PDA

View Full Version : G74sx - External monitor via VGA lose signal

virtueed
11-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Hi, just bought a G74sx and I'm very happy about it.

I just have an annoying problem with external projector (mitsubishi HC3800, fullhd 60hz) and vga connection: the signal is lost randomly and to reactivate it I have to re-detect the external monitor.

This is not happening with HDMI connection.

Could it be a problem due to the fact that I have updated NVIDIA driver to 285.62 to play Battlefield 3?

Cheers!
Mirko.

JRd1st
11-26-2011, 10:44 AM
You don't get any error messages?

virtueed
11-26-2011, 11:03 PM
No messages and no errors. Just a switch from the projector to the g74 screen without any interruption in what I was doing.
I checked that the cable was plugged correctly on both devices and it was.

I have another laptop and I don't have this problem on vga port so I'm quite sure it depends on the g74. It's new and covered by warranty so I will contact Asus support to check what's going on. It actually also happened once in one week that the notebook rebooted by himself without any previous notice while I was surfing the internet so maybe there's some hardware issue to solve.

JRd1st
11-26-2011, 11:50 PM
Install the wifi driver in my New Drivers thread. Assuming you have an arheros card, that is.

Unnastall the old one and restart, first. The driver the unit ships with is bad news and causes all kinds of problems even when it isn't being used.

dstrakele
11-27-2011, 12:08 AM
I'd also be tempted to uninstall your current ATK Package from "Control Panel-Uninstall a program", REBOOT, and install ATK Package 1.00.0014. There may be something funky happening with your Fn-F8 key that controls switching from laptop monitor to external monitor.

I have a G74SX-A1 and use the VGA connection to my external monitor without issue. However, I am running the stock 268.37 NVIDIA driver, and have the external monitor configured as an extended desktop, which eliminates the Fn-F8 switching function. You may be encountering the dreaded "NVIDIA TDR" issue (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=100800&hl=nvlddmkm) with your more recent driver.

The unscheduled reboot of your system is of concern. Is there a "Bugcheck" Event in the "Summary of Administrative Events" in the "Critical" section? If so, what is the bugcheck code? You might also check the "Error" and "Warning" sections as well to see if there is anything corresponding to the VGA problem.

Do you have any other refresh rate choices for the Mitsubishi projector? If so, I'd be tempted to try a value lower than 60 hz to see if it resolves the issue.

Were you using the same VGA cable when you tested on the other laptop? And did you test for the same amount of time, if not longer?

virtueed
11-27-2011, 10:25 PM
@JRd1st --> I have an Atheros and is working perfectly. Should I update the driver anyway?

@dstrakele --> I have updated ATK to 1.0.0014 but I can't test VGA untill tuesday. I will post my results after the test. And yes the cable used with the other laptop is the same. About the reboot, yes there's an event corresponding to it in the critical sections of "Summary of Administrative Events" with source = Kernel-Power and BugcheckCode = 0

Thank you all for your help!

JRd1st
11-28-2011, 12:01 AM
You may think that...

Yes!

dstrakele
11-28-2011, 12:21 AM
I have updated ATK to 1.0.0014 but I can't test VGA untill tuesday. I will post my results after the test.

If you should encounter the display switch or unscheduled reboot issue, note the time and then check the System and Application Event Logs for any Errors or Warnings that occurred from that time up to 2-3 hours prior to the issue. Please report the Source, EventID, and exact text of these events.

virtueed
12-05-2011, 11:23 PM
I've updated also the Atheros driver and I never had an unexpected reboot again.

Unfortunately I still have the issue with the VGA. I also tried to set the frequency of the projector to 50Hz but I still got the problem

I tried also to connect via VGA to my SAMSUNG Led full hd television (60Hz) without any issue. So it seems there's something between my projector and the G74.

The only big difference between the tv and the projector is that the VGA cable on the tv is 1,5 meter long, while the VGA cable on the projector is ten times longer (15 meter). But as I told previously in this thread my old laptop connect to the projector via VGA very well and never lose the signal, so maybe the G74 has a output signal with less power than my old laptop.

Thanks anyway for your precious help.