PDA

View Full Version : What is choking my bitrate?

teefn
06-06-2015, 05:18 PM
I'm having network issues on a pretty much brand new g751. I am struggling to download a game off steam. The bitrate maxes out at 1.1mbs but there is a lot of spiking. It fluctuates between 200kbs to 1.1mbs, mainly staying at 200kbs. On a different laptop (same network) my download rate holds steady at 3.5mbs. What is choking my g751?

Edit: Both my Intel Dual Band wireless-AC 7260 and Realtek PCIe GBE family controller are up to date according to device manager, if that means anything. This is really frustrating.

Also, I am my school's wireless network (which is very good) if that helps.

teefn
06-06-2015, 08:56 PM
Please someone help. I googled problems associated with this card and there are many out with slow d/l speeds but no concrete solution for a g751jt.

teefn
06-06-2015, 11:13 PM
Update: I've improved it a bit by enabling VMM in the router settings and setting the preferred band to 2.4ghz but the download rate does not even come close to my 10mb/s on my Macbook air. On my g751jt the download rate fluctuates between 1.5mb/s to 4.5mb/s. What is going on?

xdr
06-07-2015, 05:11 AM
Uninstall Asus Gamefirst.

XStatik
06-07-2015, 05:37 AM
My bitrate is acting weird too. I also uninstalled asus gamefirst and still have the issue. If i run a speed test everything comes through great but the minute i play an online game it starts spiking like crazy and basically making the game un playable. If anyone else has this issue and a fix that would be awesome. The only thing i can think to do at this point is reinstall win 8 and see if it fixes itself. Please help. Thank you

Boxis
06-07-2015, 07:49 AM
I have had terrible lag spikes in online games (CS:GO mainly) as well and had no luck with fixing it for a long time, when suddenly I have found this fix and it worked like a charm for me.

This fix disables auto-scan for available networks which our wireless card is doing pretty often and makes terrible lag spikes in games when doing so.

1. Open Registry Editor (Windows 8/8.1, right click where Start button was, click Run, type regedit. Windows 7, click Start, click Run, type regedit)

2. Head to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System\ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Class \ {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} [Be sure to expand the 4d36e.... folder]

3. Inside will be a number of folders named 0000, 0001, 0002, etc. Look through all these folders until you get one that says Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 in the registry.

4. Once the device has been found, search for a value called ScanWhenAssociated.

5. If you see this value, set it to 0 on hexadecimal. If you don't see the value, click edit from the top, select new, and click DWORD (32-bit) value. Rename this value to ScanWhenAssociated (exactly as shown). Make sure this value is set to 0 on hexadecimal.

6. Restart the computer. This is important. The changes won't take effect unless you do.

teefn
06-07-2015, 03:12 PM
I uninstalled gamefirst a while ago and it had no real impact. I will try the registry edit but I do not get severe lag in games, it's the download rate that is pretty terrible. Like the speedtest on my Macbook air at the school network is 75mb/s while on my g751 it's 4.5mb/s.

However, I have noticed brief lag spikes in some games but, again, they are not that severe. As a last resort, is the network card replaceable?

Edit: I also googled this problem and it seems there are a lot of people out there that have it but I don't really understand what they are talking about sometimes. They mention wireless N and AC but I don't know what these things mean.

Another thing to mention, the people who have/had this problem talked about changing settings on the router, however, I cannot really do that as I am using my school's network. Could the issue be some kind of incompatability between the AC 7260 and my school's network settings?