PDA

View Full Version : Loving my new G74Sx BUT

FenrirMH
11-29-2011, 01:30 AM
Hey fellow ROG users :o

I am now the proud owner of a sexy as :cool: stealth like G74Sx, had it nearly 3 weeks and I'm already seeing issues, mainly that I keep getting explorer.exe has stopped working errors (mainly from just opening my dropbox folder, any folder in fact, simply refreshing the desktop, basically anything I do seems to make explorer.exe stop working and restart) and that some of my keyboard shortcuts no longer work, mainly the keyboard illumination (fn + F3 / F4). My Current BIOS is 201 and my current ATK driver is 1.0.0.3 and thanks to JRd1st as well as Chastity for the updated driver links by the way :) all new drivers have been downloaded to USB already. My ? is I'm looking to do a Clean Install beginning next year (or sooner), but as I'm currently beta testing SWTOR (Star Wars: The Old Republic, which you can also test using Nvidia's 3D Vision as had to disable my Stereoscopic 3D as the character creation screens were out-putting 3D), I would rather perform a clean install after the beta has finished, in order to get rid of all the included bloatware and out-dated drivers, trouble is I'm not 100% sure how to go about this so a step by step guide would be most helpful. I know that I need a Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) ISO (as a Win7 disk wasn't included, as with all desktops and laptops now) so any help with this will be most helpful, I have already downloaded Microsofts Windows 7 USB-DVD Tool ready for mounting the ISO image file, so again a guide with doing a clean install via USB instead of the Windows 7 disk would be helpful too as well as the correct order for installing the new updated drivers (thanks again JRd1st and Chastity).

I am a tech geek, but I'm also a perfectionist and have OCD :D and I've always been told if your not 100% certain ASK.

I have also downloaded TCPOptimiser http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php as I have heard this is a nice little free program for tuning and optimising your TCP and IP parameters allowing better perfomance and speed. What are your thoughts on this little tool? Does anyone else use it?

Thanks

Also any help in runnig Crysis Maximun Edition would be ost helpful as Crysis and WARHEAD all crash to desktop after 5-20mins of playing. Tried using compatibilty using XP SP3 and Vista SP2 but they still crash. My Nvidia driver is the new Verde 285.79 beta, although Nvidia have just updated this to Verde 290.36 beta check it here http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/40043

Thanks again

ScottinSoCal
11-29-2011, 02:00 AM
My Current BIOS is 201

The current BIOS is 203, and it's supposed to fix various keyboard and touchpad issues.

JRd1st
11-29-2011, 02:13 AM
Asus web storage is knowh to cause that explorer error. Uninstall it and the rest of the asus crapwsre, too. :)

You should update to bios 203 using the easy directions in my New Drivers sticky. Also update to ATK package 1.0.0014

FenrirMH
11-29-2011, 05:39 AM
Thanks JRd1st, will remove the crapwsre after I get back from work later this morning. Already printed off your new driver thread so can follow your BIOS and ATK update procedures (brains al mush after a 12hr night shift). Hopefully that will help, I can post links to my dropbox account as it has pics of my currently installed software, if helps tell you what I should remove. The only stuff I've put on since it arrived is Steam, OnLive, Crysis Maximum Edition, Crysis 2, FarCry, FarCry 2, Starcraft + Broodwar, Starcraft 2 and World of Warcraft, oh and the SWTOR Beta Client (20.4GB) there's no torrent software, just VLC Media Player, MediaCoder, Dropbox, Evernote, CNET TechTracker, Cyberlink's Power2Go 8. EA's Origin Client, Adobe Software. But will try removing ASUS's WebStorage and other bloatware, see if that helps, do I need to remove ASUS's Virtual Camera as well?

Love the notebook, decided on the G74Sx over Alienware, due to the G74's better spec sheet, without having to spend 2k+ in order to get an Alienware machne upto spec.

Thanks again

Boosted_R
11-29-2011, 06:41 AM
Asus web storage is knowh to cause that explorer error. Uninstall it and the rest of the asus crapwsre, too. :)

You should update to bios 203 using the easy directions in my New Drivers sticky. Also update to ATK package 1.0.0014

+1 read bios instructions, before you attempt bios update, or you can brick it like many have already.

JRd1st
11-29-2011, 08:33 AM
+1 read bios instructions, before you attempt bios update, or you can brick it like many have already.
Definitely!

FenrirMH
11-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Hey have now updated my BIOS to 203 :-) and have installed ATK Package 1.0.0.014 after first uninstalling the old ATK Package. Now my problem is that after restarting to Apply the new driver, the system installs a standard PS\2 keyboard and a Microsoft driver. I can then download the KB Filter Driver from JRd1st's NEW DRIVERS sticky, I can then install this driver and after another restart go back into keyboard setting and find that the keyboard is installed as ATK 1.0.0.3 this seems to make no difference as the Fn F3 & F4 key still doesn't allow me to adjust the keyboard backlight :-( Did I miss something in installing the ATK Package, it shows up in my installed programs list as ATK Package and the version is 1.0.0.014 however how do I then manage to get the Fn keys working again and why is there a light permanently on which is located next to the CAPS Lock light?

Thanks

380mcn
11-29-2011, 01:17 PM
the few times i lost keyboard lights i installed the atk xxx14 without removing nothing.. seemed to work at least for me..

Jandus
11-29-2011, 02:26 PM
If you're a tech geek and a perfectionist, I'd highly recommend doing a total reinstall and starting from scratch.

I've done that on both my ASUS ROG laptops I've had and had zero issues. The two times I tried using the pre-install I ran into all types of issues - some early on, some later down the road.

Just my 2 cents. :)

JRd1st
11-29-2011, 02:34 PM
+1 I totally concur.

BrodyBoy
11-29-2011, 07:57 PM
If you're a tech geek and a perfectionist, I'd highly recommend doing a total reinstall and starting from scratch.
I don't even think you need to be a tech geek or a perfectionist. If you simply want a stable, reliable laptop, a clean installation is the best way to get it.

JRd1st
11-29-2011, 08:57 PM
It's not at all hard once you get all your drivers downloaded and know that you need to install the Intel Chipset driver first thing after windows is installed. Then the ATK Package then all the other drivers. You should restart between driver installations.

ALSO, except for installing Intel Turbo Monitor, stay away from the Asus driver disk. Everything on it is old and some of it is faulty.

FenrirMH
11-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Well I actually finish work for 3 days off tomorrow (Wednesday) so will have plenty of time to do a clean install and have all the drivers downloaded already, but as stated before I'm abit uncertain as to how to perform a clean install, I know BrodyBoy is currently editing a guide to help, but if you can point me in the right direction, I should be ok, it's the finding the correct and legal Wndows 7 Ultimate Edition 64-bit (x64) ISO Image file, thats the tricky part, so many you see online are torrents and would like a confirmed vaild ISO, so I know that if I do a clean install the ISO image is going to work, else I'm just left with a very expensive paperweight as If the downloaded ISO doesn't work wouldn't I then have to buy the retail edition in order to get it?

Oh and thanks for the heads up on that ASUS WebStorage thing JRd1st, since I uninstalled it I've had no explorer.exe crashes :)

BrodyBoy
11-30-2011, 12:33 AM
it's the finding the correct and legal Wndows 7 Ultimate Edition 64-bit (x64) ISO Image file, thats the tricky part, so many you see online are torrents and would like a confirmed vaild ISO, so I know that if I do a clean install the ISO image is going to work, else I'm just left with a very expensive paperweight as If the downloaded ISO doesn't work wouldn't I then have to buy the retail edition in order to get it?

If you want Windows Ultimate, you have to buy a product key for it. There's no way around that. The product key that comes with your computer is only valid for the edition that came on the computer....which I'm assuming is Windows Home Premium (because that's what all of them seem to have).

You can download a Win 7 Ultimate ISO and make an installer (or alternately, use a universal installer), but again, you would have to buy a product key to activate it, so that is essentially the same as buying a retail copy. It may be less expensive to install Home Premium, use your OEM product key to activate, and then use the Windows Anytime Upgrade to upgrade to Ultimate.

FenrirMH
11-30-2011, 12:44 AM
That hardly seems fair :( I spend nearly 2k on a notebook and it comes with Ultimate 64-bit I should be able to do a Clean Install and still have Ultimate. Nevermind just looked on Microsoft's Anytime Upgrade Site and to upgrade Home Premium to Ultimate will cost 124.99. Bit of a con, but saying that, doesn't bother me too much, but do I really need Windows Ultimate? Is there a way to check which Windows Edition I have by entering the code on the sticker under the notebook?

Could this be a vaild Retail Edition of Windows 7 Ultimate x86 and x64 http://www.ecrater.co.uk/p/12891539/windows-7-ultimate-32-64-bit-full-retail or this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Windows-7-Ultimate-Retail-Key-32Bit-64-Bit-/170738561759?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item27c0cfb2df how do I check the key he sells me is still vaild and unused.

dstrakele
11-30-2011, 12:47 AM
... I can then install this driver and after another restart go back into keyboard setting and find that the keyboard is installed as ATK 1.0.0.3 this seems to make no difference as the Fn F3 & F4 key still doesn't allow me to adjust the keyboard backlight :-( Did I miss something in installing the ATK Package, it shows up in my installed programs list as ATK Package and the version is 1.0.0.014 however how do I then manage to get the Fn keys working again?

Be aware the keyboard backlight keys do not function until you've logged on to Windows.

When you press Fn-F3 and Fn-F4, do you see a display of keys with "Brightness Down" and "Brightness Up" respectively?

BrodyBoy
11-30-2011, 12:51 AM
That hardly seems fair :( I spend nearly 2k on a notebook and it comes with Ultimate 64-bit I should be able to do a Clean Install and still have Ultimate. Nevermind just looked on Microsoft's Anytime Upgrade Site and to upgrade Home Premium to Ultimate will cost 124.99. Bit of a con, but saying that, doesn't bother me too much, but do I really need Windows Ultimate? Is there a way to check which Windows Edition I have by entering the code on the sticker under the notebook?
Wait....are you saying that your model already has Windows Ultimate? Then you can most certainly reinstall that edition. You paid for whatever Windows edition came on your machine, so you can reuse that product key for that edition.

To check your edition, click Start -> right-click on "Computer" -> select Properties

fostert
11-30-2011, 01:02 AM
If it came with ultimate, then you should be able to reinstall ultimate with your product key. Chastity has a link to a universal Windows version at
http://pcaudio.ath.cx/stuff/Win7_x64_InstallDVD.rar

Download, burn, and install the version that you are sure came installed on your laptop.

Boosted_R
11-30-2011, 01:28 AM
check under the laptop, you will see the product key, and what version the key is for. GL

FenrirMH
11-30-2011, 05:24 AM
Be aware the keyboard backlight keys do not function until you've logged on to Windows.

When you press Fn-F3 and Fn-F4, do you see a display of keys with "Brightness Down" and "Brightness Up" respectively?

No display, when I first got the machine I got the brightness UP and Down display, like the ones I get when I adjust the Battery Level with Power4Gear. After bout 1st week, must of been after I installed Far Cry the Backilght keys stopped working, was after i had installed the AMD64 patches and 1.4 update to FarCry or it was after I installed FarCry 2, can't remember which.

dstrakele
11-30-2011, 06:01 AM
Since you report no corresponding display when you press the Fn-F3 and Fn-F4 key combinations, I suspect something is wrong with the driver controlling these settings.

Did you reboot after uninstalling the ATK Package before you installed version 1.00.0014? If so, I would try again and disable any Antivirus/AntiMalware software prior to the procedure.

FenrirMH
12-01-2011, 08:56 AM
Wait....are you saying that your model already has Windows Ultimate? Then you can most certainly reinstall that edition. You paid for whatever Windows edition came on your machine, so you can reuse that product key for that edition.

To check your edition, click Start -> right-click on "Computer" -> select Properties

Hey Brody just checked under Computer > Properties and says my version is Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1, then I scroll down says Windows is activated and displays my Product ID.

BrodyBoy
12-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Hey Brody just checked under Computer > Properties and says my version is Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1, then I scroll down says Windows is activated and displays my Product ID.Good....then by all means, that's the version you should re-install. Your Product Key will be able to re-activate it after the clean install.

JRd1st
12-01-2011, 09:13 AM
@Brody, shouldn't he use ABR just in case?

http://directedge.us/content/abr-beta-with-windows-7-support

FenrirMH
12-02-2011, 05:34 AM
@JRd1st, I thought that myself and have downloaded ABR already, but thanks chap.

FenrirMH
12-04-2011, 12:06 AM
Currently downloading my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 ISO (3.1GB) and well I was wondering if I'm able to get the files for the ASUS / ROG images that appear when I start up Windows, as wouldn't want to lose these when do a clean install after xmas, any help or links be great, thanks.

BrodyBoy
12-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Currently downloading my Windows 7 Ultimate 54-bit SP1 ISO and well I was wondering if I'm able to get the files for the ASUS / ROG images that appear when I start up Windows, as wouldn't want to lose these when do a clean install after xmas, any help or links be great, thanks.
You mean those computer pictures? Sure, just download the G74 screensaver. (It's also on the Drivers CD.)

fostert
12-04-2011, 12:39 AM
Yeah, I too have those pics as my backgrounds for both Windows and Linux. Very sharp!

FenrirMH
12-04-2011, 12:40 AM
You mean those computer pictures? Sure, just download the G74 screensaver. (It's also on the Drivers CD.)

Thanks, Brody... Does it include the start up logo, boot sequence (the one where you press F2 to access the BIOS screen)

FenrirMH
12-04-2011, 12:44 AM
Oh and can I still mount this Windows ISO onto a USB drive? Or does it have to be a DVD or Blu-Ray Disc?

BrodyBoy
12-04-2011, 01:01 AM
Thanks, Brody... Does it include the start up logo, boot sequence (the one where you press F2 to access the BIOS screen)
Boot sequence? Not sure what you mean, but accessing the BIOS via F2 is a function of the BIOS....your Windows installation doesn't affect that at all.

As for your ISO, you can burn it to a DVD (the usual method) or to a USB device. Personally, I think it's a good idea to burn a DVD even if just to have that "hard copy," so to speak.

FenrirMH
12-04-2011, 01:14 AM
[QUOTE=BrodyBoy;47941]Boot sequence? Not sure what you mean, but accessing the BIOS via F2 is a function of the BIOS....your Windows installation doesn't affect that at all.

You know when you first turn on your notebook you get the ASUS logo appear on screen before the Windows logo appears, just wondered if THAT logo would still be there if did a clean install, I mean, I did buy ASUS after all ;) Make it easier will post dropbox link to video, so there's no confusion Brody... Luckily bought my G74Sx with me to work, I got Attack the Block Blu-ray to watch later :)

BrodyBoy
12-04-2011, 01:48 AM
You know when you first turn on your notebook you get the ASUS logo appear on screen before the Windows logo appears, just wondered if THAT logo would still be there if did a clean install, I mean, I did buy ASUS after all ;) Make it easier will post dropbox link to video, so there's no confusion Brody... Luckily bought my G74Sx with me to work, I got Attack the Block Blu-ray to watch later :)
Okay...got it....the Asus post logo. Yes, that's stored in the BIOS, so it's always there. :)

FenrirMH
12-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Update... Hey, having trouble with my Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 ISO I downloaded from http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net, but when I come to use Microsofts Windows 7 USB\DVD Tool for transfer to USB a message keeps popping up saying that it is not a vaild ISO file, have used Power2Go 8 to view the contents of the ISO file itself and it seems ok, see the enclosed photo http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25397683/2011-12-06%2010.05.25.jpg My ? being is it maybe because the ISO file itself has been modified before I downloaded it or is it just fake, but as it's direct from DigitalRiver, I would hardly see that as the case. Is there anything I can do to see if it is a vaild Win7 ISO and actually make a bootable BD or USB with it?

Thanks fellow ROG'ers :)

JRd1st
12-06-2011, 10:29 AM
I use UltraISO so I couldn't tell you. The win7 home premium iso is good, I burned it no problem

dstrakele
12-06-2011, 03:38 PM
When I first burned the Windows 7 Home Premium .ISO file to a DVD+R DL disc with Power2Go, my clean install failed during the hardware examination stage with Windows displaying a dialog asking me to install the CD/DVD driver. This confused me, since Windows was reading the DVD to get to this point. Research indicated this type of error can result from a bad burn and suggested trying a 1x write speed.

I decided to both redownload the .ISO and burn at 1x but I could not configure the lower write speed in Power2Go. I hen clicked on the "Advanced" button in the burn dialog and it brought me to a check box "Change book type to DVD-ROM". When I moused over the checkbox a window appeared explaining "Changing the book type to DVD-ROM can increase the playback compatibility for DVD -R/+R DL." Deciding this was a good thing, I checked this checkbox and the resulting DVD-ROM was successful on the clean Windows 7 installation. I can't prove if this actually helped other than just trying to burn the file again, but it is something to consider if you are having Windows installation problems using the Digital River .ISO.

FenrirMH
12-07-2011, 06:09 PM
@dstrakele will give it try, thanks, though not tried Power2Go to burn it just check the ISO file system, seems to me that the actual Windows 7 USB\DVD Tool can't mount a actual modified ISO onto USB, if it keeps saying it's not a valid ISO file and @JRd1st will actually try UltraISO instead, will that allow me to mount the Windows ISO onto a USB or even a BD-RE disc instead of a DVD? Thanks guys.

JRd1st
12-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Why don't you go to the Ultra Iso site and do some research? We aren't all Jeeves here.

FenrirMH
12-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Why don't you go to the Ultra Iso site and do some research? We aren't all Jeeves here.

Sorry chap :(

JRd1st
12-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Not a big problem, but sometimes people should rely on their own search talents iinstaed of asking other people all the time.

FenrirMH
12-08-2011, 01:02 AM
All sorted used CyberLink's Power2Go 8 in order to create a boot disc, thanks for the info dstrakele, though haven't tried the disc yet, so fingers crossed, have re-downloaded ISO from DigitalRiver just in case it got corrupted during previous download. It appears there might be a problem with the AVDP (Anchor Volume Descriptor Pointers) within the ISO, see here http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/11/01/use-the-windows-7-usbdvd-download-tool-with-custom-isos/ So going to dl this little tool and see if that helps, but that'll have to wait till after finish work, but I got 3 days off to chill :) Now if I can just get Steam to log me into APB Reloaded I'll be :D but I've always got War Inc Battlezone keep me occupied, well that and sleep, lol.

nebothepyro
12-23-2011, 06:47 AM
Hey gday guys, i also am having trouble with my backlit keyboard on my ASUS G74 sx. It has never worked for me so far, i have tried all the suggestions in this thread.

I updated to bios 203
I unistalled ATK drivers, restarted, turned off anti-virus, and reinstalled new updated ATK drivers (ATKPackage_Win7_64_z100008), restarted again and still the backlit keys do not function. No animation comes on the screen for FN F3+F4. Every other function key works with an animation on the screen.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

BrodyBoy
12-23-2011, 06:58 AM
I updated to bios 203
I unistalled ATK drivers, restarted, turned off anti-virus, and reinstalled new updated ATK drivers (ATKPackage_Win7_64_z100008),
That's an old ATK Package. Here's the latest one. (ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/ATKPackage/ATKPackage_Win7_64_Z100014.zip)

Kungfushun
12-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Also I had this same problem. After you reinstall it, it is actually on. Just use the FN-F3 or F4 keys to turn up (or down) the brightness levels. Took me awhile to search through the entire thread for this and yet it was so simple

AQUASTEVAE
12-25-2011, 09:05 AM
i never burn dvd's, as they are too heavy to travel with, and tend to get scratched and become no good. i copied my iso onto a usb drive, that i formatted to be bootable. it was faster and easier than the whole dvd iso game. installation went perfectly, and i haven't looked back yet.

FenrirMH
12-30-2011, 11:02 PM
UPDATE: Just backing up my Steam games folder, didn't use Steam's backup (way to slow), then be starting my clean install, got my Windows 7 Ultimate ISO on DVD and USB currently. So next day or so be starting my Clean Install :) Got all the latest Drivers on USB as well as some recommended Utilities and programs, to install after the long journey that is Windows Updates :(

Big shout out to all the help (JR1dst, BrodyBoy and dstrakele) The guides are a big help guys, thanks.

Happy New Year to ALL :)

FenrirMH
01-04-2012, 11:11 PM
UPDATE: Clean Install complete and my G74Sx is running beautifully, Fn keys now work :) Thanks to everyone with the help, also got a ROG desktop and Start Orb and now use RocketDock :) Hopefully the task I created will shut down my notebook in 53mins (had to leave for work, still downloading tho, how can WoW be 10.5GB) Still least it be done shortly, when I left there was only 850mb left to download. Also, since did clean install my speakers seem louder the screen is even crisper at full resolution and the Windows 7 ISO I downloaded was SP1 (even though DigitalRiver stated it as the standard OS), ended up burning it to DVD using Windows Disk Image Burner, worked beautifully :) Installed all updated drivers as recommended, downloaded IE9 (but use Google's Chrome browser, so much cleaner), switched off all unnecessary Windows software, disabled Hibernation, next up is too look through Dark Viper's Windows 7 guides do some tweaks. Again, thanks for all the help fellow ROG'ers.

We Adapt, We Survive

ralexander9646
01-05-2012, 03:00 AM
I had problems with the ISO that I downloaded from the ROG forum as well. I downloaded it 3 times with no success after creating a boot image onto DVD's, jump drives, anything that I could get my hands on. I spent half a day trying to figure out why I couldn't get Windows to install. I had to download the ISO from a different site as well (Digital River also I think) and had no problems with the ISO from their site. I can't tell you why I had problems with the ISO from the thread. I know that other people have had no problems but I highly recommend downloading from a different source if problems arise with the Windows install.

FenrirMH
01-05-2012, 04:06 AM
I had problems with the ISO that I downloaded from the ROG forum as well. I downloaded it 3 times with no success after creating a boot image onto DVD's, jump drives, anything that I could get my hands on. I spent half a day trying to figure out why I couldn't get Windows to install. I had to download the ISO from a different site as well (Digital River also I think) and had no problems with the ISO from their site. I can't tell you why I had problems with the ISO from the thread. I know that other people have had no problems but I highly recommend downloading from a different source if problems arise with the Windows install.

As far as I know, the ISO which is on this forum is just the Premium Edition, I needed the Ultimate x64 ISO as thats the edition of windows that came with my notebook, a quick search gave me what I needed on DigitalRiver, but having got the ISO file (X17-59465), found that it Windows wouldn't burn it either using Windows USB\DVD Tool or Windows Disk Image Burner, kept saying it wasn't a vaild image. However, I came across the old x64 Ultimate SP1 ISO (X17-24395) on another website and that worked perfectly. If you can always download ISO files (esp Windows 7 files) from DigitalRiver. Turns out Microsoft are sueing Comet (a electronics retailer here in the UK) over allegations of selling 94,000 pirated copies of Windows XP and Vista with it's PC's (read the full report here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2082455/Comet-sued-Microsoft-chain-sold-94-000-counterfeit-Windows-recovery-discs-customers.html?ito=feeds-newsxml).