PDA

View Full Version : G74SX Review on CNET

JRd1st
11-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Without further ado - http://www.cnet.com.au/asus-g74sx-339326013.htm

JRd1st
11-28-2011, 07:38 PM
I wonder where you can buy replacement trackpads?

fostert
11-29-2011, 04:35 AM
Nice honest review. Good to see they agree with everyone on these forums about the useless-ware installed on the thing. Still don't understand why the sentelic pads suck (never had issues with mine, but I don't do all the fancy gestures with it either). And is the sound really that bad?

I wish someone would pick up on the fact that the G74 has no dual BIOS (one main, one backup CMOS), which is a standard feature on nearly every performance desktop mainboard out there. It requires but one more square cm of mainboard circuitry, and would eliminate bricked notebooks because of bad flashes. I wonder if other DTR notebooks have dual BIOS?

Anyhow, thats on my wish list.

AQUASTEVAE
11-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Nice honest review.

honest, yeah. but i don't think it is to nice. if i would have read this review before buying mine, i can't say that i still would have bought it. it sounds like a nightmare! but the golden rule is a fresh install of the os, and then load updated drivers from the website of the manufacturer who made the part or software, not the manufacturer who made the computer. usually this relieves most of the problems, as it gets rid of all bloatware and puts the most current drivers on the system.

380mcn
11-30-2011, 08:18 PM
honest, yeah. but i don't think it is to nice. if i would have read this review before buying mine, i can't say that i still would have bought it. it sounds like a nightmare! but the golden rule is a fresh install of the os, and then load updated drivers from the website of the manufacturer who made the part or software, not the manufacturer who made the computer. usually this relieves most of the problems, as it gets rid of all bloatware and puts the most current drivers on the system.

+1!

380mcn
11-30-2011, 08:18 PM
i bought this g74 because of the bad forum opinions regarding the g73!

w1mnk
11-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Will installing the OS from the restore DVDs install without the bloatware? Otherwise how is this accomplished? Thanks.

dstrakele
11-30-2011, 09:12 PM
The Restore DVD's install an OS image as it came from the factory, complete with ASUS Bloatware. A clean Windows 7 install does not have any of the ASUS apps.

380mcn
11-30-2011, 09:21 PM
i think that any windows 7 version will do! even "pirated", when the time is come to proceed to activation just insert the serial on your sticker.
then, proceed to update windows, and install the drivers provided in jrd1st signature!

Boosted_R
11-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Spot on review, I don't mind the touch pad, but the speaker are just awful, wish there was a speaker upgrade available.