PDA

View Full Version : G-73 Sw Monitor not starting up; blank display!

Devilonearth666
11-27-2011, 08:38 AM
My laptop monitor just would not start up today. I have tried to start it quite a few times today. I stayed up till 2 today to do a project and when I woke up, everything except the monitor would start up. There would be nothing on display, it would just be blank. Mine is a G-73 Sw. I am pretty frustrated as it has been less than six months since I bought it and I feel like it is a waste. It did not come cheap with a $1300 price tag, especially considering I am still a student. I am really bummed. Can anyone help me out here?

I really hope it is not the GPU..... and I hope that the monitor issue is easily fixable. Could it be faulty LCD? I hope it is nothing too bad.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

JRd1st
11-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Could be the GPU, the cable going to the display, the display, or a driver gone bad. Do you have an external monitor or tv with hdmi you could try?

BrodyBoy
11-27-2011, 09:04 AM
My laptop monitor just would not start up today. I have tried to start it quite a few times today. I stayed up till 2 today to do a project and when I woke up, everything except the monitor would start up. There would be nothing on display, it would just be blank. Mine is a G-73 Sw. I am pretty frustrated as it has been less than six months since I bought it and I feel like it is a waste. It did not come cheap with a $1300 price tag, especially considering I am still a student. I am really bummed. Can anyone help me out here?

I really hope it is not the GPU..... and I hope that the monitor issue is easily fixable. Could it be faulty LCD? I hope it is nothing too bad.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
When you first power it up, do you see the Asus logo? Can you press F2 and access the BIOS? If there's no display even before you boot Windows, that would suggest a hardware failure of the sort JR described. If you can get it to display anything...the BIOS, or perhaps try a bootable disc.....then Windows might be the problem.

Devilonearth666
11-27-2011, 11:07 AM
No, I do not see the asus logo, or anything for that matter. The problem started just 10 hours after my last session with it, i closed it at 2, it was all good, no sign of trouble and when i tried to power it up at 12 at noon, it would not display anything? So, what is the best fix in this situation? I doubt it is the GPU, I've never had any problems with it. The LCD display also worked smooth, though there were quite a few visible dead pixels.

and no, I do not have an external monitor with HDMI

JRd1st
11-27-2011, 12:13 PM
How about an external monitor with VGA?

Do you feel like it's booting but with no display? Or that it shuts down? Or that it's stuck in a bad bootup?

Cjbbruns1
11-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Multiple people on this forum seem to be having this problem, myself included. You will probably have to rma.

Search "black screen" or "blank display", weird thing is that they are all different g notebooks.

BrodyBoy
11-27-2011, 07:18 PM
No, I do not see the asus logo, or anything for that matter. The problem started just 10 hours after my last session with it, i closed it at 2, it was all good, no sign of trouble and when i tried to power it up at 12 at noon, it would not display anything? So, what is the best fix in this situation? I doubt it is the GPU, I've never had any problems with it. The LCD display also worked smooth, though there were quite a few visible dead pixels.

and no, I do not have an external monitor with HDMI
Unfortunately, there's not much you can try without a working display. As JR mentiioned, I would make every effort to determine whether you can get any video on an external monitor. That would be very helpful diagnostically, as it suggests whether the GPU itself is simply not functioning, or whether it's a problem with the built-in monitor and/or it connections.

You could try opening it up to check the connections between the M/B and the display panel, but that's a shot in the dark (so to speak). You may just have to RMA it.