PDA

View Full Version : G751JY Temperatures (Problem?)

Maxelek
05-28-2015, 11:35 PM
Hello, just recently, like a week ago bought this notebook. Have been playing Witcher 3 since yesterday, and today was y longest session - about 7~~ hours, with small pauses of course. And this is how temps looks... Playing normally on ultra without Hairworks 50 constant FPS, and my room temperature is maybe 19-22C?
http://i.imgur.com/jnMcOcR.jpg
Guys, should I be worried? Is it normal?

@edit
That's my CPU: Intel Core i7-4860HQ

Zombievac
05-29-2015, 02:47 AM
Worried about what? Those are great temps.

I also doubt that screenshot was while you were in game, they're too low and the CPU is downclocked, and GPU usage is at 2%. Temps go down quick unless you measure while a game or 3D app is running at full steam. Those temps are about 1/3 or 1/2 of what might concern you (about 90-95 celsius is the temp you want to avoid being at or over for long periods of time).

adrien95
05-29-2015, 02:48 AM
Maybe it's just a spike at 90c, so for me there's no problem, but try to install msi afterburner with RTSS, to show directly and in game the temperature. When i play the witcher 3 CPU is between 75-80/85 (and mine is the 4710HQ) with one spike at 90 and gpu 76c.
If your really worried about temperature look for an underclock for the cpu and a little undervoltage ( look post for maintain cooler the pc ), of course wait for more reply about the community :)

Ps : Sorry for my very very bad english :(

Maxelek
05-29-2015, 01:26 PM
Played a bit more with MSI Afterburner, as you suggested and temps are always like 86~~ with spikes to 90~~

Also have another problem, when I'm playing GTA I can change volume in-game, but when I'm playing something like Witcher 3 or Metro Redux FN+F10/11/12 doesn't work. Installed all the drivers :/ Anybody also have this problem?

Thanks for help.

Edweird
05-29-2015, 02:06 PM
4860s are simply hotter than the 4710/20s the rest of us get. Some easy steps to take are using NoteBook Fan Control, which thanks to NitroX has a profile for the G751JY and also using Intel XTU to set a dynamic undervolt of -50 to -90mV to reduce the input voltage. These CPUs are of high enough quality to support these settings without any issues (usually).

4710s also spike to 90 degrees occasionally, you shouldn't be worried about the GPU, though, your GPU temp is right where it should be, maybe even lower.

Zombievac
05-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Maybe it's just a spike at 90c, so for me there's no problem, but try to install msi afterburner with RTSS, to show directly and in game the temperature. When i play the witcher 3 CPU is between 75-80/85 (and mine is the 4710HQ) with one spike at 90 and gpu 76c.
If your really worried about temperature look for an underclock for the cpu and a little undervoltage ( look post for maintain cooler the pc ), of course wait for more reply about the community :)

Ps : Sorry for my very very bad english :(

Good info Adrien, but one thing is with the G751 laptop and 4710HQ processor, all you really need to do is undervolt it (most can go right down to the lowest undervolt, -90mV I believe), no downclock or loss of performance required to lower temps pretty significantly. Not positive about the 4860 but I would imagine it's the same, just an undervolt is fine, no need for lowering the clocks unless you get instability with the undervolt.

Also, definitely use the "Notebook Fan Speed" tweak profile mentioned in other posts for this model, it helps a lot (the default ASUS settings are ridiculous, the fans don't ever ramp up to full speed, and even the amount they do ramp up to is done too late to prevent a heat overage downclock)

Maxelek
05-30-2015, 12:16 PM
Well, thanks for help guys. When I'm using "Notebook Fan Speed" the temps are like 1-3C lower and my fan for CPU is working at 4000+ RPM instead of 3000 RPM. 90-91C should be acceptable I guess...

Zombievac
05-30-2015, 05:47 PM
Yeah, you should be fine with that temp. Did you undervolt the CPU (-90 or -80 mV) with Intel XTU (try for the lowest setting possible without losing stability)? THat should help as well.