PDA

View Full Version : G74SX Bottom cover (for upgrade) cannot open

xxTAKIxx
12-01-2011, 03:25 AM
Need some help.

I just bought a new hard drive over the weekend for my new G74SX and when i try to open the cover on the bottom. it wont open.

After I unscrewed the cover screw, i can only pull the cover by 0.1". it feels like the 4 corner is stuck or screwed on to the case. does anyone ever have this problem and if so, how did you manage to open the cover?

Thanks In advance.

BrodyBoy
12-01-2011, 03:37 AM
Use a quarter, or something about that size. Put in it then little edge slot right by the screw, and pry it up. You will feel resistance as the clips around the edges snap open, but they will release.

fostert
12-01-2011, 03:44 AM
Need some help.

I just bought a new hard drive over the weekend for my new G74SX and when i try to open the cover on the bottom. it wont open.

After I unscrewed the cover screw, i can only pull the cover by 0.1". it feels like the 4 corner is stuck or screwed on to the case. does anyone ever have this problem and if so, how did you manage to open the cover?

Thanks In advance.

That thing does click in quite tightly at multiple points around its edges; I have found putting my fingernails under the edge on both sides and pulling straight up does the job. The flat edge of a large screwdriver in the gap with a gentle twisting has helped pop it out too. If you're twisting so hard that you're afraid of damaging the plastic, then its too hard. The cover feels like hard brittle plastic but can actually flex alot: it will come out.

wanfeilwong
12-01-2011, 03:44 AM
This is normal, the panel is not only held in by that one screw, but by plastic clips that will pop out if you applied more pressure. If you watch the Tigerdirect review on youtube at 3:47 you will hear the panel snap open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpgK9UlNeBY&feature=player_embedded

xxTAKIxx
12-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks for all the advices. will try that and post result. Thanks!

xxTAKIxx
12-12-2011, 02:35 AM
finally got a chance to open this thing up. as instructed by many of your advices, i used a semi hard ruler to help open the back cover, indeed there are some kind of hinges holding it in places, but w/ the help of the ruler. i opened it, added in my additional hdd with no problem. Thanks for all your help.