PDA

View Full Version : Notebook forum at: support.asus.com?

MatG
11-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Is it me or is there no support forum for notebook owners at support.asus.com?

Or is this forum the place to go when you need support for asus notebooks?

BrodyBoy
11-25-2011, 08:06 PM
I could be wrong, but my impression is that it's a user forum and has no more professional help than this one does.

Boosted_R
11-25-2011, 08:12 PM
this forum does have paid ASUS staff moderating this forum. So I would assume this is an offical ASUS forum.

BrodyBoy
11-25-2011, 08:15 PM
They both have "official" folks that weigh in occasionally, and both are sponsored by Asus, but I wouldn't call either one an actual Asus support service. 99% of the help just comes from other users.

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 08:26 PM
This forum needs better moderation. The spammers are getting rampant.

MatG
11-25-2011, 08:44 PM
This forum is indispensable, no doubt about that!

But when i visit support.asus.com -as i would think many others do- then i click on "community" and i see some forums like: Announcements, Audio Cards, Graphic Card, LCD Monitors and etc.. But not any Notebook forum?
The odd thing is that if i do a search on google, i get some hits that shows some links that says something like: vip.asus.com › Forum › Notebook › ..but you can't find it manually

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Vip my ass. Nothing is less important at Asus than post-sale customer support. They make a big show, but when it comes to delivering support you get horror stories from their RMA victims.

AQUASTEVAE
11-25-2011, 09:13 PM
now jr, you should try to open up, and express your feelings. holding back isn't healthy. don't be too shy to tell us how you feel.

MatG
11-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Vip my ass. Nothing is less important at Asus than post-sale customer support. They make a big show, but when it comes to delivering support you get horror stories from their RMA victims.

Damn..i have always been a proud asus consumer, but after i realized they don't care about keeping up a good support, i must say that the result is that i don't think i'll buy asus product again.

Support is one of the thing i value alot when spend my hard earned money. I'm impressed that a big company like asus don't know that without support, you are nothing.

BrodyBoy
11-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Damn..i have always been a proud asus consumer, but after i realized they don't care about keeping up a good support, i must say that the result is that i don't think i'll buy asus product again.

Support is one of the thing i value alot when spend my hard earned money. I'm impressed that a big company like asus don't know that without support, you are nothing.
And for many, that's the least of their sins. Poor quality control means that there are an awful lot of machines that ship with issues out-of-box. FOr the owners who end up with those units, the lack of follow-up support is more like salt in the wound.

It's a real dilemma for me: I like Asus notebooks a lot when they're working right. And I haven't found another brand that I like better. But I REALLY hate patronizing huge corporations that don't give a rat's behind about their customers, and Asus has proven time and again that they don't.

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 09:46 PM
It's a real dilemma for me: I like Asus notebooks a lot when they're working right. And I haven't found another brand that I like better. But I REALLY hate patronizing huge corporations that don't give a rat's behind about their customers, and Asus has proven time and again that they don't.

Those are EXACTLY my sentiments. :mad:

MatG
11-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Count me in on that one too.

Just created a group..in frustration ;)

please join in and/or spread the word: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/group.php?groupid=11

Boosted_R
11-26-2011, 12:04 AM
100% agree with everything said....... ASUS needs to step up their game. Bought my computer in August, and have been dealing with Nvidia driver issues every since. ASUS needs to come out and say something about these issues, because its getting ridiculous...... sorry to get off topic lol

AQUASTEVAE
11-26-2011, 01:19 AM
well, just to play devil's advocate, asus does have one of the better warranties on the market, at least from my experience. two year global and one year accident, which can be pushed to two years accident if you send in some form, i was told (won't have mine in my hands for a few more days now).

but on the real, i totally agree. if you are going to put out a product that you advertise as "the new king", you should back it up with thoroughly testing the hardware in it, and making sure things are worked out before releasing it. or at least, giving excellent support when things don't work out. things like putting the cheap wifi card in, when an excellent one only adds $30 to the RETAIL costs. while this is a very nice notebook, there are many common sense things that they could have done better.

Icemanforlife
11-26-2011, 06:11 PM

The only people in Asus that have actually helped me is Chastity. I love Asus products, but my one experience with their customer support made me frustrated.

Lorca
11-27-2011, 07:23 AM
I guess I'm one those lucky ones that had a great Asus laptop out of the box(heck, I still have the old 201 BIO) Anyways, after hearing all this about this "legendary" Asus bad support, all of the sudden I feel like a husband who finds out that his wife used to be a hooker.

BrodyBoy
11-27-2011, 07:39 AM
I guess I'm one those lucky ones that had a great Asus laptop out of the box(heck, I still have the old 201 BIO) Anyways, after hearing all this about this "legendary" Asus bad support, all of the sudden I feel like a husband who finds out that his wife used to be a hooker.
I'm sure there are plenty of Asus laptops that are trouble-free out of the box. The frustration is that, when issues DO occur, Asus is pretty bad about helping to resolve them. Hopefully, yours will never give you any problems and you shall only know them by their legend! ;o)

xeromist
11-29-2011, 09:03 PM
this forum does have paid ASUS staff moderating this forum. So I would assume this is an offical ASUS forum.

Yes, this is an official forum but it is a user-to-user forum. That's a distinction that a lot of people don't understand. This forum is not meant to replace any other form of support (however good or bad that may be). The staff that visit this forum are primarily assigned to other duties. Any support that they provide is during any free time they might have. Most of biggest posters here are customers like you an me.

This forum needs better moderation. The spammers are getting rampant.

The staff is aware of the problem. The issue is that ASUS wants to keep this as open and easy for new (legitimate) people as possible. That makes it easier for spammers. :P Plus it was a holiday weekend so I think a lot of the moderators (including myself) were otherwise occupied with friends and family.

JRd1st
11-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Aren't you newly a moderator? Your tag used to say RoG Police or something, didn't it?

Cat
11-29-2011, 09:44 PM
I never deal with ASUS directly due to the nightmare stories I hear. All my support questions go through either users or my retailer (komplett.se) which have great support. Always managed to solve my problems so far.

Of course, there's still that damn numlock key to deal with... Is it at all possible to mod a BIOS?

JRd1st
11-29-2011, 09:49 PM
I never deal with ASUS directly due to the nightmare stories I hear. All my support questions go through either users or my retailer (komplett.se) which have great support. Always managed to solve my problems so far.

Of course, there's still that damn numlock key to deal with... Is it at all possible to mod a BIOS?
Its possible if you know how.

Send your concerns in a pm to gary_key

xeromist
11-30-2011, 02:00 AM
Aren't you newly a moderator? Your tag used to say RoG Police or something, didn't it?

My role and abilities are the same, Brian just decided to change my title before he left. He originally thought that was a funny title because I had volunteered to help with the spam problem. I guess he decided something more clear was better. Even though this title is less unique I like it better because some people have negative associations with the police. No sense someone being pissed at me for no reason. :D

Cat
11-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Its possible if you know how.

Would it be legal for someone to post a modded version of the 203 BIOS with no change other than binding the calculator key to NUM LOCK? Anyone have the know-how?

JRd1st
11-30-2011, 12:37 PM
People post modded video card bios's all the time so I don't think this would be different as long as it's been tested and the post isn't somehow malicious and it's clearly marked as a modded bios.

I do not have that know-how, though.

It's pretty sad when people want to mod a system BIOS to fix basic problems that should have been addressed by the manufacturer a long time ago.

For instance, restore the clocking settings so we can add faster memory AND have it run at a faster speed. This IS, after all, a high performance computer and since " the G74 has the firepower to shock and awe the competition." shouldn't the BIOS be designed to allow us to compete, like in 3DMark11? Hmmmmm . . . . .?

:heavy sigh: The "notebook asus" is certainly a different animal from the "motherboard asus" I used as a reference when I bought this orphaned piece of work.

Cat
11-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Ah well. I'm trying to learn programming right now, but I'm guessing it will take at least a couple years before I have enough knowledge to do something like this. Plus, there's also the ever-present possibility of me bricking my computer.

JRd1st
11-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Send a pm to gary_key with your concerns. :D

Cat
11-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Sent to Gary Key:

"As you are no doubt aware, a lot of users are seeking NUM LOCK functionality for their G74SX button which is now bound to a calculator. Is there any word on this happening in the near future? And if not, would you be able to release tools for editing the BIOS so that users will be able to mod the functionality in themselves? This is currently the main thing that is making me dissatisfied with an otherwise great product, and it's a pity that it's such a simple problem as a key not having the function you'd expect."

JRd1st
11-30-2011, 02:24 PM
:thumbsup: :)

tinrat
12-29-2011, 03:19 AM

I bought 2 notebooks. won't even let me register them. Tells me my s/n is invalid. Went to the FAQ. My product tag is nothing like the product tag they show. This will be my last ASUS investment.

_
12-29-2011, 05:32 AM
I bought 2 notebooks. won't even let me register them. Tells me my s/n is invalid. Went to the FAQ. My product tag is nothing like the product tag they show. This will be my last ASUS investment.

Hi Tinrat,

Can you attach a picture of your product tag to a reply post and tell me where you bought it from and I will chase it up with the US office.

There should be no reason you cannot register them. Which URL are you going to to register?

PILGRIM
12-29-2011, 09:02 AM

Hi.

Was the ASUS site you tried to register your notebooks into, the same as this one? https://vip.asus.com/login.aspx

I've been registering my ASUS laptops on this site without any problems..