PDA

View Full Version : G73sw CD/DVDrw issues

RAGUS
11-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Well, I have scoured the internet for answers, and have found nothing on this. I have gotten to the point of registering on a forum. Effectively crying out to the internet for help...

But, since I have just purchased this notebook (and actually like it a whole lot) I suppose registering on this forum is appropriate.

To be brief:
As far as I can tell, I need to reinstall the driver for my CD/DVD drive, but I cannot find it for the life of me. I have the drivers CD, but as it is my CD drive that is not working, I can't very well use that.

ANYway, on to details of the issue.

In the process of installing some software (mostly older stuff, nothing too strenuous) my CD/DVD drive has become unresponsive. It will spin up when a CD is inserted, but nothing ever happens, and the drive does not display in My Computer.
In Device Manager the icon for it has a small warning sign over it. When I open the devices properties the Status says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)". When I go to the Volumes tab, it is not (and will not) populate. I have uninstalled the drivers and done the automatic search for new ones, but it just comes back with what seem to be the same thing.

I do not have any recovery points set, but I have yet to install anything important, and everything that I have is legitimate, so I could easily do a clean install (if I had access to another OS).
Is this a weird issue? Or do I just need to track down the specific driver (and if so, where is that driver)?

BrodyBoy
11-27-2011, 09:49 AM
There usually aren't third-party drivers for the optical drives. They are just standard DVD/CD-ROM devices that use the generic Windows driver.

And you don't "reinstall Windows drivers" per se....Windows does it internally (all the necessary files are already in there). Have you tried running the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooting wizard? That's what it's for....it detects the errant or missing registry entries and repairs them.

(Another basic step is to uninstall the device in Device Manager. Then restart Windows and let Windows detect it and do the reinstall automatically. To clarify, I don't mean to uninstall the driver, but the device itself. Right-click on its listing and select "Uninstall.")

RAGUS
11-27-2011, 10:51 AM
So this is one of those things that's just supposed to work, eh? Well, that figures, haha.
For some reason I tend to have issues with things that no one else has issues with...

Thank you for entertaining this issue for me. I am generally fairly good with these sorts of things, but time to time I run into some random problem that I just can't quite get past on my own, so thanks to you or anyone else that might provide that key insight I need (as simple an insight as it may seem).

The troubleshooting wizard finds the issue and prompts me with "There is a problem with the CD-ROM drive. Reinstalling the driver might fix this problem".
When I hit "Apply This Fix" it says it was unable to fix the problem. It has a tab for "more details", but that title is misleading as there isn't really any information...

Upon uninstalling the device and rebooting, it does indeed locate the drive, but it comes up with "Device driver software was not successfully installed. Please consult with your device manufacturer for assistance getting this device installed"

I would find it tough to believe that I have to call Asus in order to get a CD-ROM installed...

JRd1st
11-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Look at this guide and remove the ODD. http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/475907-asus-g73-series-disassembly-guide.html
Reseat the connection a few times to clean the contacts.

If this helps then "Yay!" Otherwise your drive is probably bad. Think of this as an excuse to get a bluray burner to replace it .. :D

RAGUS
11-27-2011, 01:10 PM
I had considered getting a new drive, but it seemed unlikely (or at least upsetting) to me that it would have suddenly failed. I have already taken it out and re-seated it a few times. Also, like I said, it still spins up and seems to respond at least a little.

Of course, none of that eliminates the possibility that the drive itself is bad, but seeing as I can deal with an issue like that easily enough, I thought i'd reach out to see if there were any chance it was a software issue first.

JRd1st
11-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Did you change regions or try to use ripping software?

RAGUS
11-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Did you change regions or try to use ripping software?

I don't know what either of those things mean, so no, haha. How do I do that? And what do you mean by "ripping software"?

JRd1st
11-27-2011, 02:03 PM
There are programs that bypass DRM and allow copying of copy protected software.

"Regions" - the world is sectioned into different regions. your DVD player can only play DVD's from your region. The USA is region 1. You CAN change your DVD player's region to play stuff from another region, but only 5 times (i believe) then it gets "stuck" at the 5th change.

JRd1st
11-27-2011, 03:43 PM
I don't know what either of those things mean, so no, haha. How do I do that? And what do you mean by "ripping software"?

What were you doing when it stopped working?

fostert
11-27-2011, 04:14 PM
So this is one of those things that's just supposed to work, eh? Well, that figures, haha.
For some reason I tend to have issues with things that no one else has issues with...

Thank you for entertaining this issue for me. I am generally fairly good with these sorts of things, but time to time I run into some random problem that I just can't quite get past on my own, so thanks to you or anyone else that might provide that key insight I need (as simple an insight as it may seem).

The troubleshooting wizard finds the issue and prompts me with "There is a problem with the CD-ROM drive. Reinstalling the driver might fix this problem".
When I hit "Apply This Fix" it says it was unable to fix the problem. It has a tab for "more details", but that title is misleading as there isn't really any information...

Upon uninstalling the device and rebooting, it does indeed locate the drive, but it comes up with "Device driver software was not successfully installed. Please consult with your device manufacturer for assistance getting this device installed"

I am wondering if the ODD is detected correctly in the BIOS? And if so are there any parameters to do with the ODD that can be changed there? I know that my G74 one can change some properties of the HDDS and ODDs too by unselecting "auto" in the device detection CMOS screen, but its been a while since I looked at that.

Anyhow, try exploring the BIOS a little bit...its my understanding the G73's BIOS is more feature-rich than the G74s.

RAGUS
11-28-2011, 12:14 AM
The BIOS is what you get to when you press delete during startup, right?

I know how to change boot device order there, but everything else there is kinda greek to me. And when I went to it on mine, it looked like it didn't have too many functions, but that may just be my ignorance on the subject.

I will poke around in there a bit (without changing anything before i've got it figured out a bit) and see if I can get anything done.

BrodyBoy
11-28-2011, 12:18 AM
In Asus machines, it's usually F2 immediately after powering up.

fostert
11-28-2011, 12:22 AM

I know how to change boot device order there, but everything else there is kinda greek to me. And when I went to it on mine, it looked like it didn't have too many functions, but that may just be my ignorance on the subject.

I will poke around in there a bit (without changing anything before i've got it figured out a bit) and see if I can get anything done.

Press F2 a few times when its displaying its splash screen at bootup.

BrodyBoy
11-28-2011, 12:26 AM
One other suggestion: If Windows itself has some corrupted files, you could try running system recovery. I don't know if these drivers are part of what it checks, but it's worth a try.

Dnepr
11-28-2011, 12:43 AM
See, here is another person having issues with a cd/dvd/BluRay drive. Even though not the same is my issue, it is still in the same area.

BrodyBoy
11-28-2011, 12:46 AM
See, here is another person having issues with a cd/dvd/BluRay drive. Even though not the same is my issue, it is still in the same area.
It's actually a completely different problem. Your drive works, as I recall.....your particular problem is with burning discs, correct? I still think that sounds more like a software issue.

dstrakele
11-28-2011, 12:58 AM
But, since I have just purchased this notebook (and actually like it a whole lot) I suppose registering on this forum is appropriate.

If you have just purchased the notebook, I recommend contacting the retailer and see if they will exchange it for a new unit. The quick fix of uninstalling the device and rebooting failed. Let ASUS worry about troubleshooting the ODD issue.

RAGUS
11-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Well I already had to RMA this thing once for unrelated issues, so I really don't want to have to send it off again.

I have found though, through other resources, that it may indeed have been some of the software I was installing. By Roxio, to be specific.
Problem is, this software did not install fully, so the uninstall programs do not exist on the computer, and the program does not come up in the Add/Remove list. I have no system-restore points on the computer (yeah I know thats bad... it's been several years since i've moved into a new computer, I forgot to set that up before I started installing things) and the backup DVDs I burned are obviously useless, as it is my DVD ROM drive that isn't working.

I see that there are several links to Windows 7 Install CDs for download. Is that something I can use? Is there a particular one to use?

BrodyBoy
11-29-2011, 08:04 PM
I see that there are several links to Windows 7 Install CDs for download. Is that something I can use? Is there a particular one to use?
Yes. If you are currently running Windows Home Premium, download that ISO file and use it to burn an installer DVD. If you reinstall WIndows this way, you're starting from scratch with a completely clean, barebones operating system. You then need to install the essential drivers.

With that, you've got a good foundation for a stable system, and you can start adding your own programs. If you're careful to avoid Asus crapware and other bad, cheap, poorly-written software, you'll have a much more reliable setup than you can ever get using the Asus installation.

JRd1st
11-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Be surd to download the ISO with SP1 integrated into it. This'll save you a big download and a lot of time.

RAGUS
11-30-2011, 01:49 AM
use it to burn an installer DVD.

But its my DVD drive that isn't functioning...
I cannot burn or read any disks at all. Is this iso file something I can put onto a flash drive and install that way?

dstrakele
11-30-2011, 01:52 AM
Have you tried disabling the DVD drive device in Device Manager and then rebooting to allow Windows 7 to install the Microsoft PnP driver?

RAGUS
11-30-2011, 02:13 AM
Yes I have.

Basically I have come to the point where I need to do a clean install, but the only procedures I can find on that involve burning a boot DVD, when a DVD is quite useless to me, as my DVD drive isn't working...

BrodyBoy
11-30-2011, 02:27 AM
Yes I have.

Basically I have come to the point where I need to do a clean install, but the only procedures I can find on that involve burning a boot DVD, when a DVD is quite useless to me, as my DVD drive isn't working...

Give THIS (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2432-usb-windows-7-installation-key-drive-create.html?filter[3]=Installation%20and%20Setup)a look.

RAGUS
11-30-2011, 03:34 AM
Give THIS (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2432-usb-windows-7-installation-key-drive-create.html?filter[3]=Installation%20and%20Setup)a look.

That seems to be what i'm looking for, though I gotta admit it does seem a bit more complicated than I anticipated. Nothing I can't handle, just surprising.

Now if I can just find my dang 8gb flash drive...

Thanks to all. If this doesn't do the trick you can be sure I will be back pleading for guidance again, haha.

BrodyBoy
11-30-2011, 04:11 AM
Actually, when you said it seemed complicated, I went back to take a closer look. Scrolling down, it turns out that method appears to STILL rely on using the Windows Installer DVD to create the USB installer. So that won't work for you, right? What you need is a way to create the USB installer directly from the ISO. I think that can be done.....but without personal experience doing it, I'm going to have to leave it to you to research and confirm.

dstrakele
11-30-2011, 04:43 AM
If you uninstalled the DVD drive in Device Manager and rebooted with DVD drive still unresponsive, I suspect the Windows 7 driver file(s) are missing or corrupt.

Can you still see the filename(s) of the driver for the DVD drive in Device Manager (in the "Driver" tab of your DVD drive Properties, click on the "Driver Details" button. If this is corrupt, perhaps you could supply your laptop model and someone with the same system could supply the filenames. You may then be able to download them and replace your corrupted files.

Another option is to backup your system to another partition and perform an ASUS Factory Restore from the hidden partition on your system (if it still exists) by spamming the F9 key at the ASUS Splash Screen and then make the necessary choices to restore the OS partition. This does not require the DVD drive.

RAGUS
11-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Yeah, if someone could tell me if the driver I have is simply continually coming up incorrect, that would be awesome.

This is the specific file location and driver name for the driver listed under the "Driver Details" dialog.
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

My model number is:
G73sw-XN2

dstrakele
11-30-2011, 02:50 PM
What DVD device is listed in Device Manager for your G73sw-XN2?

RAGUS
11-30-2011, 04:00 PM
MAT****A DVD-RAM UJ8A0ASW

BrodyBoy
11-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Yeah, if someone could tell me if the driver I have is simply continually coming up incorrect, that would be awesome.

This is the specific file location and driver name for the driver listed under the "Driver Details" dialog.
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

My model number is:
G73sw-XN2
That's the right driver....it's just the generic Windows driver that most setups use. (Few internal ODDs requires a third-party driver.)

RAGUS: After my last post, my curiosity got the best of me and I had to answer my own question. ;) You can definitely make a USB Windows Installer....I made one last night. Let me know if you are still pursuing that route and need any guidance.

dstrakele
11-30-2011, 08:06 PM
As a comparison, my Slimtype BD E DS4E1S lists 2 driver files:

1) C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys from Microsoft (version 6.1.1700.16385 (win7_rtm090713-1256))

2) C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\PxHlpa64.sys from Sonic Solutions (version 3.00.93.0)

BrodyBoy
11-30-2011, 08:13 PM
The cdrom.sys file is the basic hardware driver. The other one appears to be a third-party driver added by a Sonic program, either for redundancy or for actions specific to that program.

dstrakele
11-30-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm thinking it was added by that buggy Roxio CinePlayer app.

Here's another solution for a problem ODD on Windows 7: http://www.pchell.com/hardware/cd_drive_error_code_39.shtml

BrodyBoy
11-30-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm thinking it was added by that buggy Roxio CinePlayer app.
Could be. Isn't there also some Sonic/Roxio CD/DVD burning utility? Could be for that as well.

dstrakele
11-30-2011, 09:27 PM
The Sonic DVD download on the ASUS site IS Roxio CinePlayer.

380mcn
11-30-2011, 09:39 PM
CD BURNER XP full speed ahead!

Seatownstudent
01-10-2012, 11:09 AM
I have the same problem. I was able to fix it using microsoft fix it. http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/
Download it there.
After install fix it, run it and:
1. select Windows
2. select Play games,music or sounds, pictures or video
3. select Fix problems with CD or DVD drives that can't read or write media.
4. click RunNnow
Follow the repair process and your DVD drive will be fixed.
Hope this help....