PDA

View Full Version : G74SX Case Problem.

muthurs
11-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Well... my laptop has a new issue and that would be that it is making a lot of noise when I'm touching the wrist rest on the right side where the model sticker is. I don't know what to do. Can I fix this anyhow?

BrodyBoy
11-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Do you mean the top cover has some "give" in that spot and pressure makes it wiggle a bit?

muthurs
11-28-2011, 09:34 PM
I mean that on the right side of the touchpad/ left side of the sticker there is something like a gap which unde pressure makes a CLACK noise that drives me crazy.

muthurs
11-28-2011, 09:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y3Ja1Yn_o4&feature=feedu that's the clack I'm talking about.

BrodyBoy
11-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Along the front edge, the top cover has a lot of attachments to the chassis. There are little plastic clips all along the edge, and then 6-7 screws to secure it. If any of these are not snug, it'll create a gap and the top cover has some wiggle. Try peek along the gap with a flashlight to make sure nothing is actually stuck in there.....there's really nothing in that area except an audio cable, and it's unlikely that got so dislocated.

After confirming that there's no physical obstruction, squeeze the area ((i.e., squeeze the top cover and chassis together) to see if you can get the clips to snap. They have a very positive "click" when they do, so you'll know when they've closed.

TO check the screws that secure that area, turn the laptop over and remove the back panel. (Turn it off first! :)) Tighten the three circled screws, two of which are for the Drive 1 caddy:

EDIT: Just to be clear, most of the hard drive caddy screws are also chassis screws....they must be present and tightened to fully secure the top cover along the front edge and in the palmrest/touchpad area. If any of them are not present, that area can feel noticeably "loose."