PDA

View Full Version : Any owners who have upgraded to the Samsung SM951 PCIe x3 SSD

AQUASTEVAE
06-06-2015, 07:01 PM
it says NOT to secure erase this drive, or it could become useless. does that include all methods of cleaning it, or just "secure erase"? i just don't want to end up screwing this thing up, as it is too fast and valuable to kill it with something like this. thanks for any information you might provide me.

NOTE OF INTEREST: also for those interested, macmall has this drive for $387.99, which is much cheaper than amazon. i just got it with free overnight shipping, so i have ended up paying less than .76 cents per pcie gig. not a bad deal considering the prices i have read about are almost all over a dollar a gig. what do you guys think?

Space Paste
06-07-2015, 02:11 AM
it says NOT to secure erase this drive, or it could become useless. does that include all methods of cleaning it, or just "secure erase"? i just don't want to end up screwing this thing up, as it is too fast and valuable to kill it with something like this. thanks for any information you might provide me.

NOTE OF INTEREST: also for those interested, macmall has this drive for $387.99, which is much cheaper than amazon. i just got it with free overnight shipping, so i have ended up paying less than .76 cents per pcie gig. not a bad deal considering the prices i have read about are almost all over a dollar a gig. what do you guys think?

I don't have an SM951 SSD but I've been reading about this as it applies to the XP941 drive as well. It looks like secure erase is not safe to use on these PCIe SSDs, period. Some users have already bricked theirs using any secure erase method that seems to have worked until reboot. Those who were lucky to not brick their SSDs the first time around weren't so lucky on subsequent attempts. It's also a warranty killer for the SSD.

It's my understanding that the safest approach is using DISKPART's "clean" command to mark the data as deleted, unlike "clean all" which is a secure erase command.

Also, thanks for sharing your source for a good price on the SM951. Assuming that's in USD currency I'd say you scored.

AQUASTEVAE
06-07-2015, 04:30 PM
thanks for the comment. yes, the price is in usd. thanks.