PDA

View Full Version : GL551-JW For Video Editing

Leem6453
06-04-2015, 03:41 PM
Hello all. I just purchased a GL551-JW from Amazon. I am not a gamer...I edit videos for Youtube using Corel Videostudio X8. Do any of you guys use this model for editing videos? Is this a good model?

Xehanort
06-04-2015, 03:50 PM
Depends on how heavy the editing is.

I also use my G751JY for editing, and the only thing lacking so far for me is in rendering speed. Laptops are never reccommended for heavy work/gaming, but if you're working purely on 1080p footage, and not too many GBs of footage at the same, i'd imagine it would fulfill your needs well.

Once you get it, let me know how well it performs.

Prostar Computer
06-04-2015, 04:15 PM
The CPU in the GL551is pretty capable as long as you're not rendering huge files (a desktop CPU would be better for that). It's a good model that should render your content fairly well.

Leem6453
06-04-2015, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Yeah I only produce 5 - 10 minute videos (movie reviews, drum covers, etc.). I just returned a Lenovo Y50 because it couldn't sufficiently handle the Corel program. I would get random audio drops after the splits. I've heard the Asus' are better for editing.

I will definitely report back once I get the Asus and get a video up.

Leem6453
06-05-2015, 02:47 PM
I received it in the mail yesterday from Amazon and rendered my first video with no issues whatsoever. It's really fast and my editing program (Corel Videostudio X8) ran really smooth. It did crash the first time I tried to render, but then I went ahead and installed my automatic updates (81 of them!) and had no issues after. Always install your updates first guys. Love my Asus ROG! Here's the video for those interested.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfS-2Hje0LM

Leem6453
06-08-2015, 03:25 PM
A little update on my Corel Videostudio program...I was still getting minor audio glitch issues. After trouble shooting and banging my head for days, I finally requested a refund (which they gave) and tried a new program...Adobe Premiere Elements 13. This program has been great so far...really smooth, user friendly, and zero output issues. I'm glad I switched over. My Asus loves it.

Prostar Computer
06-08-2015, 10:42 PM
Awesome! Glad it's treating you well thus far, Leem. :)

Edweird
06-09-2015, 07:18 AM
Adobe Premiere is hit-and-miss but still one of the best if not THE best. I don't think 13 is one of the better ones, though. A lot of people still swear by versions like 10. Premiere Pro is a different kind of experience altogether.