PDA

View Full Version : Too many Processes

Steelrat76
12-01-2011, 05:51 AM
First off i'd like to start and say hello all and thank you in advance. I just recently (like 2 days ago) got a G74-Sx 3d laptop and all i can say is wow. It looks great, and so far works great too. My only concern is i am currently at 81 processes and am looking to bring that number way down. Is there a site or forum that can help me lower that number down or should i just google each process to see if i want/need them? I havent done a clean install yet but i have downloaded all the drivers from the sticky thread and have unistalled most programs i dont like/want. If needed i will/can do a clean install of windows as well as i also downloaded it from the sticky. Thank you in advance again for any advice you all may have.
P.S. i have read about 20 pages so far and this seems like a really helpful community and i'm glad i went the Asus route. ;)

BrodyBoy
12-01-2011, 06:02 AM
I wouldn't consider 81 processes a "concern," or a problem that needs solving. But if, for whatever reason, you want that number to be smaller, a good place to start would be to uninstall all the Asus bloatware, and any auto-update services that start with Windows and run in the background.

If you really want the leanest possible installation, you should do a clean install and limit drivers to only those that are needed, and only install programs that are really important to you. I imagine that would minimize the processes. But again, it seems kind of arbitrary to pick a number that you want to minimize, and limit your computer to meet that goal. You already said it's "wow." That's a pretty good metric, no? ;)

MPerni
12-01-2011, 01:50 PM
I got now, with some programs runing by myself, 110 aplications and just using 15% of physical memory, i also unistalled most of asus programs. But for me its running very smooth, many of the applications are from things i have installed!! But the best option would be what Brody said, make a fresh install and you will get less aplication. But eventually, i think so, you will get that number again or more.

Facus(GTti)
12-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Looking for some tutorial "tweaks in Windows 7", surely you'd find in any forum on overclocking. The tweaks always improves the system in a good %.

JRd1st
12-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Look for Black Viper's tweaks in my Drivers, etc sticky

WhirledNews
12-01-2011, 05:46 PM
This is exactly why I did a clean install of Windows, ahhh so fresh and so clean clean.

fostert
12-02-2011, 01:50 AM
I personally consider >80 processes as excessive, especially since it can quickly get out of hand from there (pretty much anything you install these days wants to be started at boot and become a TSR...). So do the hardwarecanucks
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/45811-asus-g74sx-a1-gaming-notebook-review-4.html

After formatted and reinstalled windows and put only the drivers on there I wanted, I was down to 35 processes, and well under 1GB memory used. Thats the way it should be ;)

Steelrat76
12-02-2011, 01:52 AM
i want to thank you all for your time and advice. I will try some of the things suggested here and see how it goes. Ultimately though the system is running great and i am very happy with it. This is a very helpful community, thanks again.