PDA

View Full Version : Questions about initial start up

LimeyorYank
11-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Hello all!

I just bought a ASUS G74 Series G74SX-BBK7 on newegg yesterday and am very excited!!

I know when I first get it to make some recovery disks, but should I do a complete format and start from scratch to remove the bloatware? Or is this not necessary? Also I had read that certain bloatware is important, while others are not. (something about a piece of software that deals with overclocking?)

Anyway, just wanted to check in and see what everyone advises on first steps with a new G74!

Thanks so much, really excited!

LimeyorYank

irdmoose
11-29-2011, 10:44 PM
You could do a clean install of the OS from retail media if you felt the itch to, but it's not necessary. You can simply uninstall the unnecessary applications and keep on going. The recovery media set that you create will still have the bloatware on it.

JRd1st
11-29-2011, 11:25 PM
No, you don't have to do a clean install, but then you won't have that experience under your belt and you will always wonder what your notebook would be like squeeky clean. :D

LimeyorYank
11-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Ha exactly! Something will go wrong a few weeks later after it arrives, and I"ll go "meh..should of done a clean install!!"

So just to clarify: The recovery discs will have all the Asus bloatware thats needed? Or will I have to go to the website and download the specific programs?

JRd1st
11-29-2011, 11:35 PM
The whole idea is that the bloatware ISN'T needed. But you can get it on the web. I didn't bother with recovery diskc because I never wanted to recover to a bloated condition. lol

Most of what you'll need is in this post - http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5224-New-Drivers&p=38072&viewfull=1#post38072

LimeyorYank
11-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Ok, so do a clean install and then follow those down for updates to drivers etc.

Thanks for the help!

BrodyBoy
11-30-2011, 12:28 AM
So just to clarify: The recovery discs will have all the Asus bloatware thats needed? Or will I have to go to the website and download the specific programs?
As JR said, "bloatware" ...by definition....is not needed. It's the crappy, redundant, unnecessary software utilities that manufacturers pile on so they can have lots of bullet points in their marketing and flashy crap popping up on the screen to impress the unknowing.

But just to clarify: There will be a 25Gb recovery partition on your 1st hard drive, called "System Reserved." It consists of an image (a special kind of compressed copy) of the original factory installation and an autorun program to restore that image any time you want to. As long as that partition is present and uncorrupted, you can restore your computer to its exact out-of-the-box condition. If you choose to make a set of recovery disks, they constitute an external backup of that recovery partition, so even if you delete the partition on your drive, you'll always have a copy of the original installation.

Again, the recovery partition and the recovery disks are exact back-ups of the original Asus installation.....all the drivers, all the bloatware, etc., that Asus put on it before it shipped.

dstrakele
11-30-2011, 12:36 AM
Here's a thread that describes the various ASUS Bloatware apps and their importance to the system: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/380681-asus-utility-bloatware-guide.html. You can review them and see if there's anything you're interested in before the clean Windows install and give 'em a try.

LimeyorYank
11-30-2011, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the quick replies guys, its appreciated. Just want to make sure I'm good to go on delivery day!

LimeyorYank
11-30-2011, 05:11 PM
Another quick question: When I first get the laptop is it advisable to update the BIOS before making the recovery discs? Or do the discs, then do a clean install THEN update the BIOS?

Also with the clean install, how do you do that exactly? Is there an option with windows 7 to do that? Or is it a matter of just putting in the recovery discs?

Also the G74 I'm getting has 8gigs of ram, would you recommend bumping this up to 16 gigs, and replacing that right away? If so, which ram would you recommend?

Sorry for the noobish questions, I just want to make sure I do this right.

Thanks again

Jandus
11-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Another quick question: When I first get the laptop is it advisable to update the BIOS before making the recovery discs? Or do the discs, then do a clean install THEN update the BIOS?

Personally, I'd leave the BIOS alone unless you feel comfortable updating it OR you're having issues that have been identified as related to a BIOS update (i.e. the keyboard issue comes to mind)

Also with the clean install, how do you do that exactly? Is there an option with windows 7 to do that? Or is it a matter of just putting in the recovery discs?

If you put the recovery disk in you're just going back to where you were - it installs Windows along with all the bloatware. ;) You want to download the DVD ISO image, burn it to a DVD then boot up and go from there. I'd personally wipe all the partitions during the install and make 1 large one but it's up to you. A lot of people like to keep the recovery partition as a 'backup' of sorts. It's all a manner of personal taste. :)

Also the G74 I'm getting has 8gigs of ram, would you recommend bumping this up to 16 gigs, and replacing that right away? If so, which ram would you recommend?

Unless you're doing some serious video/image editing with the machine, 8G is plenty. In fact, most people out there really don't need much more than 4G. I'd venture to guess if you're gonna use the machine for gaming primarily and just general web use and such, 8G is totally fine. :)

Sorry for the noobish questions, I just want to make sure I do this right.

Nothing wrong with asking questions at all! We all had to start from 'scratch' per say, right? :)

Jand

JRd1st
11-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Personally, I'd do the BIOS first, that way if you brick the notebook and need to return it, you didn't waste a lot of time. Otherwise it makes no difference. Except I wouldn't waste the disks it takes for the recovery disks.

Go to my New Drivers sticky, download the Win7 HOme Premiun with SP1 integrated ISO, burn the ISO, download the drivers you'll need and put them on a flash drive or dvd or someplace then do the clean install. Remember; Win7 first, Chipset (Core) drivers second, ATK Package third, then the rest of the updated drivers, not from Asus for the most part, then Asus Apps NEVER (except maybe Power4Gear to make the RoG button work). ;)

You'll only need the Asus Drivers CD to install Intel Turbo Boost Monitor for the first time, after that you can get your updates from anyplace.

LimeyorYank
11-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Ah ok that makes alot more sense!

The Asus Drivers CD you mention, where does that come from? is that on the drivers link page? I will probably add the power4gear and the turbo boost monitor. The power4gear changes the performance options correct? IE to get it to overclock?

Cheers!

JRd1st
11-30-2011, 06:08 PM
The drivers CD is in the box, or should be. No, P4G merely adds some powercfg profiles and enables the RoG button to switch between them. Some people are going to tell you that P4G is useless but I don't think it's as useless as the useless button that the RoG button would be without it.

The unit comes with nothing to help you overclock. Turbo boost does some automatic "overclocking" within the limits Intel designed into the CPU, but it's not real overclocking.

LimeyorYank
11-30-2011, 06:12 PM
ah ok, it'll be in the box then (hopefully :D)!

Am excited to do a clean install as I've never done one before, and am nervous as all hell about doing the bios, but once I've done it, I'm sure I'll wave some fists in the air and throw out a "hazzah!" hehe

Cheers for the advice!

Jandus
11-30-2011, 06:15 PM
The drivers CD is in the box, or should be. No, P4G merely adds some powercfg profiles and enables the RoG button to switch between them. Some people are going to tell you that P4G is useless but I don't think it's as useless as the useless button that the RoG button would be without it.

The unit comes with nothing to help you overclock. Turbo boost does some automatic "overclocking" within the limits Intel designed into the CPU, but it's not real overclocking.

Not to hijack the thread but, question: Is there any advantage to using power4gear with Windows instead of just using the regular power management for Windows? I don't use any of the buttons to change things so I'm wondering if the utility would be advantageous in some way such as better power management on battery than the Windows 7 power management options?

Jand

JRd1st
11-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Read my instruction in the New Drivers sticky for doing the BIOS flash. Very simple and easy to do, just follow the directions. ;)

ScottinSoCal
11-30-2011, 07:36 PM
I don't use any of the buttons to change things so I'm wondering if the utility would be advantageous in some way such as better power management on battery than the Windows 7 power management options?

Windows lets you set things up for plugged in/unplugged. The ASUS utility lets you set things up for how you want the computer to run, regardless of plugged in/unplugged. I can have it on high performance either way, or quiet office, or whatever else I want. If that doesn't matter to you, then there's no advantage to the ASUS software.

BrodyBoy
11-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Windows lets you set things up for plugged in/unplugged. The ASUS utility lets you set things up for how you want the computer to run, regardless of plugged in/unplugged. I can have it on high performance either way, or quiet office, or whatever else I want. If that doesn't matter to you, then there's no advantage to the ASUS software.
That's not correct....Windows Power Management allows you set up all the power profiles you want, including using the same options that P4G uses. "Plugged/unplugged" simply refers to the two options you set within any profile to instruct that profile how to behave in either of those situations.

If someone doesn't need to be switching between profiles a lot, there's really no need for more than a couple profiles, at most. P4G and its button really offer no advantage or convenience to that kind of user.

380mcn
11-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Personally, I'd do the BIOS first, that way if you brick the notebook and need to return it, you didn't waste a lot of time. Otherwise it makes no difference. Except I wouldn't waste the disks it takes for the recovery disks.

Go to my New Drivers sticky, download the Win7 HOme Premiun with SP1 integrated ISO, burn the ISO, download the drivers you'll need and put them on a flash drive or dvd or someplace then do the clean install. Remember; Win7 first, Chipset (Core) drivers second, ATK Package third, then the rest of the updated drivers, not from Asus for the most part, then Asus Apps NEVER (except maybe Power4Gear to make the RoG button work). ;)

You'll only need the Asus Drivers CD to install Intel Turbo Boost Monitor for the first time, after that you can get your updates from anyplace.

agreed!

BrodyBoy
11-30-2011, 10:26 PM
Couldn't you also just download it from Asus' product page? I would think the one they provide online has the same modifications they've made to the one on the CD. I don't use that gadget, but I thought it was just the one directly from Intel that won't load as a desktop gadget.

matador
11-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Gotta say there is no CD of any kind in the BBK7 or BBK8 box.

BrodyBoy
11-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Gotta say there is no CD of any kind in the BBK7 or BBK8 box.
Seems like I've heard that before about the BB configurations. But not to worry, everything you need is available online.

JRd1st
11-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Couldn't you also just download it from Asus' product page? I would think the one they provide online has the same modifications they've made to the one on the CD. I don't use that gadget, but I thought it was just the one directly from Intel that won't load as a desktop gadget.
Maybe it's changed since then, but Chastity said that the only known way to install the TB monitor was from the driver CD. And I HAD to do it that way, too. Don't know why...

BrodyBoy
12-01-2011, 01:10 AM
Maybe it's changed since then, but Chastity said that the only known way to install the TB monitor was from the driver CD. And I HAD to do it that way, too. Don't know why...
Maybe it's changed, or maybe there's something about the SandyBridge chipset. I just tested on my N73 and the one on Asus' G74 product page (TurboBoost_Monitor_Win7_32_Win7_64_z104004 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/Audio/TurboBoost_Monitor_Win7_32_Win7_64_z104004.zip)) installed and works fine. I'll have to confiscate the G74 from my son to try it on that one!)

I noticed that the installation folder (as expanded from the Asus download), includes an application called "CheckITM" that appears to have an Asus logo. Maybe that's some add-on Asus requires?

(Now I gotta go uninstall this thing! lol!)