PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Windows 10?

Ghostextechnica
06-01-2015, 10:57 PM
Is everyone planning to upgrade immediately?

Any idea if we're likely to face critical issues with drivers etc?

Maxter
06-01-2015, 11:30 PM
Is everyone planning to upgrade immediately?

Any idea if we're likely to face critical issues with drivers etc?

That's a really good point! We have a whole year to perform the upgrade, so it's probably better to wait. I also read that Win10 has some incompatibilities with some CPU's (older versions) - we shouldn't have an issue other than, possibly, drivers, as you said.

MaxCioco
06-02-2015, 07:05 AM
When looking in the "Check your PC" section of that "Get Windows 10" thing I get an error message: "These devices aren't fully compatible with windows 10 - IntelHD graphics 4600 - You'll experience some problems with your display". Still, it sais that windows 10 will work on this device.

So...I guess I either don't have the latest drivers (updated 2 months ago for the integrated video card) or windows 10 is not yet good to go on devices with 4600gc.

Ntwlf
06-02-2015, 07:27 AM
Myself won't be upgrading to Win10, but a sidegrade yes. Multibooting OS's is my intention, along with Win7 w/ XP mode & Win8.1.
I like having choices, especially with older software & games.

Enclaw_cz
06-04-2015, 03:02 PM
I am using Windows 10 for about 2 months already at my G750.. with now issues.. System is getting better in every update. I can't really complain about anything and if you are reinstalling your OS, I strongly recommend to already choose Win 10.. is worth it! :)

baulaergrungim
06-04-2015, 11:51 PM
Yeah, what's the deal with Intel Graphics? Is it a case where they didn't release a fully compatible with Win10 drivers? I have 2 more laptops from other maker at home, but haven't run the compatibility check yet (and few years old).

GottiBoi55
06-05-2015, 12:54 AM
I'm going to wait to upgrade, there's one year to do so.
Hopefully Intel will provide W10 drivers for the HD-4600 integrated graphics. (W10 checker states HD-4600 is not fully compatible)
My JZ uses nVidia optimus, so I will wait for drivers from intel.
Plus some Anti-Virus software are also not compatible (mine included), another reason to wait.
No problem, have a year to upgrade!

MeanMachine
06-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Hi Ghostextechnica

Microsoft are offering a free upgrade to W10 from W7 and W8.1 and realeases on July 29th.

I will install my W7 on another drive and upgrade that. Reason being, I don't trust Microsoft !!!

My current W7 is running great atm and I don't want to have to start over, if the upgrade goes belly up.

I get to keep my W7 setup and duel boot to the W10 upgrade and take my time installing all my games and apps at leasure.

Makes sense, me thinks.

MM

Dr. Zchivago
06-05-2015, 01:42 PM
I get to keep my W7 setup and duel boot to the W10 upgrade and take my time installing all my games and apps at leasure.

My process:
Shrink system partition >
create new volume and install OS to be upgraded, upgrade >
dual boot until eventually stay with new OS >
transfer important files from old partition to new OS partition >
delete old partition >
expand new OS partition to whole volume

For anyone who has only one HDD

Cryptoxic
06-05-2015, 04:15 PM
Hey all, just wanna pop in here to see what are everyone's views on the upgrade. I've reserved my copy of WIndows 10 already but I'm not sure if I wanna upgrade. The only issue I get on the Get WIndows 10 is my Bluetooth which isn't really a deal breaker for me. I wonder if I should go ahead with the upgrade on the 29th when it releases.

I'm still skeptical as to if the upgrade will erase the asus logo (oem information) on the System Information in the Control Panel. Anyone knows anything about this? Will it erase the oem information? And most importantly, will my essential things like Keyboard, trackpad work with the offical upgrade. Using a G56JR btw. Very little driver updates from the product support page.

Korth
06-05-2015, 06:58 PM
Minesweeper will be gone in Win10, available through the Microsoft app store. And still I yearn for the ancient Flying Toasters screensaver, lol, also long gone. I suppose these sorts of boredom-killing apps distract people from actually doing whatever work they're supposed to be doing on their computers, and from surfing around bing or social media sites, need people online to make money online. And I'm willing to admit I can understand (at least intellectually) that not a lot of people even like Minesweeper, especially when a thousand "better" flash games can be located online in seconds. Not an evil corporate conspiracy theory, just a smart business decision.

Of more significance, I've seen useful little command-line programs come and go with each Windows new version. A few of these little gems are very useful indeed, even today. I even hang onto old versions of Windows fonts, it's amazing what even the littlest changes can break (at home or at work), and I've learned the hard way that I'd much rather copy a "useless" file than manually edit thousands of production print labels. Newer is often note better when it comes to Microsoft's various disk/drive management tools, in the real world we have to often mix and match drives and machinery which isn't always top-spec enterprise-grade and isn't always running the very newest hardware and software. I've even idly wished from time to time that Microsoft had never removed their half-useless Windows Experience Index metric - the more information that's available to people I don't want to deal with so they can deal with their own decisions, the better.

It makes me ask what else I might expect to find in Win10 and discover (too late) is "broken" or "missing". It seems very telling to me that Microsoft's Win10 material dedicates so much emphasis on how it looks, how shiny, how slick, how the little things in the UI are nicer and even easier to use. But very little is said about core OS functionality, reliability, performance, or compatibility (aside from noting some version compatibilities with previous WinOS components). I don't want more bloat, I want less. I don't want a thousand new ways to do the same old things, I want a few ways to do them better. I don't want support frameworks for Microsoft's productivity and media products, I expect good productivity/media software to install (and update) what it needs as it needs it, no need to fill the Registry and file system with nonfunctional placeholder garbage. I think Win10 will be good for most people, overall, even though so many still can't properly operate their existing WinOS functions today. And I expect that (like it or not) I'll end up using Win10 on every new machine I come across. But I find Win7 is as good as Windows gets (it's about Win7-vs-Win10, not about me being a dinosaur), I don't see any compelling reason to "upgrade" (even for free) - I challenge Microsoft to convince me otherwise, the branding isn't enough to sell me on the product, the product has to sell itself.

Ntwlf
06-05-2015, 11:38 PM
To Korth,

Very well stated, you have hit the nail on the head. It couldn't have been said any better, in my view.

StepCZ
06-09-2015, 09:00 PM
If anyone has recently upgraded G750 from WIndows 8.1 to WIndows 10, please share your experience here. I'm mainly worried about drivers for various Asus specific devices. I'd love to check out Win10 but afraid to break my current well-working setup...

Maxter
06-10-2015, 06:35 PM
I'm on Win8 + Classic Shell (never upgraded to 8.1). I don't see the Win 10 update, as I do in my home machine with Win 7. Do I have to update to Win 8.1? (fff that)
I also heard that Win 10 clean install will be available...

themeonster
06-11-2015, 02:41 AM
If I am not mistaken, yes both the notification and the free update both require 8.1.

May I ask what is wrong with installing 8.1? I have never heard any arguments against updating except for the occasional incompatibility.

Maxter
06-12-2015, 06:21 PM
What I'm wondering is... are they going to start charging for the patches (like Apple does)? What's their new mode of revenue? Only Office 365? Nothing is free...

Maxter
06-12-2015, 06:25 PM
If I am not mistaken, yes both the notification and the free update both require 8.1.

May I ask what is wrong with installing 8.1? I have never heard any arguments against updating except for the occasional incompatibility.

I had Win 8 pre-installed, hated it. Heard of Classic Shell and installed. Laptop has been ridiculously stable, so I never took the Win 8.1 update. That's it, no other reason than that. I know the new 8.1 compatible drivers have come out, but I don't do updates, only clean installs (like any good power user would do). This means I would have to "restart" myself with the computer and all the configuration.
Do you truly recommend to perform the update? What would I gain?

Maxter
06-12-2015, 08:42 PM
Well, you had me thinking. I went for it and updated to 8.1... It was pretty painless and everything seems to be in order (Windows update found updates to bluetooth, wifi and ethernet drivers). Difference is that it starts even faster. Haven't gamed on it yet, but so far looks the same. I did notice that the CPU is used a lot harder than previously, however. (as in it goes to 100% usage more often)

THempleman
06-14-2015, 07:32 AM
I have dual booted since Jan. 10 on ssd and 8.1 on hdd . The only problems have been no audio with HDMI and Elan touchpad drivers,
which disable the buttons. The audio was corrected with build 10130, but the Elan update keeps reinstalling. I haven't found a working
way to hide the update.
I point my libraries to 8.1, so they are always current and I can clean install new builds as they arrive.
10 is fast but it probably is the ssd. 8.1 is painfully slow to boot, so I rarely use it except for a few programs I haven't loaded in 10.
I am also running office 16 in 10 and together they seem more stable than vista ever was!
I will upgrade the second I am offered. I ALWAYS have..remember 95? At least there won't be a line...

jagarock
06-19-2015, 08:32 PM
Windows 10 was running fine, until the latest update, which happened 2 days ago here (06-17-2015).

Now there seems to be an issue when going into sleepmode. Sometimes it will hang, other times the keyboard will stop working.

Im looking for some way to revert back to the old Windows 10 version, as this is just crap atm.

Maxter
06-19-2015, 10:54 PM
After upgrading to Win10, we can do clean-install, according to Microsoft. I'm wondering if, at this point, Win8.1 drivers from the support.asus.com website are compatible with Win10. Thoughts?

themeonster
06-20-2015, 12:43 AM
I would guess that the drivers will still work but at this point, the ones listed at our specific model support pages are pretty outdated. I will probably try upgrading and if that causes problems, clean install. Hopefully, there won't be any issues though, as I am not too thrilled to go on another driver hunt to find the specific set that makes everything work properly.

However, I have been messing around with the preview builds on a spare old tower and I like the direction that they are taking the OS.

Korth
06-20-2015, 03:23 AM
I'm still skeptical as to if the upgrade will erase the asus logo (oem information) on the System Information in the Control Panel. Anyone knows anything about this? Will it erase the oem information? And most importantly, will my essential things like Keyboard, trackpad work with the offical upgrade. Using a G56JR btw. Very little driver updates from the product support page.
I've seen Win10 upgrades (from Win7 and Win8.1) on several machines. The OEM branding, contact/support information, logos, and legal notices are retained. User personalization, wallpaper, icons, etc are also migrated - but a few of these cosmetic items are hit-or-miss.

You can always add, remove, or edit any information you like in the "My Computer" info and on the startup and logon screens - entirely through the Registry, no add-on programs required. Many websites detail how such stuff is done.