PDA

View Full Version : G74SX-DH72 HDD question

user
11-25-2011, 03:36 PM
The notebook come with 2 hdd. The 160 GB SSD is my c drive (came named OS) and came w/ 70 GB free space, so they obviously put everything on it. Since the computer is showing two additional drive SDATA1 (D:) and SDATA2 (E:) I assume that they partitioned the 750GB; I guess I don't like assuming so thats a question hehe. would the first partition (D) be slightly faster than the second (E)? I know real noobish questions but I just don't know the answer. Thank you so much for your time in answering.

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 05:26 PM
If D is on the inside then it's a little faster, but they could have reversed the naming, I don't know.

Look in Administrative tools >> Computer management >> Disk Management and you'll see what you have. ;)

BrodyBoy
11-25-2011, 08:11 PM
The notebook come with 2 hdd. The 160 GB SSD is my c drive (came named OS) and came w/ 70 GB free space, so they obviously put everything on it. Since the computer is showing two additional drive SDATA1 (D:) and SDATA2 (E:) I assume that they partitioned the 750GB; I guess I don't like assuming so thats a question hehe. would the first partition (D) be slightly faster than the second (E)? I know real noobish questions but I just don't know the answer. Thank you so much for your time in answering.
The two partitions on your secondary hard drive operate at the same speed. Personally, I like organizing my stuff on different partitions, but if the partitioning bothers you, you can easily merge the two SDATA partitions into one large D: drive. You can also rename them or re-size them, if you like, to better suit the way you want to organize your data. All of this is easily done in the Disk Management utility.

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot that the bytes read and write at the same speed no matter where on the drive it happens. Thanks for reminding me.