PDA

View Full Version : 551 Power cord falls out??

ewormuth
06-06-2015, 07:52 PM
I have an almost new 551, using the power cord set-up that came with the computer. Everything has worked fine so far, except when I tried to plug in the power cord today, it's basically falling out of the port (? place where you plug in). Whereas until now it's had a nice snug fit and worked fine, now it's very loose and the plug won't stay in at all. Help!

Korth
06-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Use some pliers to "stretch out" the end connector a bit, maybe. Or, if it's the sort with a nonconductive (plastic) cylinder covering the electrical (metal) contacts, maybe wrap a layer or two of electrical tape around it.

ewormuth
06-06-2015, 08:01 PM
Thanks -- even when I push it in and hold it in tightly, it still isn't making a connection. I'm not sure wrapping tape around it will solve the problem. It just pops itself out. I'm kind of in a jam -- do you think they might have an appropriate power cord at somewhere like Best Buy? Or does it have to be the official ASUS power cord?

Korth
06-06-2015, 09:12 PM
I honestly don't know. If you take the cord to Best Buy (or wherever) then they will either produce an identical replacement or they won't, lol. Maybe they even have an extra cord left over from a dead Asus machine.

If it's just the cord then it's simple enough to replace. If it's permanently attached to the wall-wart power regulator then you must make sure it has exactly the same rated VDC output and (just to be safe) the same or lower current/(milli)amps/watts. Best to order a replacement part from Asus if no exact match can be found elsewhere.

The electrical failure might be on your laptop itself, if you're unlucky. This would require some soldering, maybe a replacement connector part, perhaps a replacement power/charging module board, at worst a complete mobo replacement. If you can confirm your power cord works properly (with a DMM or another laptop to test, etc) then it's time to contact Asus for RMA or warranty/servicing, lol.

joshindaphils
06-06-2015, 11:50 PM
Check the socket in your laptop, you may have damaged it. Does it look off center, or can you move it easily? Damage to the power receptacle is one of the most common forms of damage on a laptop. If this is what happened make sure you have registered for the additional accidental damage coverage, unfortunately it is not available everywhere, then make a claim.

ewormuth
06-07-2015, 01:14 AM
Thanks, guys. The socket looks okay, not off center at all. I'm at a conference, and I took it down to the tech center to have a guy look at it. He thought that probably there was some kind of adapter on the plug that made it snug that somehow fell off. I looked at the bottom of my bag I'd carried it in and under the bed, but I'm in a hotel and if it just fell on the floor, I'm sure it's long since vacuumed up. I'm on my way tomorrow, but there's a Fry's close to here that I think I'll stop at on the way home and see what they think, if there's an adapter they can find for it. I think this should be under the warranty, such a dumb little thing to make my laptop unusable, as soon as the battery goes.
Thanks.