PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Docking Station

EScottH
11-30-2011, 05:50 AM
Hey all. I searched the forums and wasn't able to find the answer to my question, so I figured i would try posting here...

I picked up a G74SX yesterday after I fried my Dell Inspiron 1720 that I have used for the past 3 years.

I love the new machine so much I am thinking about ditching my desktop machine as well. The thing is, I want to keep using my 23" Dell SP2309W monitor when I am at home, along with my Razer Anansi keyboard and Naga MMO mouse.

Ideally, I would like to have an all-in-one solution for a docking station that has HDMI, Ethernet and USB 3.0 so that I can leave all my peripherals plugged into it and then just unplug my laptop when I go to work.

Anyone have any ideas or work a solution for a similar problem? Am I trying too hard to fix too specific of a problem? Should I just get a good USB 3.0 Hub, a short HDMI cable and a Cat 6e cable and just unplug those 3 each time I take the laptop?

thanks, in advance, for any insights.

Scott

nathank90
01-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Bump

I'm also looking for a docking solution for my new G74SX, I am using 2x 24" monitors for gaming and would prefer to not have unplug everything when I take the laptop away.

I've done some scouring on the net and the best I've been able to come up with is this:

http://www.skycomp.com.au/item/Kensington-Universal-Docking-Station-with-Video-and-Ethernet--Plug-N-Play--10-100--Hot-Pluggabl.aspx

I can't find anything specific from ASUS.

Do ASUS make a Laptop Dock / Port Replicator?

ralexander9646
02-03-2012, 03:42 AM
You know, I am really surprised that no one has responded to your thread with a good answer. I have seen threads asking a simple question that really shouldn't be asked and it seems that people will break their necks trying to answer them. Your question is a valid question. Maybe there isn't a good solution as of yet. I am in the same boat as you, I would love to connect two 24" monitors to my G74X but I don't think that there is a good way to do this. I can tell you that the USB 2.0 replicators don't work very well. With the recent introduction of USB 3.0 to the market, I am hoping that there will be a 3.0 replicator that can handle the bandwidth/throughput of the video and other devices connected to it. Please let me know if you have found a solution.

Thank you,

Roger

xeromist
02-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Maybe there isn't a good solution as of yet.

That is exactly the case. AFAIK the laptops can only support one output at a time so the dual monitor deal would have to be supported by some third party device which, as you mentioned, aren't good for gaming.

And I've not heard of an ASUS docking station either. From a practical standpoint all of the connectors are on the sides and the vents are in the back so no sliding into anything. There is no docking port on the bottom either so there's really nothing to dock with in a simple way. You'd still have to plug/unplug the relevant connectors.

greeblesnort
02-04-2012, 03:50 PM
That is exactly the case. AFAIK the laptops can only support one output at a time so the dual monitor deal would have to be supported by some third party device which, as you mentioned, aren't good for gaming.

And I've not heard of an ASUS docking station either. From a practical standpoint all of the connectors are on the sides and the vents are in the back so no sliding into anything. There is no docking port on the bottom either so there's really nothing to dock with in a simple way. You'd still have to plug/unplug the relevant connectors.

This is entirely incorrect. I've used my G74S with both an external VGA monitor as well as an external HDMI connection to my 23" in a dual monitor setup (in fact it's attached to the 23" monitor as I type this on the laptop screen).

The 560M is totally capable of running both without a problem that I've seen.

xeromist
02-06-2012, 05:21 PM
This is entirely incorrect. I've used my G74S with both an external VGA monitor as well as an external HDMI connection to my 23" in a dual monitor setup (in fact it's attached to the 23" monitor as I type this on the laptop screen).

The 560M is totally capable of running both without a problem that I've seen.

Aye, now that I think about it the 560M is just an underclocked desktop part IIRC so that would make sense. I know that some of the older mobile parts had reduced feature sets because they were built from the ground up as mobile which is where I got that assumption. Can it still drive the built in LCD when you have two externals? (meaning triple mon, essentially)

Just
01-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Have you found some solutions for your problem ?

Zygomorphic
01-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Have you found some solutions for your problem ?
Please do not bump threads that are 10 months old. If someone starts a new thread on this topic, answer that one. If you yourself have a question about this issue, please just start a new thread. We mods can always merge the threads later.

Just
01-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Please do not bump threads that are 10 months old. If someone starts a new thread on this topic, answer that one. If you yourself have a question about this issue, please just start a new thread. We mods can always merge the threads later.
No problem, I've created new thread, but after that I've found this topic and post here. BTW, last post was 6 months ago.

CaseyG87
07-19-2015, 07:09 PM
Better late than never right? Best Solution I've found is :

Satechi F1 Smart Monitor Stand with Four USB Ports and Headphone / Microphone Extension Ports (Black)

http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Monitor-Headphone-Microphone-Extension/dp/B00K5VP2SO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1437331344&sr=8-5&keywords=laptop+monitor+stand