PDA

View Full Version : Poor response from from F# keys?

Stringy31
12-02-2011, 07:02 AM
Anyone else having issues with poor response on their F# keys? I'm having issues selecting heros in Warcraft 3, F1 ad F2, F3 sometimes taking me 5 hits to respond.. mainly happening when the key isn't hit exactly 100% with pressure applied directly toward middle. I'm thinking this had to do with the keyboard hardware? I haven't had issues with any other keys responding :/

BrodyBoy
12-02-2011, 07:14 AM
Take a look at this post (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3076-G74SX-Keyboard-Issues-ATK-1.0.00010-BIOS-202-Available-%28SOLVED%29&p=44735&viewfull=1#post44735). dstrakele offered a great review of the basic steps for dealing with keyboard lag issues.

Stringy31
12-02-2011, 07:49 AM
I can try this however, If you read the thread you would see that the BIOS does not fix the F#/Pgup/Pgdn/rest of the top row of keys.... Its not lag.

If I push on the left half of the button i can seemingly click it 20-30 times before i get a response, but sometimes 5 on center pushes. Its impossible to deal with this when fingers are moving at around 110 apm.

BrodyBoy
12-02-2011, 08:09 AM
You seem to suggest it's the hardware itself that's the problem. If that's the case, it would probably be a good idea to exchange the laptop (if you're within your exchange period), or RMA it for repair.

JRd1st
12-02-2011, 03:31 PM
I can try this however, If you read the thread you would see that the BIOS does not fix the F#/Pgup/Pgdn/rest of the top row of keys.... Its not lag.

If I push on the left half of the button i can seemingly click it 20-30 times before i get a response, but sometimes 5 on center pushes. Its impossible to deal with this when fingers are moving at around 110 apm.
Try pushing the bad button(s) firmly and while pressed wiggle them in a circular motion. If there's oxidation of some sort causing the problem this may fix or at least reveal that. Oxidation on brand new KB contacts suggests a bad batch of keyboards, IMO.

dstrakele
12-03-2011, 06:11 AM
Do install DPC Latency Checker and follow the instructions on http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml to eliminate as much latency as possible. I believe this has a bearing on missed keystrokes.

Of course it is also possible for missed keystrokes to be a hardware issue.

BrodyBoy
12-03-2011, 07:41 AM
Of course it is also possible for missed keystrokes to be a hardware issue.
I'm starting to think it's time for me to rip the keyboard apart! ;)

I'm very curious to see how it's made, what the contacts look like, and why it might be prone to malfunction as much as it seems to. Clearly, some keyboard issues are BIOS and driver related, but doesn't it seem like there have been too many owners who just have particular bad keys?