope i get a good one

I hope the same. :) Whenever you receive the device, test it in all the ways possible. If you're a gamer, play some graphics intensive games, if you plan to use the device for video editing and stuff, do that. Conduct all tests. In my case the laptop worked fine for the first day when I just used it for browsing the web and using Word. The next day I played Crysis 2 and soon after I closed the game, I got the deadly BSOD. Thank God it didn't occur mid-way.

Narrowing it down, just test the device :)

brutano
06-03-2015, 02:22 PM
i had same issue with my g751 i fixed it by uninstalling gamefirst app it messes with the network driver causing it to bsod with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE message hope that helps havent had a single bsod since that

Steffys26
06-04-2015, 12:25 AM
Hi people i got this computer a week ago and since yesterday i have the DRIVER STATE FAILURE... i absoltly hate it... i probably dont know to much about computers as you do.. since i mainly bought this computer (an ASUS ROG GL551 JW) for architecture propurses ... i am an architecture student and i need it for it... and i cannot use it if im going to loose all my work !!!

Im exasperating.... the computer was $1400 and its just brand new... this is not a good thing...

I did what a video from youtube told me.. that was to install the intel drivers up to date but i believe that didnt do anything. I tried to go to the restore point before i downloaded Dropbox and it didnt let me do it. Also i let it drain all the power and let it power again all night..and for most of the day today i hadnt had a problem but about 15 min ago i had 2.

What should i do? if i had known this was a thing with asus i would have gone with the msi...

kinga15021994
06-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Hi. I had the same issue on my G551JW. Problem resolved by clean installation Win 8.1 on the clean disc (with no recovery partition). You need to use the same version of Windows. Key will be recovered from bios. When you installed clean OS In bios will be showed all function Efi BIOS that will be covered. Now my computer works fine with no BSOD.

Rintaru20
06-05-2015, 11:16 PM
Hi. I had the same issue on my G551JW. Problem resolved by clean installation Win 8.1 on the clean disc (with no recovery partition). You need to use the same version of Windows. Key will be recovered from bios. When you installed clean OS In bios will be showed all function Efi BIOS that will be covered. Now my computer works fine with no BSOD.

I guess i'm gonna be trying that when I get my summer break...Thanks for the info. Hopefully this fixes it.

OCFreak
06-05-2015, 11:43 PM
There is nothing wrong hardware wise (pretty sure). Guess asus default driver package has one bad driver that causes this problem, it's just to find the correct one.

As said earlier, I've had such isses with some version of intel rapid storage driver. But it could be other drivers as well.

Voisinat
09-18-2015, 02:53 PM

What exactly do you mean "on the clean disc"? I'm guessing using the on board option to reinstall windows from the update and recovery section in the settings isn't what you're referring to?

Clintlgm
09-18-2015, 07:03 PM
Clean Install, you would download the correct windows 8.1 probably core, unless you have Pro or Single Language. ISO or create USB install media from this link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media.
Once you start the install and put in the language hit Shift + F10. This will bring up a command prompt
CD diskpart
diskpart
list disk you should only have the disk in that you want to clean install window to. remove any 2nd hard drive.
Select disk 0
Disk 0
Clean
Clean
covert to GPT
exit and continue the Clean install.

You should also go to Asus Support Download (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1) You'll need at the very least Chipset, IRST, IME, ATK package. Audio, video, WiFI, LAN download and have these drivers ready to install.

If you need step by step instruction See the Tutorials in the eightfourm (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/?filter[2]=Installation%20and%20Setup) Here also is an older thread in the G75 forum but the principals are the same for your G751 http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&p=224827&viewfull=1#post224827

Black Phoenix
09-19-2015, 12:54 AM
Also please see this thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76817-PLease-help-G551JW-Driver-Power-State-Failure

Here Is what I found about that Power State Failure BSOD. For me the reason was that one, it was the Intel Graphics power states during the use of the notebook on battery.

For me the re-installation of the OS didn't done anything as in all my computers, I first make a backup of the factory HDD to my NAS and then install the OS version that I normally use in all my PCs. For example my GL551JW came with Windows 8.1 Home, I installed the 8.1 Pro.
My old M51TR came with Windows Vista Home Edition as new, I installed the Windows Vista Pro and later the Windows 7 Pro.

ZIXEL
09-21-2015, 07:34 AM
dman i have the same issue in g551jw and i reinstalled a fresh win 8.1 mode CSM no UEFI ,

luislad
11-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Hi I also have an Asus GL551JW, I updated the graphics drivers and Bios,I upgraded it to Windows 10 when it became available, but on my machine the BSOD only occurs when working in 3DS Max,while gaming or doing other stuff it's fine.