PDA

View Full Version : G74Sx Overclocking button help

k2roo
11-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Hi all, i am new to the ROG scene and i need a little help without sounding like a noob. I just purchased a G74Sx and i am more than happy, however, i didnt get a manual or anything to tell me how to use the O/C button next to the power on/off button. I have pressed the button a few times and nothing happens, no light comes on and nothing changes on my CPU gadget monitor. How do i use this? I am pretty sure i have updated the laptop's drivers but maybe i am missing something. Are there drivers or a program needed to use this feature/button? And how do i use it?
Also another really annoying thing is that when i type, i frequently rest my palm on the mouse pad and it stuffs my text up (quite frustrating), can this pad be turned on and off?

fostert
11-28-2011, 12:20 AM
That button is not an OC button at all: it is linked to cycle through the power4gear profiles, which are various power saving modes (performance, quiet, entertainment, battery-save). It does nothing else, and I think if you don't have ATK and power4gear installed on your notebook, it does nothing period.

Yes, i get the hand-touching-the-touchpad problem messing up my typing all the time. You can turn the touchpad off in the BIOS on bootup, or if you use Windows, the ASUS key bindings in ATK allow you to turn it on/off with fn+F9. Since I use linux I can only turn the darn thing off via BIOS upon bootup. Annoying.

BrodyBoy
11-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Also another really annoying thing is that when i type, i frequently rest my palm on the mouse pad and it stuffs my text up (quite frustrating), can this pad be turned on and off?
Rather than completely disabling the touchpad, you can also just disable it while typing and increase its reactivation time.

dstrakele
11-28-2011, 12:39 AM
That button is not an OC button at all: it is linked to cycle through the power4gear profiles, which are various power saving modes (performance, quiet, entertainment, battery-save). It does nothing else, and I think if you don't have ATK and power4gear installed on your notebook, it does nothing period.

Switching power modes as described above occurs if your laptop is running. If the machine is powered off and you press the ROG button, the machine will boot into Express Gate, an abbreviated OS that is an extension of the BIOS. It's purpose is to provide a quick boot for limited functionality such as Web Browsing, playing music, working with photos, etc. Details are discussed in a separate hardcopy manual that is included with your G74SX.

k2roo
11-28-2011, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the replies! Cheers

k2roo
11-28-2011, 09:55 AM
You can turn the touchpad off in the BIOS on bootup, or if you use Windows, the ASUS key bindings in ATK allow you to turn it on/off with fn+F9. Since I use linux I can only turn the darn thing off via BIOS upon bootup. Annoying.

Ok so i have the P4G going but i cant seem to turn thetouchpad on or off using the ASUS key binding (fn+f9). I am running windows 7 as well. Any ideas?

BrodyBoy
11-28-2011, 10:04 AM
The ATK driver is the one that makes those Fn keys work, not P4G. Do your other Fn keys work, i.e., if you hit Fn+F7, does it blank your monitor? And can you control the colume with F11 & F12?

You may need to uninstall the ATK package completely, restart, and then install the latest version.

JRd1st
11-28-2011, 10:30 AM
You do.need P4G for the RoG button to work, though. Not that its particularly useful or practical.

I use shortcuts for my powercfgs.

k2roo
11-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Ok i just installed the ATK drivers but i didnt uninstall the previous..i will un-install and re-install tomorrow..Thanks for helping guys :)

MrAgapiGC
11-28-2011, 07:55 PM
I was think the same thing.

Besite the monitor from intel. the over clock? is automatic or it is hardware.

If it is the atk I have the 1.0. instal. That will do.

fostert
11-29-2011, 04:42 AM
The OC via Turbo Boost is automatic, as long as you have ACPI power/thermal monitoring software installed in your OS, which will monitor your hardware temps and determine what level of boost you can afford within your thermal budget (TDP). You can turn it on/off via software (e.g. ThrottleStop), but you can't control it or any manual OC via BIOS in the G74 (unlike nearly every desktop).

k2roo
11-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Ok i un-installed the ATK package all together and re-installed the latest version, but to no avail, every other hotkey works except fn+f9. Any other ideas?

dstrakele
11-29-2011, 07:52 AM
Did you reboot after the ATK Package uninstall?

Do you have a Synaptics or Sentelic touchpad?

JRd1st
11-29-2011, 08:28 AM
Run hcontrol.exe then try the lights keys.

They do flash during post, right?

k2roo
11-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Yes i rebooted after i un-installed to which it prompted me to re-install, which i did. How do i find out wether it is synaptics or sentelic? And i looked for hcontrol.Ede in Run bar and windows couldnt find it...

JRd1st
11-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Sorry, typo

Should be hcontrol.exe

(Friggan tablet autocorrects when it shouldn't :rolleyes: )

BrodyBoy
11-29-2011, 07:51 PM
How do i find out wether it is synaptics or sentelic?

Open Device Manager (Start button -> type "device" in the search bar -> select Device Manager from the pop-up list)
Click on the "Mouse and other pointing devices" section to expand it
The "friendly name" of your touchpad will be shown, and that will indicate whether it's Sentelic or Synaptics
Beware: If you've never changed the driver, this info will be correct. If you have already installed a different driver, that info will only reflect the driver manufacturer...so it can be wrong. If that's the case, click on the "Details" tab and get the hardware ID from the drop-down list.

pepeniva
11-30-2011, 12:14 AM
newly laptop and already fail on button, you should have contacted the asus, i know its easy and yea its minor but yea its minor and asus cant even fix it.

k2roo
12-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Open Device Manager (Start button -> type "device" in the search bar -> select Device Manager from the pop-up list)
Click on the "Mouse and other pointing devices" section to expand it
The "friendly name" of your touchpad will be shown, and that will indicate whether it's Sentelic or Synaptics
Beware: If you've never changed the driver, this info will be correct. If you have already installed a different driver, that info will only reflect the driver manufacturer...so it can be wrong. If that's the case, click on the "Details" tab and get the hardware ID from the drop-down list.

I tried this and it still doesnt tell me what touchpad i have. It says 'PS2 compatible mouse'

k2roo
12-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Ok...fixed.The PS2 driver was a Microsoft driver and installed when i reformatted and updated. I tried to remove the driver but it would not let me. I then downloaded the latest touchpad driver from asus and went to device manager to update the driver, when i selected the file i wanted it to update from, it still wouldnt let me. So i said stuff it, and just ran the executable. It then informed me to restart and when it reloaded to desktop it came up with a little box saying there was an error and to install the correct driver, i paused for a second and swore, and then i pressed fn+f9 and BAM!!!!!! I am now able to turn the touchpad on and off, it was just microsoft trying to fu$*ing hijack everything and i now know its a sentelic touchpad. Thanks for all your hints and tips guys.

BrodyBoy
12-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Sorry I missed your earlier post in time to explain how to determine your touchpad brand. As you discovered, if there's no brand-specific driver installed yet, you just see the generic Microsoft driver. For future reference, you can look in the "Details" tab (in Device Manager) to find the hardware ID when unsure about installed devices.

Based on your description, it sounds like your Sentelic driver may not be properly installed. To avoid problems with it, you might consider uninstalling (I know, I know...!) and reinstalling when you get a chance.