PDA

View Full Version : How can I turn off my touch-pad on G74SW ?

NeverUpSeT
12-01-2011, 03:03 PM
I use the function+F9 to turn my touch-pad off it's till working and I try to disable it from the finger sensing pad but it still working. I have a lot of problem with this. Can some one help me please:(

dstrakele
12-01-2011, 03:14 PM
What touchpad do you have - Synaptics or Sentelic?

What version touchpad driver are you running (as displayed in the Properties "Driver" tab in Device Manager)?

Do you see a display of "Touchpad Disable" and "Touchpad Enable" when you press the Fn-F9 key combination?

JRd1st
12-01-2011, 05:04 PM
You can also turn it off in the BIOS. Or, whenever a mouse is connected, in the Finger Sensing Pad tab under Mouse in the Control Panel.

fostert
12-02-2011, 04:48 AM
Yeah, you can turn it off in the BIOS alright, but when I do that on my G74SX it cans the keyboard too once it POSTs. Not good.

mightyix
01-20-2012, 03:52 AM
Yeah, you can turn it off in the BIOS alright, but when I do that on my G74SX it cans the keyboard too once it POSTs. Not good.

Same Issue. Here's what I've tried (none of which works).

1) Use the configuration tool under pointers and disable when there's a USB mouse. All I get is a mouse and a finger sensing pad working at the same time. I will take the additional action to "disable" then "enable", just in case it didn't get it the first time.
2) Plug the mouse in and then unplug it.
3) Try and disable for long periods of time when it senses typing. I regularly am in the middle of keystrokes and have the finger sensing pad activate.
4) Tried Fn+F9
5) Uninstall the drivers and reinstall.

The manual is uselsess since none of the steps work and the BIOS changes crash my machine.

I DETEST this touchpad and just want to turn it off.

I want it fixed.

dstrakele
01-20-2012, 04:18 AM
The reason I asked earlier if you have a Sentelic or Synaptics touchpad is you can install a Synaptics driver to a Sentelic touchpad and it functions, but cannot be disabled.

If you do have a Sentelic touchpad, try the Sentelic version 9.1.7.7 driver. It has a feature called "ASUS SmartSense" which disables the touchpad while typing, but rather than have a reactivation time, it configures a small circular reactivation AREA on the touchpad that must be touched to resume cursor movement. I find the default configuration of this driver sufficient to prevent any unwanted cursor movement or selection during typing, but you can also configure it smaller and change the position. It may also allow you to disable the touchpad with the Fn-F9 key combination.

Holy
01-20-2012, 06:31 AM
good to know

jasonmizrahi
01-20-2012, 07:24 AM
I use the function+F9 to turn my touch-pad off it's till working and I try to disable it from the finger sensing pad but it still working. I have a lot of problem with this. Can some one help me please:(

This is fixed with the Sentelic 9.1.7.7 Driver. I had trouble with this myself - particularly when I had a USB mouse plugged in. I was using the 9.1.3.5 driver which was giving me all kinds of issues with regards to erratic enabling/disabling of the Sentelic Touchpad. When I disable the touchpad now, it stays disabled and doesn't suddenly become alive again. When I enable the touchpad, it stays enabled.

Thus, problem solved. :)

BrodyBoy
01-20-2012, 07:33 AM
Hey, that's great you got it functioning properly! :)

Unfortunately, that's not a universal fix. Many owners have tried all the drivers with no success, and some owners don't see this particular issue at all. So clearly, something else is at play besides just the driver.

But if yours is working the way you want, don't change anything...or breathe on it! lol ;o)