PDA

View Full Version : G74sx wont go to sleep

xxTAKIxx
11-25-2011, 03:14 PM
I bought a G74sx-xn1 from newegg a month ago. everything runs great except that for some reason, it wont go to sleep.

For power management, it's set to high performanc; No screen saver turned on and the screen is set to turn off after 15 mins. and when resume, it will bring you to the logon screen.

However, no matter what power profile i set the laptop to, may it be balance, high performance or whatever, the display will not dim or turn off.

I have tried switching to different power profile, the laptop just wont go to sleep, nor does the screen ever turn off. but strangely, i noticed some time the laptop will go to the logon screen after a while, yet the screen would never turn off.

does anyone experience this and know how to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

fuzon1337
11-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Hi

I would download CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard) and run the register to check if it finds something that can mess with the register for your notebook :) (clean it for register faults/trash)

And perhaps you could go to: controlpanel -> System and Security -> Power options.
When you are in there, on the left side you can "Choose what happends when screen shuts down" or "choose what happens when the lid is closed" (+ more options). See if something is changed in there.

xxTAKIxx
11-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Hi

I would download CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard) and run the register to check if it finds something that can mess with the register for your notebook :) (clean it for register faults/trash)

And perhaps you could go to: controlpanel -> System and Security -> Power options.
When you are in there, on the left side you can "Choose what happends when screen shuts down" or "choose what happens when the lid is closed" (+ more options). See if something is changed in there.

will try that... thanks for your quick response. will post my result after. Thanks!

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Skype? Or something hardware is keeping it awake? Powercfg set to never! Lol Many things could cause it.

I once had an optical mouse that would keep my pc awake whwn the Sun was shining on my desk!

ricksaint
11-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Maybe this will help (how to disable and RESTORE Sleep):

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/85194-sleep-disable-shut-down-menu.html

BrodyBoy
11-25-2011, 11:42 PM
If the display doesn't even go off when you close it, that suggests that the lid switch isn't working. It doesn't necessarily mean the hardware switch itself is bad- it could just be that the registry options for that function are messed up.

I'd first try reinstalling or updating the chipset driver.

xxTAKIxx
11-27-2011, 06:32 AM
I thought it may be some software running in the background preventing the laptop's display from turning off. however, w/ my old laptop (not asus), i installed the exact same softwares but i never encountered this problem. so I suspect it's the asus power4gear hybrid's doing. i tried fuzon1337's suggestions and chked the power option but didnt find anything that may be causing this issue.

However, over the weekend while I was using the laptop unplugged, the laptop would switch to the battery saving mode and after 3 mins., the display would turned off. but when i tried it again w/ the other profiles the display stays on after the set time (15mins).

So I then went into the power4gear advance setting, turned off the hard drive automatically shut off and that seemed to do the trick. so for now it is working.

i will post an update if the problem comes up again.

Thank you all for your help.

BrodyBoy
11-27-2011, 06:39 AM
Here I go again.... ;o)

Take this as a sign that Power4Gear is bad software that can wreak unexpected, hard-to-diagnose havoc on your system. Uninstall it, use Windows power management, and avoid these kinds of hassles.