PDA

View Full Version : Got some qeustions about the Asus G73JH

Apeguy
11-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Hello there reader,

I reinstalled my OS on my laptop some days ago. Downloaded all drivers installed correctly, only got some problems and some questions. One driver called: "Intel Turbo boost" doenst want too get installed. I get the error: Youre computer doesnt meet the minium requirements for installing this software". How can i install/fix this?!

And the rest of the qeustions are:
1. whats the difference between twinturboboost en intel boost?
2. Also the sleep button next too the twinturboboost button doesnt work how do i fix this?

thanks!

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 05:12 PM
You need to install TBfrom the Asus driver cd the first time.

I'm not sure about twin tb but ithink its controlled by the turbo button.

You need to install Atk Package andPower4Gearhybrid for those buttons to work. Maybe the kb filter too.

All that stuff is in my New Drivers sticky.

Apeguy
11-25-2011, 08:45 PM
hm... i installed all those drivers.. but my laptop became rather slow. But intel boost is working now.. poorly the sleep button isnt working.

got any more tips on the sleep button?

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Now you can update your TB monitor if youn want.

Which drivers made your system "ridiculously" slow and how did you ascertain that slowness?

Apeguy
11-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Now you can update your TB monitor if youn want.

will do that now.

Which drivers made your system "ridiculously" slow and how did you ascertain that slowness?

i deleted my old ATK package, rebooted the pc and installed the new ATK package did it for almost al drivers in youre list. But after that my boot increased by about 3 minutes! (checked it with the Soluto tool.)

what should i do about it?!

BrodyBoy
11-25-2011, 09:17 PM
i deleted my old ATK package, rebooted the pc and installed the new ATK package did it for almost al drivers in youre list. But after that my boot increased by about 3 minutes! (checked it with the Soluto tool.)

what should i do about it?!
Those really slow boot times are often the result of Windows trying, and eventually failing, to find a driver or other important key component. There comes a point when drivers are so messed up (old ones are seldom actually uninstalled...they remain as .dll and registry detritus) that a clean install is not only the best solution, but the fastest one as well.

Apeguy
11-25-2011, 09:25 PM
hm.. i just reinstalled my windows about 2 days ago.

but i find it no problem too reinstall it again.

I want too send my laptop back too Asus factory soon because i have head isseus.
But have some qeustions.

1. doesnt reinstalling void my warranty?!
2. Can they also fix the sleep button, or would it be my fault because the button stopped working after reinstalling. (wich means i need to pay for it.)

maybe some stupid qeustions.. but i never used warranty for a product so i m kinda new too it!

thanks!

BrodyBoy
11-25-2011, 09:29 PM
hm.. i just reinstalled my windows about 2 days ago.

but i find it no problem too reinstall it again.

I want too send my laptop back too Asus factory soon because i have head isseus.
But have some qeustions.

1. doesnt reinstalling void my warranty?!
2. Can they also fix the sleep button, or would it be my fault because the button stopped working after reinstalling. (wich means i need to pay for it.)

maybe some stupid qeustions.. but i never used warranty for a product so i m kinda new too it!

thanks!
Re-stalling Windows doesn't affect your warranty at all. If you send it to them, they just do a factory restoration, which you could do yourself if you still have the recovery partition (or made a set of recovery disks). It's unlikely that the sleep button problem is hardware, but if it is, and they can replicate it, they would probably replace the power button board.

PS: If you DO want to try another clean install, try using the latest ATK package that's listed on your model's support page. Just for sh*** & giggles. :) I'm starting to think that ATK updates get written for bugs in the newest model, in this case the G74 keyboard and touchpad issues, so the latest iteration is not necessarily the best option for every machine.

fuzon1337
11-25-2011, 09:33 PM
As far as I know you can reinstall your notebook as many times you want.

After I got my notebook I reinstalled and after RMA service I reinstalled, so there is nor problem with that :)

I would give CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard) a chance to see if that fix some of your problems.
Use register when installed and check for old register files that is faulty/trash. Hopes this help :)
(feeling like I'm handing out that program to everyone but I find it very important to have, after it fixed a lot of problems on my old notebook :) )

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 09:36 PM
... and install the chipset drivers first, restart, then Atk package, then restart, the one at a time each driver until device manager isn't screaming for more. Restarting between driver installs also helps to isolate problems.

Apeguy
11-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Re-stalling Windows doesn't affect your warranty at all. If you send it to them, they just do a factory restoration, which you could do yourself if you still have the recovery partition (or made a set of recovery disks).

well, the Recovery partition doesnt work anymore becuase of a Linux installation long time ago, but ah well i dont need it anyway i will use the extra space for other stuff.

Thanks guys. Then i shall reinstall my laptop once again and get the drivers from the support website. shouldnt i get the drivers from JRd1st his list?

after that i will send my laptop. Or.. shall i send my laptop there now and reinstall my laptop after they fixed the problems?!

Thanks guys.

BrodyBoy
11-25-2011, 09:44 PM
I would give it one more try yourself, if you still have the patience. (To be clear, I was only talking about the ATK package.....for all other drivers, use the latest one available.)

If you do end up sending it to them, then yes, you should probably do a clean install afterwards.

Apeguy
11-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Hm.. well it still needs to go there for the heat issue (laptop gets too the 110 degrees on Age of empires 2.)

But i wanted too fix the most myself first so i could learn from it. i m learning for Computer professional, just started with it.

Greetings apeguy

BrodyBoy
11-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize that it also had an overheating issue. If the CPU needs a repaste and you don't want to do that yourself, then yes, just send it in and get that out of the way. As I mentioned, they'll do a factory restore, so unless you use a different hard drive and remove it before sending it to them, they'll overwrite your configuration anyway. No point in putting a lot of work into it now and then re-doing it all after you get it back.

Apeguy
11-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks for telling that! cush i didnt really understand the warranty agreement. Tought i needed to send a laptop with full drivers and stuff because i otherwise needed to pay for it.. yeah, sounds kinda stupid now.. after i think about it. Hm.. that means i also could add the sleep button too the repair list.. or should i do that myself after i got it back?!

Thanks for the answers so far guys!

BrodyBoy
11-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Definitely mention the sleep button problem and ask them to ensure that it works properly before they send it back to you. They will assume, probably correctly, that the malfunction is a software problem.....and that it'll be fixed with the factory restore. But you should emphasize....including putting a big ole' sticker right on the button!....that you want them to check it after the repair. Make sure they understand that's part of what you're sending it in for.

Apeguy
11-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Thanks, if i have anymore qeustions for you guys about sending it back, i will ask it here!

and thanks again, awesome help here and fast response!

i m off too bed now!

Sleep well and greetings apeguy

INzider
11-27-2011, 05:45 AM
RMA wont change anything....
Look ove the net, some peeps went through 5 RMA and the cpu still dosen't work as it should.
This **** is less stable then financial market.

Apeguy
01-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Hello people,

Could someone help me out with the drivers? i reinstalled windows yesterday but i still dont really get wich drivers i need!

first off we got the drivers from JRd1st page.
then we have the drivers from the asus support web page.
en at last we have the driver CD.

All packed with different drivers, could someone explain me wich drivers i actually need for my G73JH?

dstrakele
01-11-2012, 04:30 PM
You'll need drivers for the following devices:

I've tried to include a description and then how the associated devices may appear or where they may appear in Device Manager (in parentheses). Some devices may appear under "Other devices" until a driver is installed.

Intel Chipset (System Devices and Universal Serial Bus controllers)
ATK Package
Graphics (Display Adapters)
Audio (Sound, video, and game controllers)
LAN (Ethernet Controller in other devices or Network adapters)
WLAN (Network adapters)
Bluetooth (Bluetooth Radios)
Touchpad (Mice and other pointing devices)
Camera (Imaging Devices)
Card Reader (USB2.0-CRW in Other devices)

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G73Jh&p=3&s=252 (for G73JH ONLY - you'll need to select your OS) will give you an idea of the drivers that shipped with your system. This is probably identical to the drivers on the CD - in other words, out of date.

You are best off finding the more recent versions of the specific drivers you need in the following threads:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s

You can also get the most recent drivers directly from the device manufacturer's web sites.

Apeguy
01-12-2012, 04:40 PM
hm.. almost got everything installed but only one driver wont install and thats the LAN driver. i get a error saying: "atheros LAN driver" and then the installer exits...

dstrakele
01-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Did you try installing the LAN driver from Safe Mode? Redownloading the driver (in case it is corrupt on your system)? If you do redownload, try saving or extracting the driver files into a simple path like C:\Atheros\. I have seen cases where a complex path caused installation problems (but not for this particular driver).

Apeguy
01-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Poorly, both of those methods didn't work! Still get the error! any more ideas? :)

BrodyBoy
01-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Poorly, both of those methods didn't work! Still get the error! any more ideas? :)
A couple thoughts come to mind:

1) Is there any chance that your model uses a Realtek LAN chip?

2) What driver is showing up in Device Manager for the ethernet device? Have you tried using the LAN port to see if it works? If Windows already installed native support, it's possible that the driver installer see the existing driver and exits.

Apeguy
01-15-2012, 08:02 PM
1) Is there any chance that your model uses a Realtek LAN chip? No, i already checked

2) What driver is showing up in Device Manager for the ethernet device? Have you tried using the LAN port to see if it works?
only the one for wireless: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
nothing more in the list, also if i put the lan cable in there it doesnt react too it.

BrodyBoy
01-15-2012, 09:27 PM
only the one for wireless: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
nothing more in the list, also if i put the lan cable in there it doesnt react too it.
Hmm....that's not good. Is there an unknown device listed in Device Manager? Even without a driver, Windows should be detecting the hardware and at least showing it as an unknown device.

How did you check to see what the LAN chip is?

Apeguy
01-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Hmm....that's not good. Is there an unknown device listed in Device Manager? Even without a driver, Windows should be detecting the hardware and at least showing it as an unknown device. Poorly there are no unkown devices

How did you check to see what the LAN chip is? well, i downloaded the realtek driver before. (not so smart...) and the installer gave me the message that i didnt had an Realtek lan chip so it exited...

BrodyBoy
01-15-2012, 10:01 PM
It's starting to look like Windows is seeing no on-board LAN device....at all. You should probbaly check in the BIOS to make sure it isn't disabled.

PS: If you just hit the "Reply with Quote" option at the bottom of a link, that post will be automatically included in your response, in a quote box. That makes posts/threads easier to follow.

Apeguy
01-16-2012, 06:10 PM
It's starting to look like Windows is seeing no on-board LAN device....at all. You should probbaly check in the BIOS to make sure it isn't disabled.

PS: If you just hit the "Reply with Quote" option at the bottom of a link, that post will be automatically included in your response, in a quote box. That makes posts/threads easier to follow.

Been in to the BIOS cant find a option too disable the LAN driver. its a really minimal BIOS :O

dstrakele
01-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Do you see an "Ethernet Controller" device under "Other devices" in Device Manager? If so, right-click on it and choose "Update Driver Software" from the popup menu and select "Browse my computer for driver software" and point it to the folder where you've stored the LAN driver files. Then click on the "Next" button.

If you don't see "Ethernet Controller", and it doesn't show up after choosing "Action-Scan for hardware changes" from the Device Manager top menu, you may need to prepare for an RMA.