PDA

View Full Version : G551 - How to install Windows 8 to new SSD

Crystalface
06-11-2015, 02:30 PM
I want to replace the slow mechanical drive in my new g551 with an SSD.

There is no serial key for windows with my laptop, how do I activate windows 8 on the new drive?

Regards

joshindaphils
06-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Image the SSD from your HDD, then use the recovery if needed.

j_j
06-11-2015, 04:39 PM
Use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free. Menu Wizard- migrate OS to hdd. enjoy

hexaae
06-11-2015, 05:03 PM
Doesn't work. I migrated my G751JY from standard 128GB SSD to EVO 850 SSD 1TB: Windows fails to boot, and automatically starts recovery partition instead (???).
The copy was exactly the same with the same partitions and same sizes, but it doesn't work. All flags were ok of course (BOOTABLE partition etc. etc.) but no way.
EFI issues?
Tried with Mini Tool Partition Wizard 9 and Macrium Reflect. Windows 8.1 bootable CD didn't help either and wasn't able to "fix" the new 1TB drive.

j_j
06-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Cannot be. System parrtition may be corrupted, check it, try recover.
Partitions should look like this : http://www.image-share.com/ijpg-2975-143.html

hexaae
06-13-2015, 11:20 AM
It's a perfect image of old partitions on the new SSD. Doesn't work though and always boots from recovery, believe me. Have no idea why.

See also this thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?60958-G751JY-OS-Migration-problem&p=502162#post502162

johnnymiyake
06-14-2015, 03:43 AM
guys,

I have problem fresh install windows 8.1 on my new SSD as well.
My machine is G751JT.
Remove old HDD, installed SSD on Master HDD bay, only 1 hard disk installed, so that I'm sure I install windows on the ssd.
Follow steps from the sticky post https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59224-Install-Guide-for-Windows-8-1-on-G751-freeDOS-(no-windows-out-of-the-box)&p=485103&viewfull=1#post485103
however upon completed step 2, the installer message was "remove USB media and will reboot to complete installation...", my G751JT won't boot up, showing message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

it seems G751JT BIOS won't regconize the SSD as bootable device, in boot menu, only the bluray drive available.
BIOS ver. : 205

I have use the USB windows 8.1 installer to boot up again, check the SSD,
partitions are created already.

Partition 1 : Recovery
Partition 2 : System
Partition 3 : MSR
Partition 4 : Primary

please help... thanks, guys...

Clintlgm
06-14-2015, 03:18 PM
Try hitting the Esc key on boot up that will bring up a boot menu select your ssd.
It sound like some how your boot manager didn't get installed on the SSD? I haven't seen this issue before, but if selecting your SSD doesn't work You'll probably be best off reinstalling again. You might want to check out these tutorial to insure you get installed correctly http://www.eightforums.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7156303416008077%3A205v6qk06j2&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=how+to+install+UEFI

Get all your hardware drivers here Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1), you need them all except for Bloatware you don't want to run.

johnnymiyake
06-15-2015, 01:07 AM
hit esc goes into BIOS, check the boot menu.
only USB sticks, BluRay drive available.
reinstall few times, same issue.

put back old HDD, connected to slave HDD bay.
when boot up, was bring to a screen where i can chose which windows 8(2 options in my case) to boot into.
choose the first 1, will boot from ssd, same as before, unable to boot up.

chosee the other windows 8, it boot from the old HDD.

went check the disk by using "DISKPART".

show both hard disk(SSD & HDD) were GPT(was thinking the SSD is MBR, unsupported)

hmm... i guess I cannot use the installer which i created by using tool in the microsoft website.

perhaps it will only works by install clean Windows 8.1 core

thanks for the link, will check it out.

Clintlgm
06-15-2015, 04:09 PM
Yes you are showing 2 versions of window 8, the one on the SSD and the one on your hard drive and since both were in your notebook, window installed Dual Boot. However it did not write a boot sector to your SSD and the windows on your hard drive has the boot sector. So Remove your hard drive and use the recovery disk USB what ever and Run Repair install on the SSD installation. you will have to run it several times since the boot sector is written to the very beginning of the disk so Windows will have to move some data to get space to write a boot sector with the Repair installs Buy many time like 5 to 8 or so times.
Once you have the SSD booting, then format the C:/ from your Hard drive do this with the hard drive connected USB

johnnymiyake
06-17-2015, 08:23 AM
finally my G751JT running on SSD now!
the problem seems to be the INTEL 730 SSD

I swapped the INTEL 730 SSD with CRUCIAL M500
went through same procedure, and it works.

now i realized the INTEL 730 SSD was previously having same issue with my desktop rig!
eventually I used it as my secondary SSD, no WINDOWS in it, just install software, games, media files.

knowing it is one of the better SSD in the market, so, I wanted it in my G751JT....
and I have gone through hell all over again! :(

is it known issue of INTEL 730 series SSD?
what do I do with it now? LOL

Clintlgm
06-18-2015, 03:26 AM
Well I would use the warranty and get one that works that's what I would do. I never heard about Intel SSD's that don't work you must have gotten a bad one. You got that 5 year warranty use it.