PDA

View Full Version : G74SX Hard Drive "Clicking Sound" and Some Other Questions

steveninspiration
11-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Just bought a G74SX-DH73-3D (3D model) so happy about it. but some things keep anoying me:

1. the Hard Drive keeps making a "clicking" like sound once a few minutes (say 5 to 10 minutes). I usually hear this kind of sound on an old HDD, and I think it wouldn't really happend to an week-old laptop...

2. the right speaker just makes a "bop" sound sometimes (just noticed today), it's reltively silent sound but hey why should I get that sound?? (and no, I'm not confused by the HDD sound, they are different)

3. every time the computer boots, the screen is automatically on "3D Vision", I see the screen flat as I browse of course but I guess the setting is a bit different (right?) then how do I set the defult mode to "3D Vision Disabled"?

beside those issues I am happy about this baby~

currently on BIOS 203 (using the ASUS "winflash" utility to make the update instead of "USB-in-DOS-mode methode", not sure if some one does it the same way and having the same problem or doing fine?)

BrodyBoy
11-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Hard drives do make a slight clicking sound sometimes when they seek, or when they're spinning up.....unless it seems abnormally loud, I wouldn't worry about it. That said, is it always the same hard drive? (The OS drive is underneath where your right wrist sits on the palmrest, and the secondary drive is under the touchpad.) If it gets louder and/or more frequent, that could indicate a problem. Defective hard drives generally fail in the first few weeks of use, but you should get a S.M.A.R.T. warning if that's actually happening.

I can't tell enough from your description what might be happening with that speaker. And I don't have a 3D model, so I can't help with those settings. Sorry.

JRd1st
11-24-2011, 10:21 AM
What brand of drive is it? As Brody says, hdd's do make some sounds, but usually, those of a type exhibit the same characteristics. My Seagate hdd is very quiet but it makes a tiny sort of squeek when it starts up.

What is the hdd power policy for the powercfg you use when you hear these sounds?

PS- always keep backups even when you don't hear your hdd making strange noises. ;)

Yahooligan
11-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Apparently the factory WD HDD has an "issue" where it parks the head after 4 seconds of idle time, then when it needs to get working again it'll make a clicking sound. My 640GB WD HDD that came with my G74 does the same thing, quite annoying.

The popping sound may be the sound card's power management. Does it make the sound just before the laptop actually plays a sound for the first time after being quiet for a while? If so then that's the power management bug, there's a registry fix that will prevent it from happening in Windows.

steveninspiration
11-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Hard drives do make a slight clicking sound sometimes when they seek, or when they're spinning up.....unless it seems abnormally loud, I wouldn't worry about it. That said, is it always the same hard drive? (The OS drive is underneath where your right wrist sits on the palmrest, and the secondary drive is under the touchpad.) If it gets louder and/or more frequent, that could indicate a problem. Defective hard drives generally fail in the first few weeks of use, but you should get a S.M.A.R.T. warning if that's actually happening.

I can't tell enough from your description what might be happening with that speaker. And I don't have a 3D model, so I can't help with those settings. Sorry.

Yes, the clicking sound is mainly from the hdd underneath where I right wrist sits, and the other one under my touchpad seldom makes the sound (when I open the folders/files in that hdd it happened). I noticed that the power4gear set the time for shutting down the hdd after 20 minutes of ideling, I just shange it to "never" because the hdd is better to be in steady state I thought. (but it doesn't appear to have any difference with the clicking sound...)

the speaker just gives those sounds like when I open some folder on my storage hdd before the windows folder-opening sound, and sometimes it just "bop" when it's ideling... really congusing... not sure if it's caused by the sudden internal current change (and I hope not...)

steveninspiration
11-24-2011, 08:28 PM
What brand of drive is it? As Brody says, hdd's do make some sounds, but usually, those of a type exhibit the same characteristics. My Seagate hdd is very quiet but it makes a tiny sort of squeek when it starts up.

What is the hdd power policy for the powercfg you use when you hear these sounds?

PS- always keep backups even when you don't hear your hdd making strange noises. ;)

I coundn't the powercfg, it pop up a dos like window and disappeared right away... but I set the high performance on power4gear (maximum performance, min processor state: 5%, max 100%, turn off hdd: never)

I think the hdd are both WesternDigital, they are WD7500BPKT, 750GB 7200RPM each.

BrodyBoy
11-24-2011, 08:30 PM
So far, your description of the drive sounds doesn't seem abnormal to me. The OS drive works a lot more than the data drive, explaining why you hear that sound more often with that one.

steveninspiration
11-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Apparently the factory WD HDD has an "issue" where it parks the head after 4 seconds of idle time, then when it needs to get working again it'll make a clicking sound. My 640GB WD HDD that came with my G74 does the same thing, quite annoying.

The popping sound may be the sound card's power management. Does it make the sound just before the laptop actually plays a sound for the first time after being quiet for a while? If so then that's the power management bug, there's a registry fix that will prevent it from happening in Windows.

Yes I think the hdd is WesternDigital, the serial is WD7500BPKT, well then I got to search more info on that. Is there any software update to change that?

the popping sound is just like you said, it happens right before the windows folder-opening sound, (while sometimes it just came out of blue like when I surf) so maybe it's just the software bug (glad to see there's a chance to fix it :) ). can you tell me how I do the registry fix? thanks.

Yahooligan
11-26-2011, 04:28 AM
Yes I think the hdd is WesternDigital, the serial is WD7500BPKT, well then I got to search more info on that. Is there any software update to change that?

the popping sound is just like you said, it happens right before the windows folder-opening sound, (while sometimes it just came out of blue like when I surf) so maybe it's just the software bug (glad to see there's a chance to fix it :) ). can you tell me how I do the registry fix? thanks.

I used the "disable always" registry file from the following URL on mine, which fixed the problem.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/587521-fix-realtek-sound-popping-high-pitched-tone-squeal.html#post7617517

fostert
11-27-2011, 12:16 AM
I had a Lacie 2TB external usb drive that would go off on some clicking noises after a few minutes of file transfers. But the stupid Lacie design put the ari vents on the bottom of the external casing, and turned out the clicks were the drive just resyncing itself in response to getting very warm. Soon as I liberated the HDD from the case (it was a seagate 5400 rpm model) the drive never clicked any more.

So it could be your disk is getting warm?

Just a thot...

dstrakele
11-27-2011, 12:54 AM
I have the same drives (WD7500BPKT) in my G74SX-A1. HD0 (the OS drive) runs at 36c and HD1 is at 30c for your comparison. I've never heard any clicking from my HDD's (but then, I'm an old dog) - only the ODD.

steveninspiration
11-30-2011, 10:05 AM
I checked the temp. and the HDD for OS is at 35C and the other one is 30C when they are making the sound...
The ODD makes quite a sound when reading DVD eh? kind of anoying when watching movies... heavn't checked when reading CD or BlueRay disks.

dstrakele
11-30-2011, 03:52 PM
SpeedFan gives a nice online diagnostic report for your HDD's. http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?4661-Question-about-HDD-G-sense-error-rate-G74SX&p=33649&viewfull=1#post33649 displays the reports for my drives and the online diagnostic for one of them.