PDA

View Full Version : ASUS Tech support needed - Where to get G74 secondary HDD cable ?

ScottinSoCal
11-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Based on this message thread:
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5198-ASUS-G74-2nd-Hard-Drive-Caddy-and-Cable&highlight=hard+drive+cable
I believe my laptop should have the second hard drive cable. ASUS tech support disagrees - repeatedly, for over an hour. I'm not going to waste any more time arguing the point, I'll buy the stupid thing, but they keep referring me to the ASUS estore to get it. The problem there is the ASUS estore doesn't sell this cable. I know, I called. ASUS tech support can't/won't provide me with a part number. A search on the store website shows nothing but the caddy, and I don't need the caddy. I have one. I need the cable. The estore employee (who was considerably more courteous and helpful than the tech support people) also can't find one to sell me.

Where can I get this cable? I'd obviously appreciate a response from someone associated with ASUS, but anyone who can tell me where I can get this thing would be appreciated. I bought this model so I could install an SSD. I've got the SSD, but can't hook it up.

JRd1st
11-28-2011, 08:16 PM
If Chastity woild deign to read a pm from a regular customer she may be able to help you.

BrodyBoy
11-28-2011, 08:30 PM
To make sure you get everything you need, Scott, be aware that it's not just a cable. There's also a connector/PCB needed for that second drive. It sounds like you need that whole assembly, plus cable.

ScottinSoCal
11-28-2011, 08:34 PM
To make sure you get everything you need, Scott, be aware that it's not just a cable. There's also a connector/PCB needed for that second drive. It sounds like you need that whole assembly, plus cable.

The connector for the ribbon cable is right there and there's no room for a PCB - unless you're referring to the end of the cable where the SATA plug connects to the HD?

BrodyBoy
11-28-2011, 08:39 PM
The first hard drive connects to an integrated connector. The second hard drive requires a little adapter. I'll take a couple photos and post....

Here you go...this is the cable and connector removed together:

ScottinSoCal
11-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Excellent, thanks much.

BrodyBoy
11-28-2011, 08:56 PM
I just pulled back the tape and found the product sticker: It's this exact board, with this part number (http://www.asusparts.eu/product_info.php?cPath=67674_73347_222178_222179_2 22196&products_id=57794).

And here's the cable (http://www.asusparts.eu/product_info.php?cPath=67674_73347_222178_222179_2 22181&products_id=57726), which is sold as a separate part.

ScottinSoCal
11-29-2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks much! I've contacted the ASUS estore, and they don't have it, but they're placing an order to get it. Unfortunately, no ETA. The (still courteous and helpful) estore employee said she'll call me when she has an idea of when they're expected to be in stock.

What they need to do is get the same person hiring for both the estore and tech support. Clearly one of them is doing it right, and the other.... not so much.

Boosted_R
11-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Did you check box for it ? like in said in the other tread, its taped in the weirdest places........strange, no cable for you though, what model G74 do you have ?

BrodyBoy
11-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Did you check box for it ? like in said in the other tread, its taped in the weirdest places........strange, no cable for you though, what model G74 do you have ?Wow...where do they put it? In that box with the power cables? You'd think they'd tape it inside the drive bay, to avoid confusion.

ScottinSoCal
11-29-2011, 01:55 AM
Did you check box for it ? like in said in the other tread, its taped in the weirdest places........strange, no cable for you though, what model G74 do you have ?

I still have all the packaging that came with the laptop (even the plastic bags the cables came in) and when I didn't find it in the computer, I pulled it out and checked everything. If there's a hard drive cable in there, they ground it up and put in inside the cardboard.

irdmoose
11-29-2011, 04:18 AM
The cable should be attached and installed. The only thing you should need to buy is a drive cage for the G74, and not an internal cable.

BrodyBoy
11-29-2011, 04:22 AM
The cable should be attached and installed. The only thing you should need to buy is a drive cage for the G74, and not an internal cable.Well yes, of course it should be. But if it's not, you have no choice but to track one down somehow. There's no way to install a second drive without one.

ScottinSoCal
11-30-2011, 12:04 AM
The cable should be attached and installed. The only thing you should need to buy is a drive cage for the G74, and not an internal cable.

They turned that around. I have the caddy, but no cable for it. Fortunately BrodyBoy gave me the info I need.

Boosted_R
11-30-2011, 01:00 AM
Wow...where do they put it? In that box with the power cables? You'd think they'd tape it inside the drive bay, to avoid confusion.

mine was in a small zip lock bag taped to the side of the laptop support that suspends the laptop in shipping. Perfectly safe place, but not sure why they just didn't put it in the power supply box lol, and the caddy was already installed. I guess customers receiving and not receiving it depends on supply at the time. ASUS or any other company will never admit to this, but i guess some getting it is better than no one getting it.

yoloyolo
09-29-2013, 10:44 AM
asus hhd ribbon cable:
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4438

Tinksmum
10-15-2013, 02:39 AM
Looks like this has been a while, but you fared a bunch better than I did. After three volleys between two separate support numbers, I was told today that "that item is not sold to the end user" and that to get my second HD installed I would have to send my machine in for service! No joy on the open market, either. On ebay there's an Austrailian store that doesn't seem to have any trouble getting "part no. 60-N56HD1000-D02", but the shipping, OUCH! Has anybody else found a simpler solution in the invervening months?

Asus3ric
10-26-2013, 06:05 AM
This is ridiculous. I just bought a SSD and installed got it all setup then went to install the 1tb drive into slot two andddddddddd no go. I read the comments in this thread and found some other threads and this is just depressing. If I had known this I would have ordered a larger SSD. Why do they not have this part in stock... seriously.

Asus3ric
11-03-2013, 08:37 AM
ASUS has let me down. I will no longer EVER buy an ASUS product. I will NEVER recommend an ASUS product again. Support replies to me with "We no longer carry this product, go fuq yourself. Enjoy your almost two thousand dollar paper weight"

Eluzive
04-03-2015, 03:43 AM
Sorry for bringing this topic back to life. I had the same issue of not finding the cable on two Asus boxes. I went to the store I purchased the laptop from. They had to open two boxes before they could find a spare one. It looks like a bunch of these boxed units didn't have the cable in it. I am surprised Asus was selling these on the E-Store. I am still unable to find a spare for one of my other laptops. I have the original boxes and all too.

galinmcmahon
08-14-2018, 04:52 PM
Sorry for bringing this topic back to life. I had the same issue of not finding the cable on two Asus boxes. I went to the store I purchased the laptop from. They had to open two boxes before they could find a spare one. It looks like a bunch of these boxed units didn't have the cable in it. I am surprised Asus was selling these on the E-Store. I am still unable to find a spare for one of my other laptops. I have the original boxes and all too.

Any new leads on these cables? ASUS doesn't sell them ("Just buy a brand new ASUS laptop!") There are 2 on ebay for $90 for this $2 cable.

Why didn't they just use a standard SATA cable??????!!!!!!

Prajwol148
02-28-2019, 01:24 PM
please tell me where I can buy this? I am in great problem because I am stucked with only 256 GB ssd unless I spend around $300 for SSD (in my country)
please help

The first hard drive connects to an integrated connector. The second hard drive requires a little adapter. I'll take a couple photos and post....

Here you go...this is the cable and connector removed together:

galinmcmahon
02-28-2019, 02:32 PM
please tell me where I can buy this? I am in great problem because I am stucked with only 256 GB ssd unless I spend around $300 for SSD (in my country)
please help

You can usually find one on ebay for about $90 US. I bought one of the DVD tray adapters that holds a 2nd hard drive and it was only about $10. It might not be quite as fast but $90 is too much to spend on this sluggish old dog of a computer.