PDA

View Full Version : Installing Solid State into an Asus G73

AgentArrow
10-06-2010, 03:03 AM
I recently bought a G73JH-A2, and I am considering installing an SSD into the computer. I searched around here, but found nothing conclusive, so I thought I'd post a topic. Does anyone recommend having an SSD to boot from in the G73? If so, is there a specific model to go for? (willing to spend <= $200)
Admittedly, I have never worked with any sort of Solid State technology, so I don't know much about installation, or about getting windows to boot from it. I've heard that it can be difficult and risky to do, so I want to get as much information as possible on the subject before actually trying it.

I thank you for your time and wisdom :)

Pyro411
10-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Greets;

At that Price range I would suggest the Intel X25-V or X25-M The v is 40gb & roughly $100, the M is roughly $200 for the 80gb models.

The only thing you really have to worry about is first find a good legal OEM CD for Windows 7 Home Premium, the Retail of Home Premium and/or Ultimate may work, I have yet to try so I can't tell you for certain. With the Clean Legal OEM CD you will not be sacrificing a major chunk of your OS Drive to a restore partition so you'll have more room.

The reason I suggested the Intel drives is performance/power usage/native trim support :) so good fun there.

Before the Install I'd suggest upgrading your bios to the latest followed by upgrade your video bios if you haven't already, than install the OS followed by chipset drivers, video drivers, atk/acpi drivers, audio drivers, then the rest of your drivers. After all Drivers are installed, run the program SSDTweaker http://sourceforge.net/projects/ssdtweaker/ which will basically do the regedit tweaks for you than help guide you through stopping drive indexing, swap file, etc on the SSD to help the longevity.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll have more time to reply to them when I get home in about 4 hours

Low023
10-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Have you considered one of the new Hybrid Drives? They are not as fast as straight SSD Drives but I just ordered a 500Gb one for $129.99 from Newegg. They get terrific reviews for speed and seem to be a no brainer, to me at least. Plus you don't have to worry about SSD Partition Alignment or any other of the hardships involved in going straight SSD. If you haven't checked out hybrid drives coming to market, do a bit of research on the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid Drive. Hope this helps a bit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148591

TKS
12-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Few simple things:

(In addition to the first person replying). Aside from advising that you go with the newer 320 series of Intel SSD's for price and performances sake, there really is no problem with running a SSD (installation and all) as your boot drive/OS drive. What I did on my g74sx-xn1, was just take out the OEM HDD and put it into the second slot, and popped the SSD in the first. FW updated and got it TRIMed using the Intel Toolbox. Booted up my windows CD, installed windows, and just reformated the OEM. Both work great now. (Boot time since I did a fresh install is not even 15-20 seconds to see the windows desktop screen). Now the one thing I do have a gripe with was with the 2nd SSD I bought for my PS3 (obviously cannot TRIM at this point in time) so I think I need to unload it and hook it up to the laptop weekly, fml.

Cipher
12-24-2011, 01:38 PM
I've dropped an OCZ 120GB SSD (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZBAPA0/ref=oh_o06_s00_i00_details) into my G73JH and I've been very happy with it. Boot times went down from around three minutes to 34 seconds to a logon screen with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. The price is right at around $170 from the link above and the storage space is enough for the all the weird applications I run as well.

Putting it in dropped the drive temperature a 15C fro 45C to 30C) and the overall system temperature a full 7C to 54C. I figure this can't be a bad thing. :p

One thing to remember with Win7 and SSDs: Win7 likes to defragment the hard drive in the background and with a solid-state drive fragmentation is irrelevant. I've heard some (albeit apocryphal) tales of woe of defrags reducing SSD lifetimes.