PDA

View Full Version : Booting to larger hard drive

kcooper225
06-12-2015, 11:57 AM
I have the G751 with the 256 Internal SSD (Partitioned to 128 each) and 1 TB mechanical hard drive installed. I have removed the 1TB Drive and installed a 500 SSD. How do I get the laptop to boot to the new 500 SSD. I cloned the 256 SSD to the 500, but no matter how I set the boot up options in the Bios, it keeps booting to the 256 SSD. I tried the Turn OFF Secure Boot and Turned on CMS??? option.

Clintlgm
06-12-2015, 01:31 PM
on boot hit the Esc key this will bring up a boot menu select your 500 GB SSD,
another solution is to remove your 256 GB SSD and boot up your 500 GB if all is well save your 256 GB as a back up drive for the future.
If your still not booting then you didn't Clone your entire SSD to your 500 GB SSD and that is what you will need to do. with UEFI you can't just clone the C:\ partition you need all the hidden partitions for booting. Use Macrium Reflect Free (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)to run the clone it will work first time every time.

Prostar Computer
06-12-2015, 05:46 PM
The only change you should have to make in BIOS is the device priority. CSM and Secure Boot can be left as they were. If the system is still booting to the other drive, then like Clintlgm said, the clone may not have carried over correctly.