PDA

View Full Version : G74SX SSD PURCHASE

Rsajkowski
12-02-2011, 06:59 PM
I would like to add an ssd to my laptop. I think based on what I have read here and elsewhere that an Intel ssd would be a good choice. My questions are would you recommend a 320 or a 510 and why? I have also read stories about another brand and problems with hibernation and / or sleep settings. Do those or any other concerns apply here? This is my first time to this site and I have already read about sound and touchpad improvements that I can't wait to get home and try. Thanks in advance for you help and keep up the great work!!

Best Regards,
Rsajkowski

BrodyBoy
12-02-2011, 07:37 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with either model. From all the anecdotal reports I've read, the Intel SSDs are proving to be very stable and reliable. (I've been using one for almost a year...very happy with it.)

I don't mean to impugn any particular brand that I've never used myself, but I've noticed as well that certain names come up more than others when people have SSD issues. Stick with any Intel, and you'll be fine.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Norsky48
12-02-2011, 07:42 PM
I've been using a Kingston HyperX 240 for a bit now and am very satisfied, no problems whatsoever.

WhirledNews
12-02-2011, 07:47 PM
If I were buying one right now I get the Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) 120GB. It has almost double the read and write speed compared to the 320, is the same capacity and is only about $80 more. Well worth the extra money in my opinion.

TeckTime
12-02-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm a new owner of the G74SX-DH71 which comes with two 750 gb Western Digitals partioned into for 4. Would I actually see any performance increases by going with an SSD in slot 1 and one of the WD's in slot 2, or can I just raid +0 the two western digitals that came with the laptop?

Rsajkowski
12-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the input. I was leaning toward the 510. I appreciate the confirmation.

BrodyBoy
12-02-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm a new owner of the G74SX-DH71 which comes with two 750 gb Western Digitals partioned into for 4. Would I actually see any performance increases by going with an SSD in slot 1 and one of the WD's in slot 2, or can I just raid +0 the two western digitals that came with the laptop?
The main difference you would see with an SSD upgrade are noticeably faster boot and shutdown times, as well as faster wake from sleep/hibernation times. There are also faster program loads, but not blazingly faster. An SSD also runs quieter and cooler, which can be important in a laptop.

All that said, the WD HHDs also perform very well. I'm not sure how much of a performance boost you'd see going to a software RAID setup.

TeckTime
12-03-2011, 03:52 AM
The main difference you would see with an SSD upgrade are noticeably faster boot and shutdown times, as well as faster wake from sleep/hibernation times. There are also faster program loads, but not blazingly faster. An SSD also runs quieter and cooler, which can be important in a laptop.

All that said, the WD HHDs also perform very well. I'm not sure how much of a performance boost you'd see going to a software RAID setup.

Thanks Brody, I'll hold off on the SSD for now; the intel chipset within our model does not have hardware RAID, we would have to use a software setup?

BrodyBoy
12-03-2011, 05:34 AM
Thanks Brody, I'll hold off on the SSD for now; the intel chipset within our model does not have hardware RAID, we would have to use a software setup?
No hardware RAID. I don't know enough about hardware RAID to know if that's a limitation of the chipset or the Asus BIOS. I just know that other have looked into this and discovered they're limited to software RAID.

jdx2012
12-03-2011, 07:40 PM
I have an OCZ Vertex 3 120gb and I am very happy so far. Shutdown is like 3 seconds, boot up to windows to go on the internet is as fast as 15 seconds. I play LOTRO and other MMO's and my in-game load times are absolutely phenominal!

WhirledNews
12-03-2011, 09:07 PM
I have an Intel X-25M and I love it, did a clean install of Windows 7 HP 64 and boots shutsdown in about the same time as jjdx2012's post and is very snappy. I would recommend an SSD for a boot drive any day, I will probably never have another HDD for my OS.

kouotsu
12-03-2011, 09:50 PM
I have an OCZ Agility 3 120GB and it works very well. SATA 3 SSD's were having a lot of issues since it's new, but OCZ's new firmware is completely stable as far as I can tell. I had gotten it like 99% stable beforehand, maybe getting a BSOD once every month or two. I just updated to the new firmware so I have no way of telling if that rare BSOD is fixed or not, only time will tell.

ther1pp3r
12-14-2011, 04:50 PM
I have an OCZ Agility 3 120GB and it works very well. SATA 3 SSD's were having a lot of issues since it's new, but OCZ's new firmware is completely stable as far as I can tell. I had gotten it like 99% stable beforehand, maybe getting a BSOD once every month or two. I just updated to the new firmware so I have no way of telling if that rare BSOD is fixed or not, only time will tell.

I have the 240 GB version of that same drive, but after I used Clonezilla to clone my system drive, the SSD has disappeared from my BIOS, and isn't bootable. It is visible through a USB-SATA dock. I notice that the drive does not have system characteristics, so i wonder if i did something wrong with my cloning.

Would tell a bit about how you went about integrating the SSD into your system (especially if you cloned, rather than clean installed)?

Thanks,

ther1pp3r

MPerni
12-14-2011, 04:59 PM
I have the crucial m4 256 GB Sata III and it works great, 4 weeks from now and never get any BSOD or any problem.

BrodyBoy
12-14-2011, 07:34 PM
I have the 240 GB version of that same drive, but after I used Clonezilla to clone my system drive, the SSD has disappeared from my BIOS, and isn't bootable. It is visible through a USB-SATA dock. I notice that the drive does not have system characteristics, so i wonder if i did something wrong with my cloning.
Do you still have your original system drive, so that you can clone it again?

I would reinstall that one, make sure it still works (boots properly), then use Window itself to clone the system.

In Disk Management, shrink the C: drive to make sure it isn't bigger than the SSD.
Use Windows Backup and Restore to save a system image onto your other HHD or to an external USB 2.0 drive.
Burn a Windows Repair disk.
Install the SSD. (Preferably, use Dislpart to prepare it, but this optional).
Use the Repair disk to restore the system image to your new SSD.

After this process, you should be able to boot up just like you did with the HHD. After you know it works, I'd recommend removing Windows from the 2nd drive or formatting the drive.

Note: Don't forget to set the BIOS to boot from the correct drive.