PDA

View Full Version : How does the G751JY perform at 1440p?

Xehanort
05-29-2015, 03:35 PM
Anyone here has their G751JY connected to a 1440p monitor? I was thinking of getting one (MG279Q (http://www.asus.com/Monitors/MG279Q/)), but before I make my decision I wanted to know how it would perform at this resolution and refresh rate(120-144hz).

Zombievac
05-29-2015, 03:53 PM
It should work, and will run fine. You will have to lower settings in 3D games/apps that previously ran at equal to or less than whatever framerate you consider acceptable at 1080p, of course. Unless you get g-sync, then the performance impact might be almost negligible in many cases...

But I'd highly recommend you get a G-Sync monitor (not FreeSync like the one you linked to, since these are nvidia cards) - the difference is amazing, and it will lower the impact of the performance hit when moving to 1440p because you won't need v-sync anymore. If you can't afford to get G-Sync, I highly recommend you wait a bit and save up some money to get it. It truly is one of the biggest graphical advancements for gaming in a long time!

Edweird
05-29-2015, 03:53 PM
I've tried it. Refresh rates - I don't think those have anything to do with the laptop itself or if they did i noticed no difference in performance.
FPS-wise, the G751JY's GTX980M laughed as it coughed up maybe 4 spare frames per second from a game running at 60FPS / 1080p down to 56 at 1440p.

Xehanort
05-29-2015, 07:42 PM
It should work, and will run fine. You will have to lower settings in 3D games/apps that previously ran at equal to or less than whatever framerate you consider acceptable at 1080p, of course. Unless you get g-sync, then the performance impact might be almost negligible in many cases...

But I'd highly recommend you get a G-Sync monitor (not FreeSync like the one you linked to, since these are nvidia cards) - the difference is amazing, and it will lower the impact of the performance hit when moving to 1440p because you won't need v-sync anymore. If you can't afford to get G-Sync, I highly recommend you wait a bit and save up some money to get it. It truly is one of the biggest graphical advancements for gaming in a long time!
I have no problems with lowering settings, since i'm mostly a console gamer and gaming is not the main reason why I bought this laptop - which was for heavy video editing :P

I've been considering waiting for this monitor to be released with G-SYNC, but the main reason 1440p interests me is for the extra workspace I get and not really the better resolution while gaming. I'm not planning on getting the monitor soon, but eventually I will and my question is will G-SYNC justify the wait considering I don't game on PC all that much?

I've tried it. Refresh rates - I don't think those have anything to do with the laptop itself or if they did i noticed no difference in performance.
FPS-wise, the G751JY's GTX980M laughed as it coughed up maybe 4 spare frames per second from a game running at 60FPS / 1080p down to 56 at 1440p.
Holy crap, that's amazing! May I ask what was the game you tested? I've been playing Dark Souls lately, the GTX 980M eats the game up with a stunning 1080p/60fps. Wondering if it could maintain the fps at 1440p...

Edweird
05-29-2015, 10:11 PM
Games like MechWarrior Online, PlanetSide 2 and World of Tanks, mostly. I think I lost about 6-7fps on average for The Witcher 3.
The 980M just isn't impressed, heh. And I'm not sure, it might as well have been something entirely different. The 4 gigs of memory gets filled up nicely and I found myself using a couple gigs more RAM as well.

Xehanort
05-31-2015, 01:17 PM
I mostly play games that are not GPU demanding at all, like Dark Souls I and II, Civilization and many older games like Amnesia, and many idie games like Bastion, Super Meat Boy, etc...

If the 980M could run Dark Souls II at 1440p/60fps, and The Witcher III at 1440p/30fps, both at high settings, i'd be genuinely impressed. Doubt it though, but one can dream :P

Boxis
06-01-2015, 06:31 AM
I have just tested Witcher 3 with DSR on G751JY at 1440p with my 1080p settings (everything on ultra except foliage - high, shadows - medium, hairworks - off), and was getting 37-48fps. On 1080p its 57-60fps. So ye it is still pretty good I guess, though I will stick with 1080p (maybe unless the G-Sync will actually work with our current gen laptop version).

Xehanort
06-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Never used DSR, guess I should try it out sometime since I finally got a performing PC.

Now with the new ROG PG279Q announcement, maybe I should wait and think about which 1440p monitor I should buy...