PDA

View Full Version : How to clean out G751JY dust?

FitnessRegiment
06-01-2015, 08:22 AM
I lived in a very very dusty place for a while and I can hear the fans are louder and temps higher than they used to be.
Is there a way to clean the dust out of the fans and make sure my G751JY runs smoothly?

Edweird
06-01-2015, 08:57 AM
There's no way that I am aware of to do so safe for diassembling the laptop, which would be difficult for people who have not done it before (I don't know if you are such). More importantly, this is likely to void your warranty.

I suggest taking it to your local warranty service and having them do it for you.

FitnessRegiment
06-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Damn that sucks I really want to clean it, the fans are louder than when I purchased it I am sure.

AQUASTEVAE
06-02-2015, 10:07 PM
yeah, i'm looking for a way to clean them as well. while my fans are not loud, they are definitely louder than they use to be. i use to be completely unable to hear them unless i put my ear right up to the vents. but now i can hear them under normal use. again, not loud, just audible. if you find out anything let me know, and i'll do the same for you.

Korth
06-02-2015, 11:58 PM
Blasting some compressed air into/through the vents and openings can go a long way. Be careful that "cold" compressed air doesn't cause condensation. Canned air meant for this purpose is generally preferable to a compressor because it'll have antistatic properties and no contaminants (like the lubricants, oils, and solvents often used in compressors). Try not to spin fans with the airstream, as their bearings are typically only designed to operate up to a certain rpm and can suffer a lot of wear when spun faster. Do not blast electrically powered equipment, of course, lol.

Edweird
06-03-2015, 07:12 AM
Blasting some compressed air into/through the vents and openings can go a long way. Be careful that "cold" compressed air doesn't cause condensation. Canned air meant for this purpose is generally preferable to a compressor because it'll have antistatic properties and no contaminants (like the lubricants, oils, and solvents often used in compressors). Try not to spin fans with the airstream, as their bearings are typically only designed to operate up to a certain rpm and can suffer a lot of wear when spun faster. Do not blast electrically powered equipment, of course, lol.

This is all sound advice but the reason OP posted this topic is that the only access to the fans is through the heatsinks outside :\
The G751 has a relatively complex assembly that requires that you open the top part of the laptop thus potentially voiding your warranty.

I don't think you'll want to use compressed air through the heatsinks to just blow the dust all over the inside of the laptop, heh.

Korth
06-03-2015, 11:07 PM
Agreed. The best way to clean the unit is to disassemble it (although that can void warranty and cause other problems, lol). Blasting compressed air into a "sealed" device will never properly clean it out.

But the dust is already in there. You won't get it all, some will be "unreachable" and some will be blasted into little corners - but anything helps. Especially if any dust on the heatsinks is cleared off (since this is where it actually causes thermal problems) and any dust on the fans is cleared off (since it can get into the moving parts). It's surprising how much gunk gets expelled with air forced through the intakes (wherever they might be on your device), at least it clears any little obstructions accumulating in the airflow path.

andreai
06-16-2016, 11:47 AM
Agreed. The best way to clean the unit is to disassemble it (although that can void warranty and cause other problems, lol). Blasting compressed air into a "sealed" device will never properly clean it out.

But the dust is already in there. You won't get it all, some will be "unreachable" and some will be blasted into little corners - but anything helps. Especially if any dust on the heatsinks is cleared off (since this is where it actually causes thermal problems) and any dust on the fans is cleared off (since it can get into the moving parts). It's surprising how much gunk gets expelled with air forced through the intakes (wherever they might be on your device), at least it clears any little obstructions accumulating in the airflow path.

Laptops tends to have more dust than desktops because everything is packed tightly together. Your laptop is overheating because the cooling fans maybe running constantly. When this happens, it may lock up and damage your system components. You can clean your laptop fan with the help of a screwdriver and a can of compressed air.

Firstly turn off the laptop and remove its battery
Look for the air vent which is at the outer edge of the laptop, there would be an access panel at the bottom
Unscrew and remove the panel, when you do that you will see the fan underneath
Now in order to blow out the dust, hit the fan in short bursts from different angles making sure at the same time that you blow everything in the direction of the air vent.
If you are using an air compressor then it's good if you keep the pressure low.
After you’ve blown out the dust, replace the access panel and battery and then power up the system.

Try this out it may work and the reason why your laptop is getting dusty is because like you mentioned your room is dusty. I found an article online that provides some tips on how to get rid of dust in your rooms (http://www.sunrise-cleaning.com/blog/cleaning-tips/allergies-five-ways-keep-home-dust-free/)