PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to use my G751 while charging?

Kurwa Chan
05-31-2015, 08:21 AM
Just like the question. I have been searching the entire forum, but I have found many results. Some say it's ok, some say it's not. I want to know the correct answer. Will it damage my battery lifespan? How long will my battery last if I usually use my notebook like a desktop? Is there any solution to this?

Thank you.

Ntwlf
05-31-2015, 08:29 AM
Welcome to ROG Kurwa Chan,

All reputable laptop/notebook manufacturers have designed/spec's the charger/power pack to charge the battery while laptop/notebook is in use, but usually recommend to leave system turned off to charge battery if it's fully or near fully discharged to reduce high load on charger/power pack, otherwise you will be fine.

Kurwa Chan
05-31-2015, 08:54 AM
So what i should do is when my laptop is fully charged while in use, i should plug out and then plug back in when battery is lower then repeat this process. Am i correct or not? I'm not a technical person in battery hardware, but from my logical thinking, if we put too much strain on our batteries (like repeating the process i mentioned above), our battery lifespan will be shortened.

Ntwlf
05-31-2015, 09:37 AM
I can understand your concern with you new notebook, in wanted it to last a long time, with all the stories of battery life from yesteryear.

You are correct in the battery life being shortened if it's continually discharged, especially deeply, and then recharged.

Battery & charger technology is much better nowadays. You will be fine (best) in keeping the charger/power pack plugged in during laptop use, even using it as a desktop. If you turn notebook off when it's not in use, rather than on 24/7, go ahead and unplug the charger/power pack until you use it again. And from time to time, say once every other week or so, use notebook on battery power only until battery reserve is pulled down to say around 65% - 75%, then plug it back in again to fully charge. This will keep battery conditioned. I believe this gives the longest life to any battery.

Reputable laptop/notebook manufacturers know that many of these products will be used as a desktop replacement, thus they will keep this in mind with the design/spec's.

Kurwa Chan
05-31-2015, 09:39 AM
Thank you very much. I guess I did not really understand your first answer, but now I do. Very appreciated.

Ntwlf
05-31-2015, 09:41 AM
Your very welcome. :)

Xehanort
05-31-2015, 01:49 PM
I use my G751 as a desktop, plugged in while working on it all the time, and every once in awhile I use it as a laptop and let the battery drain until like 15-10% and let it charge while turned off.

Not sure if this is the optimal method, but like Ntwlf said this technology is much MUCH better nowadays than it was years before.

Zombievac
06-01-2015, 03:23 PM
Your very welcome. :)

FYI man, I just took a look at your specs, and you're probably aware... but don't buy the TITAN X at this point unless you can get it for $700 or less! The 980 Ti has just been released, and in game performance says its 97% as fast as the TITAN for just over half the price!

Zombievac
06-01-2015, 04:38 PM
Just like the question. I have been searching the entire forum, but I have found many results. Some say it's ok, some say it's not. I want to know the correct answer. Will it damage my battery lifespan? How long will my battery last if I usually use my notebook like a desktop? Is there any solution to this?

Thank you.

Similar to what Ntwlf said, but I'd say you can think about it this way with regard to modern Lithium batteries in laptops and phones:

The technology is advanced enough where you just don't need to worry about "abusing" your battery anymore, because there are so many safeguards in place. You'll save yourself a lot of unnecessary worry and time if you just plug it in whenever you can, and feel free to run on battery whenever it's convenient and you don't need it running at full speed.