PDA

View Full Version : G74sx Bios Password

ElmerFudd
06-15-2015, 11:19 PM
This is getting very tiresome, I am looking to never buying ASUS again because of this issue with the Bios password. SSD is fried after trying to restore the win 7 Home prem 64 bit. Asus want 400 + for a new SSD when I know I can get them for less than half that, and I can load Windows my self. Never has a password been entered on this computer, but yet there it is. Great laptop no issue until now. Really sick of this. This laptop is not stolen bought at a Canex retail store in Petawawa on DND property so, I do not see what the problem is. Send it to my email don't care just need one so I can get it to boot from CD/DVD what is the problem ??? :mad:

cl-Albert
06-16-2015, 12:16 AM
If the bios password does not prevent you from booting up, try tapping 'ESC' a couple times (do not continue tapping 'ESC' or you may miss the boot menu) to see the ASUS logo and get a boot menu to boot to CD.

Otherwise, you may need to send back the notebook to ASUS to clear the bios password (for a fee of course), but you don't need to buy a new SSD from ASUS (I'm not even aware ASUS is able to sell you an SSD upgrade), so hopefully the cost will not be too high to just clear the bios password if you prefer to go this route.

You may want to also remove the SSD or stick in another hard drive, just to make sure the password does not follow the drive instead of the notebook.

Hope this helps.

ElmerFudd
06-16-2015, 08:45 PM
I had a friend who has an image of the SW model, put it on a new SSD and with a few updates it is working. ASUS should have never put the password on in the first place. Why would they charge you a fee for something they did that was illegal in the first place ? Once a person buys your product, NEWS FLASH it is no longer yours. But thank you all the same for the info. And no the esc did not work but thx.

cl-Albert
06-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Yes, ASUS should not be installing any bios passwords for new units shipped from the factory, so not sure what happened to your particular unit if you didn't install a password.

Glad you could find a workaround anyway, and thanks for the feedback.