PDA

View Full Version : Just got a G74SX-A1 =)

giggidy
11-24-2011, 03:42 AM
Any pointers? First thing I'm going to do is do a clean install of windows pro 7 and install all the updated drivers... especially for the Atheros card... I hear it's giving people problems.

M

fostert
11-24-2011, 04:38 AM
Good idea. I can tell you what I did, but others here may opt for a another approach...
I first made a set of backup DVDs (about 5) containing the ASUS recovery partition contents using AI Recovery burner. Then I repartitioned the drive and merged the 25GB hidden recovery partition with the main boot partition containing Windows (i.e. C:\). I had to use a third party disk partition software (gparted, the GNU version of PartitionMagic), because I think Windows Disk Managment will not merge the 25GB partition at front with the boot partition. But to me it was worth it to recover this 25GB of otherwise wasted space.

You can then reinstall Windows 7 on this new amalgamated partition after formatting it to NTFS. This way the Windows system files end up at the front of the drive, which is the fastest part.

Anyhow as for drivers and software, check out the sticky threads at the top of the main forum posts page: JRd1st has one with pretty much the latest versions of everything common to the G74, and Chastity also has a nice linked DVD iso full of everything for the G74 that you can download and burn onto one convenient disk. When I did this 6 weeks back (when I got my G74) I liked the DVD because its convenient and it has an autorun menu that allows one to choose what ASUS software and drivers to put back on your system; the downside others wil tell you here is it now contains slightly older drivers (but I never had a single problem with any of them). Whichever sticky links you use be judicious and only install the software you want (for example besides ATK drivers, Atheros and Realtek drivers for WLAN and LAN, Fresco for USB3.0, Synaptics for the touchpad, and the ASUS app Power4Gear there was nothing else I wanted).

giggidy
11-24-2011, 05:01 AM
Good idea. I can tell you what I did, but others here may opt for a another approach...
I first made a set of backup DVDs (about 5) containing the ASUS recovery partition contents using AI Recovery burner. Then I repartitioned the drive and merged the 25GB hidden recovery partition with the main boot partition containing Windows (i.e. C:\). I had to use a third party disk partition software (gparted, the GNU version of PartitionMagic), because I think Windows Disk Managment will not merge the 25GB partition at front with the boot partition. But to me it was worth it to recover this 25GB of otherwise wasted space.

You can then reinstall Windows 7 on this new amalgamated partition after formatting it to NTFS. This way the Windows system files end up at the front of the drive, which is the fastest part.

Anyhow as for drivers and software, check out the sticky threads at the top of the main forum posts page: JRd1st has one with pretty much the latest versions of everything common to the G74, and Chastity also has a nice linked DVD iso full of everything for the G74 that you can download and burn onto one convenient disk. When I did this 6 weeks back (when I got my G74) I liked the DVD because its convenient and it has an autorun menu that allows one to choose what ASUS software and drivers to put back on your system; the downside others wil tell you here is it now contains slightly older drivers (but I never had a single problem with any of them). Whichever sticky links you use be judicious and only install the software you want (for example besides ATK drivers, Atheros and Realtek drivers for WLAN and LAN, Fresco for USB3.0, Synaptics for the touchpad, and the ASUS app Power4Gear there was nothing else I wanted).

Thanks for the heads up... there's no other way of regaining that 25gb? I was just hoping to go into windows 7 setup menu and delete all the partitions then combine then and install windows 7.

fostert
11-24-2011, 05:20 AM
If you are comfortable with deleting partitions and proceeding with a repartitioned drive for your fresh install of Windows alone, then absolutely yes: you can delete all partitions you want deleted when you arrive at Windows 7 setup and just remake a single large partition for Windows to live on. Ignore my partition-merging advice above if you're comfortable with deleting partitions and remaking them at setup time: some people on these forums are not comfortable with advising newly arriving forum members to just delete the existing partitions on the drive. But you sound like you are well aware of what to do.

giggidy
11-24-2011, 06:40 AM
sweet... besides no one really uses the asus partition ever right?

BrodyBoy
11-24-2011, 07:51 AM
I use them! ;) But no, I don't think the typical user who knows enough about their computer to want a clean install is apt to ever want or need to resore the factory setup.

Thorn2011
11-25-2011, 06:23 AM
I haven't had any issues with the pre-installed version of Win 7 64 bit yet, everything seems to work as it should so I haven't had to update any drivers except for the video drivers of course for the latest games :)

Good luck, its a good gaming laptop for the price, I am playing Crysis Warhead in 1920X1080 with everything set to GAMER and getting 25-45 fps, still good for Full HD on a laptop especially with such a demanding game like Crysis that brings most systems to its knees!

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Good luck, man.

Btw, in a few weeks if you want to experience a new machine again, do a clean install of windows followed by new drivers. :D

fostert
11-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Good luck, man.

Btw, in a few weeks if you want to experience a new machine again, do a clean install of windows followed by new drivers. :D

...or for that really new machine smell, ditch windows and install Linux! ;)

giggidy
12-04-2011, 05:06 AM
installed bios 203 and win7 is installing now :)

BrodyBoy
12-04-2011, 05:20 AM
groovy!

giggidy
12-04-2011, 05:33 AM
btw thanks for all the help brodyboy

FenrirMH
12-04-2011, 05:59 AM
You using WARHEAD on Steam, I got Crysis Maximum Edition and it's being a right pain in the ass running on Ultimate 64-bit, compatibility mode doesn't work for either XP or Vista and keeps crashing 5-20 mins in game, driving me insane (but going through it on PS3 on Delta (now thats insane, not as hard as Demon Souls or Dark Souls though), latest drivers and everything, Crysis 2 in 3D works really well, did have trouble with the original FarCry but solved that with the AMD64 patch.

giggidy
12-04-2011, 06:42 AM
crap i think i just installed win7 onto both drives...

BrodyBoy
12-04-2011, 06:46 AM
That's not possible in one installation. You installed it on just one partition....somewhere.

Unfortunately, if it looks like you have two copies of Windows installed, that means you likely installed it on the wrong drive....the secondary drive. :( So now you have the original installation and the new one.

Was this an SSD install?

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 06:50 AM
groovy!

Lol, that word brings back memories!

giggidy
12-04-2011, 07:54 AM
That's not possible in one installation. You installed it on just one partition....somewhere.

Unfortunately, if it looks like you have two copies of Windows installed, that means you likely installed it on the wrong drive....the secondary drive. :( So now you have the original installation and the new one.

Was this an SSD install?

Yeah installed on wrong drive and forgot to allocate. I just reinstalled tho and used disk manager to reallocate and format the second hd.

BrodyBoy
12-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Yeah installed on wrong drive and forgot to allocate. I just reinstalled tho and used disk manager to reallocate and format the second hd.
Well, since it's a brand new system, I imagine it was a pretty painless mistake (nothing on the data drives yet). :)

If you just formatted the second drive, why did you reinstall?

giggidy
12-04-2011, 02:30 PM
sorry meant to say formatted both drives and reinstalled OS onto primary drive