PDA

View Full Version : G771JM CPU throttle

tidididi
06-15-2015, 09:51 AM
Hello!

I own Asus G771JM. I found the problem with CPU throttling.

When I play games everything is okay for few minutes, then the smoothness becomes much lower and FPS goes down from constant number (90) to 60-80 and it keeps jumping. I found that the reason is CPU throttling- when it reaches ~82C, CPU timing goes down from 3500 to even 800.

Furmark = CPU not below 2800
Furmark + Prime95 = CPU down even to 800.

Is it safe (for hardware) to use ThrottleStop application? Will it help? To be honest I would prefer to fix the problem by myself, then send it to service, if my try will not be successfully.

unclewebb
06-15-2015, 04:47 PM
I do not think this is a common problem in the G771 series but throttling down to 800 MHz is a common problem for many previous generation Asus laptops. Asus is not the only manufacturer with throttling issues. It is an industry wide problem.

If I saved up and paid top dollar for a laptop, I would be very disappointed if I found out that it was only running at 800 MHz. That is ridiculous. On some models, a simple bios update can fix this issue so make sure you are using the most up to date bios version. On other models, it might be the sign of a bad sensor on the motherboard and the motherboard might need to be replaced. Sometimes it is just poor design and besides running ThrottleStop, there is nothing else that can be done.

What are your options? If it was a brand new laptop I would consider returning it. If you really like the laptop overall and it has good cooling like many of the Asus ROG laptops have then your next option is to run ThrottleStop so you can better manage this throttling problem.

ThrottleStop is designed to run your Asus G771JM CPU within the Intel specification. Intel never, ever intended their performance CPUs to be throttled down to only 800 MHz. Intel designs their CPUs to deliver maximum performance right up to the thermal throttling temperature which Intel sets to 100C. The throttling you are seeing is usually not triggered by the CPU temperature. There is usually another temperature or power sensor on the motherboard or in the power supply that signals the CPU to start throttling. Using ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT blocks these signals from getting to the CPU so your CPU can continue to run at its full Intel rated speed. No matter how you have ThrottleStop setup, it will not force your laptop to run at full speed if the CPU is over heating. Intel has done a great job of protecting their CPUs at the hardware level. If they get too hot internally, they will throttle and slow down to protect against any damage.

Start doing some Google searches. Add up how many different laptop models from different laptop manufacturers can benefit by using ThrottleStop. This program is used world wide because it is the one and only freely available program that can fix these throttling issues.

Now do another Google search and try to find users of ThrottleStop that have damaged their laptops because they used this program. Considering the huge boost in performance that ThrottleStop can deliver; it is extremely difficult to find users of ThrottleStop that are not 100% happy with their decision.

I will be honest. I am the guy that wrote ThrottleStop. If computers were being damaged because of this program, I would know about it. People would contact me to complain but in the many years of development, that has not happened. No individual or large corporation has threatened to sue me. I kind of think that Asus, Dell, Lenovo, etc. are all happy that users have an option to fix these throttling problems and it doesn't cost these companies one cent. It would have cost them far more if hundreds of thousands of laptops were returned because of throttling.

In my opinion, Furmark + Prime95 is an excessive load for any laptop. I only recommend using ThrottleStop while gaming and only when plugged in.

ThrottleStop 8.00
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0dpSo9k93jDTE1fcHNtbUMwdGc&authuser=0

tidididi
06-15-2015, 05:10 PM
Wow, thank you for rapid answer!

I am using ThrottleStop for now after I came back from work. It is AMAZING, my frames are constant at 90 even in heavy fight. It really makes a job, I really appreciate your work with application and your answer.

Can I ask you a question? Is it possible that I will send you some raports, and if can you say me from the raports what is the problem? I'm monitoring the temperatures all the time, CPU does not raise above 85C (throttle problems started at 83C.

Should I send the laptop to the service center with problem and solution description, or should I still use it with ThrottleStop?

ONCE AGAIN! THANK YOU!

unclewebb
06-15-2015, 05:47 PM
t is AMAZING, my frames are constant at 90 even in heavy fight.

You are welcome. It is always nice to hear from another happy ThrottleStop user. :)

I do not own a G771JM so it is difficult for me to say what the problem is. I do not know if this throttling problem affects 0.1% of these laptops or 1% or 50% or all G771JM laptops. If all of these laptops throttle when heavily loaded then it would be pointless to return your laptop to the service center. They would look at it but there would be no way for them to fix it if all of these laptops have the same throttling problem.

Did you use ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT? When BD PROCHOT is enabled, does this cause throttling? If you get throttling when BD PROCHOT is enabled then that is usually a sign of a bad sensor or bad design.

Here is a review.

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/5255-asus-g771-review/

Under THE BAD, the first thing this review says is, "throttles under heavy load" so this suggests that it might be a common problem for the G771JM series. I do not see a lot of users complaining about this in the ROG forum so I am not sure how common this problem is. Hopefully this thread will encourage other owners to post their results.

When using ThrottleStop, are you now very satisfied with its performance? When running at the full advertised speed, it looks like a great laptop. If I was satisfied then I would just keep it and use it and be happy.

Some buyers want their laptops to run correctly without having to use a program like ThrottleStop. Those people are going to be forced to return their laptop or send it to the service center to see if it can be repaired.

The most recent version of ThrottleStop that I posted allows you to lower the CPU voltage. This can help reduce power consumption and temperatures which can also help avoid throttling.

tidididi
06-15-2015, 06:37 PM
To be honest, I was really glad it works. And it used to work for longer time, but then suddenly the smoothness problem came back.

Can you check my log, please? I share two files, simple .txt and .excel, with wrong (IMO) values notd by red color.

Yes, BD PROCHOT is disabled. I was spaking with ASUS service center today. First- they said me to update the BIOS. But I have the latest BIOS version. Then they said thiw problem is not "standard" for this G771JM serie.

This laptop was on a warranty. The problem was damaged mainboard, it did not choose nvidia as a primary GPU. They changed whole motherboard and cooling system and previous problem got fixed. I had no possibility to see the throttling before, just because every time I joined the server in game I had ultra low FPS.

I think I can not return it and get my money back. Well, but in my opinion the product is just damaged and it does not let me to use it with full dedicated power, I paid 1200 euros...

Can you take a look into my logs, and help me to give some solution, or just to tell me what is wrong? In other way I will send it back to service, but I am 100% sure what they will answer: "Product is ok, it as no inside problems. Application denied." I think I can't retun it and get my money back as well... I really think I am lost...

Files are packed to rar and uploaded to speedyshare, link below.
http://speedy.sh/XwVta/logs.rar

tidididi
06-15-2015, 08:01 PM
Another one:
http://speedy.sh/EQDW4/log2.txt

This problem will be hard to fix, but like I wrote before, I do not believe that ASUS service will do anything with it in my favor...

unclewebb
06-15-2015, 09:02 PM
A service center is never going to admit that a problem like this is a standard feature.

This type of throttling is going to vary depending on the type of game you are playing and the time of year. During the summer, if your house is warmer, this can increase the chance of throttling. The more a game loads the CPU and GPU, the more likely that game will trigger throttling. Even a different GPU driver can start utilizing the GPU more, which creates higher power consumption and more heat and that can trigger throttling. Only the Asus engineers know exactly what triggers this and you will never find this info in a public forum.

When throttling due to BD PROCHOT is a problem, the multiplier drops down to 8.0 and tends to get stuck there for an extended period of time. That is not happening in your log files. You could try running another log file with BD PROCHOT checked to test for this.

Your log files do show some significant throttling though. I am not sure how you had ThrottleStop setup during these logs. Maybe it was only in Monitoring mode.

When you first start gaming, it shows a multiplier up around 34 where it should be. That looks normal. When it drops down for significant periods of time down into the 15 to 20 range, that is throttling. When the CPU starts running slower, it needs less voltage to run reliably. That is why you also see the VID voltage drop at the same time.

Think about it. A 17 multiplier is half of the 34 multiplier so your laptop is literally running at half of its rated speed. You probably would not have bought this laptop if you knew this was going to happen while gaming.

Lots of users have no idea this is even happening. Even if their CPU is only running at half of its rated speed, their laptop is still doing pretty good so they just accept it. For maximum performance, try running ThrottleStop with the Set Multiplier box checked and with that set to the maximum value. Also leave BD PROCHOT unchecked when testing for maximum performance. Post another log file in that situation and you should not be seeing multipliers at 15 to 20 while there is a load on the CPU.

I would disable any Asus power related software and I would use the default Windows - High performance profile in the Power Options with the Minimum and Maximum performance state set to 100%.

tidididi
06-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Do you suggest to reformat WIndows 8 to Windows 7 without any ASUS software?

I will give it one more try tommorow at afternoon. My ThrottleStop during gameplay is set like this:

Can you tell me exactly step by step what should I do to try to eliminate the problem by myself? I mean to set the ThrottleStop correctly.

I am using colling pad 15 inch, I just ordered a new one today, bigger, for 17 inch. Previously (onem onth ago) I was using Lenovo Z500. No problems, except weak GPU (645m). That's why I am a bit frustrated. I really believed it will work with amazing performance, and it should for this money. Anyway Lenovo worked almost the same, if not better with lower GPU.

I really appreciate your time and your help. It means much for me. Thank you for your time and I am sorry for the problem.

unclewebb
06-15-2015, 09:45 PM
I would not reformat and I would not switch Windows 8 to Windows 7. Windows is not the problem.

Thanks for the screenshot. That makes the problem obvious.

Intel sets the thermal throttling temperature of these CPUs to 100C.

http://ark.intel.com/products/78934/Intel-Core-i7-4720HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

In ThrottleStop where it shows PROCHOT 85C, that means that Asus decided to ignore the Intel 100C recommended specification and decided to lower that to only 85C instead. This means your CPU will start to throttle and slow down way sooner than Intel intended it to. The only way to change this is with a modified bios and I can pretty much guarantee you that Asus will never release a bios update with that feature.

On most laptops, you can run the CPU core temperature up close to 100C with no worries about thermal throttling. With your laptop, you have to be worried about thermal throttling during normal operation. A -15C offset is the maximum amount of adjustment that Intel provided manufacturers and your laptop is using every last bit of that. This means that when you try to use your laptop and run any sort of demanding task, it will reach this throttling point and run slower and slower. Not good. Throttling happens so rapidly that many users are not aware that they are not getting the performance they paid for. As games or applications become more demanding, you can count on more and more throttling.

Since a modified bios does not exist, your only other option is to lower your CPU temperature. You can try replacing the thermal paste on your CPU with the best paste you can find but this might not help significantly and doing this will probably void your warranty. 85C is just way too low of a maximum temperature for an Intel CPU.

You can clear the check mark in the ThrottleStop PROCHOT box. As soon as that check mark reappears in ThrottleStop, it confirms that your CPU reached the thermal throttling temperature set by Asus and performance was reduced.

tidididi
06-15-2015, 09:58 PM
So as I said before- if ASUS will not help me, am I lost? I will not leave it like this. I did not get exactly the same product which was presented. It is far away from it, and the screenshots and logs are the proofs.

unclewebb
06-16-2015, 01:23 AM
I agree that the level of CPU performance you paid for is not being delivered. Either the CPU heatsink and fan are completely inadequate or they were not installed correctly. The 4720HQ is a 47 Watt CPU. Your log file shows that the cooling is struggling to keep this CPU from thermal throttling even when the power level is at half the rated TDP power level. For comparison, my Lenovo Y510P with a 4700MQ can run at a load of 100% and maintain the full overclocked 34 multiplier indefinitely as long as it stays at or below the 47 Watt level.

If it was my laptop, I would probably pull it apart to see how much thermal paste they used and how they applied it. You need to find a huge amount of additional cooling capacity. Over the years users have come up with many tricks to increase the pressure between the heatsink and the CPU to help improve cooling. Some laptops are supported by HWiNFO so you might be able to increase the CPU fan speed.

A user with a new laptop should not have to become an engineer just to use their laptop at its rated speed but in this case, your options are very limited. This is a defect that was deliberately built into this laptop model at the hardware level. It is going to be an uphill battle to convince someone at Asus that there is something fundamentally wrong here.

Boxis
06-16-2015, 04:55 AM
Try to reduce the amount of multipliers when 3 and 4 cores are active to 31x or 30x in intel XTU program to see if you still reach the throttling temperature. (something like 32x/31x/30x/30x 32x Cache).

tidididi
06-16-2015, 12:32 PM
Yes, it might be solution. But I still think this laptop must work on the highest settings.

It is going on warranty service once again tommorow. The laptop does not fulfill its function. It is not a toy for 300 euro, but 4 times more expensive monster machine.

Anyway Boxis I will give it a try.

OCFreak
06-16-2015, 06:04 PM
Asus limits the CPU to around 82-84C in bios on G771. Doubt they can do anothing about that at service centre, they will probably repaste CPU/GPU to try to lower temps. But I'm doubtful if it will help.

Funny thing is that the little brother G551 is much better, with latest bios the CPU is allowed to run up to intel spec. So far during gaming it has never throttled. Sure if I load furmark + prime95 the speed will drop slightly to around 3GHz. Still very good.

tidididi
06-16-2015, 06:18 PM
Yes, for you it drops to 3.00. For me it drops to 1.20, when the min is 2.60. So cool :-P

Theoretically, so far as the CPU temp tolerance is even 100, they should raise the throttle point in BIOS. It will let me us the laptop with 100% CPU performance, and I am sure it will not even reach 95C.

Nemix
06-17-2015, 03:01 AM
This problem with the G771 needs to elevated directly to ASUS engineers so that they can release a new BIOS that removes CPU throttle @ 85 degrees celcius and raise it to 95 degrees celcius like all other laptop manufacture on the market.

I am about to buy this laptop simply because it's a great package and deal for the components it comes with but the BIOS throttle limitations on this laptop is what's holding me back.

unclewebb
06-17-2015, 03:57 AM
Just for comparison, the Lenovo Y50 uses an almost identical Core i7-4710HQ and Lenovo decided to leave the thermal throttling temperature at the Intel specified value of 100C.

http://i.imgur.com/tMkSQfi.png

There is no reason that Asus cannot do the exact same thing. Change one value in the bios, release a new bios and you are done. Thermal throttling at 85C is killing performance.

Nemix
06-17-2015, 04:20 AM
I have submitted a complaint to ASUS with links to both professionally online reviewers of the G771JM pointing out CPU throttling issues with this model and also links to both threads on ROG Forum where users of this model has reported the CPU throttling issues just to be ignored by ASUS.

Hopefully my voice gets heard by ASUS and they send the matter to ASUS Engineers to fix the issue with a BIOS update, I can also elevate and report this matter to the Better Business Bureau of Canada for false advertising (because clearly it is since the CPU is not running as 2.5GHz as advertized when gaming on this ROG laptop) and see if ASUS ever sells a laptop in Canada again but I'm not going to take it that far since I do not own the laptop.

Thanks unclewebb for your posts, hopefully ASUS Engineers take this matter serious and look at the screenshots of ThrottleStop on this thread and get a clue to fix the problem as soon as possible for owners of this laptop model.

tidididi
06-17-2015, 06:25 AM
Thank you Gentlemans for your support and great words. I appreciate your rapid help and all of advices and ideas how to fix the problem.

The package for Asus service center is ready. I left an letter inside what I expect from them (raise the throttle point up to 100C), and if the fix is not possible I am going to back the laptop just because of manufacture issue.

I will inform you as soon as I get any informations. Keep your fingers crossed, I am CUSTOMER and fighter :-)

Nemix
06-17-2015, 07:32 PM
It's also worth mentioning that Asus really skimped on the AC power adapter for this G771JM model, competing 17.3" laptops like Lenovo's Y70 and Acer's 791G both of which have basically the exact same specs and are thin mid-range gaming laptops come with a 135W AC adapter as standard but Asus's G771 has only a 120W AC adapter; which leads me to think that Asus maybe fully ware of the problem but throttling the CPU on purpose just to stay within the power limits of the lower powered AC adapter included with this model.

Sitram
06-19-2015, 11:47 AM
I am also an owner of G771JM model and this thread helped me clarify a lot of things I read on some bogus forums about thermal throttling.

I save the zip from ThrottleStop 8.0 on my google drive and will check how it looks on my laptop once I get back home from work.

tidididi
06-19-2015, 12:13 PM
I wish you good luck, but I think your problem is the same as mine. Please wait till I get an answer from ASUS, you will know what to do then.

Sitram
06-19-2015, 02:54 PM
I can confirm I have the same problem. 49909

Nemix
06-19-2015, 07:34 PM
Just got a message back from Asus after I submitted the complaint:

Dear xxxx,

We greatly appreciate your loyalty and we do apologize for the inconveniences. Your suggestion was escalated to the Product manager at Asus HQ for revision and resolution.

If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to let us know. We will be more than happy to assist you. You can call our hotline 1 888 678 3688 or just create a service case on line: http://www.service.asus.com/#!create-case/c55r

For the information about the warranty please visit: http://www.service.asus.com/#!warranty/c22lj

Thank you for choosing ASUS products and services.

Regards,

So apparently they are going to forward my message to Asus HQ in Canada, hopefully there's someone smart enough at Asus HQ (in Canada) that understands the severity of the complaint message in order to fully translate it and forward it to Asus HQ engineers in Taiwain so that a new BIOS is in the works removing the CPU throttle limitations from the BIOS (setting to Intel's CPU throttle specs, 100 degrees celcius).

Sitram
06-20-2015, 05:52 AM
Let's hope you get an answer from Product manager at Asus HQ soon!

In the meantime, does anyone know of a moded BIOS for the G771JM that unlocks some additional features, among which this PROCHOT thingy?
I searched for the past two days on google for one and had no luck finding anything.

Nemix
06-20-2015, 06:09 AM
No BIOS mods for the G771 series ATM, anyhow if there is one it'll probably come in few months since that's when the first year warranty goes away for early adopters of this model.

tidididi
06-20-2015, 08:42 AM
In the service center they must have access to hidden settings in BIOS, I believe.

Sitram
06-21-2015, 03:24 PM
No BIOS mods for the G771 series ATM, anyhow if there is one it'll probably come in few months since that's when the first year warranty goes away for early adopters of this model.

Where are usually such BIOS mods posted? Is there a website dedicate to this? Is it allowed here on the forum to post links to download BIOS mods?

Nemix
06-21-2015, 09:46 PM
www.bios-mods.com (Forum)

Just as a warning, if you flash your the BIOS of your laptop with a unofficial modded BIOS you will void your warranty.

Request for specific laptop model modded BIOS's can be made in the Forum of bios-mods.com if you register.

tidididi
06-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Laptop is coming back to me from warranty service.

Message from ASUS: "Notebook is free from the defects. Problems noted by you were caused by software which is not under the warranty. System got restored to stock settings or updated".

Well. I do not think they updated BIOS, because BIOS is under warranty. All what they did is probably just OS restore. I do not believe it will fix the problem... What do you think about it, guys?

I will inform you tommorow after tests.

Sitram
06-26-2015, 06:53 PM
It would have been interesting to tell you which software was causing the problems.

The BIOS will not be updated, that's for sure!

Let us know what they did!

tidididi
06-26-2015, 07:31 PM
I still did not get it back. It will arrive in monday.

I am 100% sure they said "software" about applications installed on hard drive- I mean CPU-Z, GPU-Z and similiar, which I used to watch the clocks and temperatures. But I still believe they said about OS reinstall and they switched this value in BIOS, I believe they did not want to admit to error about this throttling point... But it is only my wish.

Anyway, if the problem is not fixed, I am going to way of law. I will want to cancel my installments and I will give them this "laptop" back.

tidididi
06-29-2015, 05:27 PM
Hello, Brothers!

Here we go. Laptop came back from the warranty service. The problem is not solved.

ASUS has sent a message to me that the throttling problem is caused by software which is not contained by warranty terms. For sure they meant CPU-Z, GPU-Z, Prime95, Primark, and Intel application which was used to check the clocks and temperatures. How cool, isn't it? Hold me, guys.

With laptop I have sent to them an detailed letter: 1) what is the problem, 2) what causes the problem, 3) what do I expect (how to fix the problem). I bet heavy money they did not even take it as advice from my side. Customer must be stupid in their eyes, without any knowledge. Buy the product and be happy, even if the product value is >1000 euro but in real it is worth <500 euro (because of problems).

There is a result of my todays tests. Excel file with logs from Throttlestop:

http://speedy.sh/Y6Nnj/throttle.xls

Okay. I gave them a chance. But it looks like this chance was easily wasted by them. To be honest- my heart says to give them one more chance, but my head says to fight. And I am not a casual customer without a simple knowledge. I have a knowledge and they will not buy me with words about software. Black on white- clocks drops because of the temperature, and the throttle point is set to 85C.

I am going to find a contact with some ASUS manager tommorow, not with a random service center or help desk worker. It is not their fault because they work under some rules of course and they are not able o make a free decisions.

I will inform you as soon as I get a new informations. If I do not receive a help again, next step will be more radical. I have a knowledge and tools to go this way. This laptop is not a cheap toy for little kids.

PROCHOT is still at 85C.

OCFreak
06-29-2015, 06:27 PM
KILL THEM! (not really).

I don't think they will update the bios to fix the issue - unfortunately. Past history with asus is that bios is rarely updated, and such issues are rarely fixed. Same with lenovo really. Their Lenovo Y50, has CPU turbo boost turned off (or off over 65C, which basically means off in any program) since day 1 and it's still the same today, even after several bioses and hardware changes (CPU yo 4720HQ and GPU to GTX960M).

tidididi
06-29-2015, 06:51 PM
KILL THEM! (not really).

I don't think they will update the bios to fix the issue - unfortunately. Past history with asus is that bios is rarely updated, and such issues are rarely fixed. Same with lenovo really. Their Lenovo Y50, has CPU turbo boost turned off (or off over 65C, which basically means off in any program) since day 1 and it's still the same today, even after several bioses and hardware changes (CPU yo 4720HQ and GPU to GTX960M).

Nothing aggressive. Maybe a little bit pathetic but really, I paid much money and I met a problem. Ok, it happens. But I said to them what is the problem and what to do with it. I do not belive they have no access to hidden BIOS settings in the service in Poland... And problem is done. ASUS is happy because customer is not angry.

unclewebb
06-29-2015, 07:06 PM
Here we go. Laptop came back from the warranty service. The problem is not solved.

Thanks for the update. I have to admit that I am not surprised. I guess their solution is for consumers to remove all of their monitoring tools so they don't notice that their CPU is running too hot, throttling and slowing down to less than its Intel rated speed.

If your laptop does not live up to its specs and the service center does not have a solution then you are forced to return it. Perhaps the new MSI GS60 Ghost which uses a 5th Generation 5700HQ processor might be a good replacement.

http://usgaming.msi.com/Product/2014/Notebook/GS60-Ghost/

tidididi
06-29-2015, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the update. I have to admit that I am not surprised. I guess their solution is for consumers to remove all of their monitoring tools so they don't notice that their CPU is running too hot, throttling and slowing down to less than its Intel rated speed.

If your laptop does not live up to its specs and the service center does not have a solution then you are forced to return it. Perhaps the new MSI GS60 Ghost which uses a 5th Generation 5700HQ processor might be a good replacement.

http://usgaming.msi.com/Product/2014/Notebook/GS60-Ghost/

I will try to ask them for help once again. Then the next step will be use of law.

MSI was my first choice. But I took ASUS on installments with 0%, and it was only one choice- installements + super performance (theoretically).

Nemix
06-30-2015, 10:23 PM
This might be solution if it's possible, go to https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/ and request a modded BIOS to enable the PROCHOT settings in the BIOS and ask for thermal fan control setting and advanced menus unlocked while you're at it.

If BDMaster can do it then donate for his work, it'll be worth it if he can unlock the BIOS and enable the PROCHOT settings in the BIOS then you'll have not more throttle.

tidididi
07-01-2015, 03:25 AM
No more throttle and no more warranty. Thanks!

But seriously, thank you for your idea. It is good, but it is not worth to take a risk. It should work without unofficial BIOS.

Nemix
07-01-2015, 03:19 PM
I respect that, as a temporary solution ThrottleStop works on your laptop to disable PROCHOT and can be set to start up automatically correct?

tidididi
07-01-2015, 03:24 PM
I am able to untick PROCHOT option, but it switches on automatically when CPU reach 85C.

unclewebb
07-01-2015, 04:15 PM
You cannot use ThrottleStop to change the 85C thermal throttling temperature that Asus is using for this laptop. That value is locked into the bios and can only be changed with an updated bios.

The PROCHOT box on the right hand side of ThrottleStop is only an information box. When this box is checked, it confirms that your CPU has reached the thermal throttling temperature. That box will remain checked until you manually clear it. After you have finished playing a game, you can have a look at this box and see if there was any thermal throttling while you were playing. If this box is checked and you click on this box, it will clear this information but as soon as this laptop reaches 85C, that box will be checked again to confirm that your CPU has been throttling. This information is actually stored within the CPU so it is not just ThrottleStop making up this information. The CPU itself has recorded that it has been thermal throttling.

The Intel documentation shows that 100C is the maximum safe operating temperature for this CPU.

http://ark.intel.com/products/78934/Intel-Core-i7-4720HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

Asus decided to ignore that advice. They are using a -15C offset to this value so thermal throttling begins at 85C instead of 100C. There is nothing a user can do about that without using a modified bios which will void the warranty.

Nemix
07-02-2015, 02:46 AM
Just some info I digged up on my own the G771's PROCHOT BIOS limitation may have came from the N751's BIOS since both laptop use the same BIOS with only different VBIOS (video BIOS) which is tied to the main BIOS.

The G771 and N751 are practically the same laptop only with different videocards, color scheme looks (but the use the same chassis) and sub woofer port missing on the G771 even the PROCHOT limitation in the BIOS is the same since they use the same motherboard.

Source reviews:

http://laptopmedia.com/review/asus-n751jk-review-bulky-yet-powerful-and-eye-pleasing-17-inch-laptop/

http://laptopmedia.com/review/asus-rog-g771-review-n751s-more-powerful-gaming-sibling/

They are pretty much identical laptops marketed towards different consumers groups, one is for multimedia use with slightly slower GPU and the other is supposedly for gamers with slightly faster GPU even though the PROCHOT limitation in the BIOS remains the same.

Sitram
07-25-2015, 08:51 AM
I have place a request to unlock the BIOS for G771JM model on the www.bios-mods.com here (https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Request-ASUS-ROG) almost 2 weeks ago. So far there is no reply to my thread. I suspect that there is little activity these days on that forum.

Since I have a background into low level software development, I tried to search a bit for a starting point into AMI BIOS unlocking. So far I couldn't find anything reliable. If anyone with more experience into this topic can point me into the right direction, I might try this on my own and see how far I can get.

tidididi
08-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Hello everybody.

I am back here after long time. Finally my problem is gone. Seller accepted my deal cancel application because of discrepancy between the item and its description.

After the last time I was here I decided to contact with the seller and use my warranty rights. Seller sent laptop to ASUS, and ASUS answered that laptop has no fault. Then I decided to contact with seller and, what I mentioned above, my application was accepted.

Thank you for your time guys. Thank you for your help. I wish all the best for every ASUS ROG customers who met the same problem. Unfortunately my case shown that the problem is not going to be solved in normal way (BIOS update). The only one way to avoid the problem is the same way which I decided to go.

cruxan
10-28-2015, 05:06 PM
I have learnt alot from this. One of the things is that im sitting on a RoG that is outperformed by my sons older RoG :P Im so dissapointed. I cant return it, think they will point out dents and screws missing :P But still, ARMA3 is almost unplayable, the only game I play for the moment.

NeroRaw
12-29-2015, 05:31 PM
I have this weird problem. When I run a game, the FPS is high as can be, but I'm experiencing stuttering. After a while, It stops and I am able to play
without problems. What can be causing this? It is very annoying having that initial stutter/lag when playing for a short amount of time.

Another (stupid) question: how do I use throttlestop? Do i just run it and press "Turn On" or should I do something else? And what do I do after
it starts running and I have played for a while?

Sitram
05-03-2017, 12:30 PM
Anyone found a workaround for this?

Zsoltiy
01-05-2018, 12:15 PM
Anyone found a workaround for this?

Hi. I managed to get stable core frequencies in gaming by disabling Turbo Boost in the "ThrottleStop" utility, temperatures don't reach 85C now and I get 2.5Ghz stable in gaming. I think that is all we can do now, unless Asus gives us an updated BIOS. Before this, with factory settings and turbo boost enabled, the CPU was throttling down to even 800mhz and reaching temps of 87C.

Oh and I also have a cooling pad right under the processor, I don't know if it helps or not, but it keeps the case cold.

Zsoltiy
01-21-2018, 12:31 PM
Hi guys. I have a modified bios with PROCHOT set to 95C. If I disable turbo boost and bring the clock down to 2.6Ghz the thermal throttling never kicks in, temperatures stay around 85C and the frequency is a stable 1.9 - 2.2ghz, it never drops down to 800 like before during gaming. If you need help with this issue PM me.