PDA

View Full Version : First time posting with my new G74, and I already have a question...

AQUASTEVAE
12-02-2011, 09:44 PM
the screw on the bottom of the g74 is pretty loose, is there something special i need to know about unscrewing it?

other than that, i love this computer! i have been using it since yesterday, and don't have any problems with it at all. i have been reading sooooooooo many problems that people have been listing, and was quite paranoid. but now i have it, and it is extremely quiet, fast and works flawlessly. the screen is gorgeous, and very crisp. the keyboard is very quiet, and easy to use. even the trackpad has worked flawlessly. although i will have to practice the gestures.

i want to open it up to slide in the new intel wireless card and memory, but don't want to push the issue until i hear from some of you, like jr or brody.

JRd1st
12-02-2011, 09:57 PM
The panel.screw is loose? No biggie, I don't think.

When you try to open it, you need to pop it out. I pull the big screw and that bows the cover a little and the first tabs pop out.

You should check it our a little more before you start modding it.

Oh, and before you remove that Atheros crap, uninstall the drivers. WLAN and BT

AQUASTEVAE
12-02-2011, 10:02 PM
The panel.screw is loose? No biggie, I don't think.

When you try to open it, you need to pop it out. I pull the big screw and that bows the coner a little and the first tabs pop out.

You should check it our a little more before you start modding it.

Oh, and before you remoove that.Atheros crap, uninstall the drivers. WLAN and BT

thanks. i just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't hurt it to pull on it, first. i've been playing with it since yesterday. anything in particular i should look for and play with before modding it?

JRd1st
12-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Go to my thread and download ABR to backup your windows activation. Then you can restore it that way too after the clean install..

You notice any lag when browsing, eapecially?

BrodyBoy
12-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Congrats! I'm glad you finally have it in hand! That also means you're "in country," so WELCOME!!....I hope you're enjoying your visit. :)

I think I already posted some photos of the WLAN card and explained how to remove/reinstall, but I have plenty more! So if you have any questions or need any more help with that, let me know.

AQUASTEVAE
12-03-2011, 03:28 AM
Congrats! I'm glad you finally have it in hand! That also means you're "in country," so WELCOME!!....I hope you're enjoying your visit. :)

I think I already posted some photos of the WLAN card and explained how to remove/reinstall, but I have plenty more! So if you have any questions or need any more help with that, let me know.

thank you so much. it was a very long and treacherous trip back. but i'm here now, so enough about that. i love this computer. it is soooooooo quiet, and i don't feel any heat at all. the screen is absolutely beautiful. i also have a couple of questions for you before i install my ssd. i've got the intel card in, and device manager says it's ok. so i just need help with the settings.

JRd1st
12-03-2011, 03:35 AM
You installed the antenna wires, right?

AQUASTEVAE
12-03-2011, 03:51 AM
Go to my thread and download ABR to backup your windows activation. Then you can restore it that way too after the clean install..

You notice any lag when browsing, eapecially?

no, it seems really, really fast. i click my next site, and within a second or two it is fully loaded. it's much faster than my hp. and the sites look soooooo nice. no, thankfully i haven't noticed any of the bad things that i was reading about. which surprises me, because i haven't updated any drivers yet, other than the wireless. i'm going to update the bios to the 203v. but don't plan to do any other updates, as i'm going to yank this drive, and put the ssd in. speaking of that, i put the win 7 setup files on the ssd, using the crucial software, but it wouldn't let me go ahead and load win 7 on it. so i guess i have to drop it in before i can load win 7. it said it won't load on a drive that is connected by a usb cable. then after install a fresh load, i'll put all the new drivers on the fresh install.
did you take issue with my comment about the atheros crap? i got that comment off of this board or nbr. so i thought it was the consensus, but wasn't meaning to pinch a nerve.

JRd1st
12-03-2011, 04:06 AM
did you take issue with my comment about the atheros crap? i got that comment off of this board or nbr. so i thought it was the consensus, but wasn't meaning to pinch a nerve.
Not me . . . I don't even know what you're talking about. If you think Atheros is crap then I agree whole heartedly. lol

What bugs me more than the card is that we've known about that Atheros driver for about 2 months and Asus still hasn't updated it on their support page for this notebook. Really gives us a feeling of "making a difference" you know? :shakes head:

JRd1st
12-03-2011, 04:17 AM
You should put the Win7 installer on a dvd, NOT on the disk you want to install it on.

AQUASTEVAE
12-03-2011, 05:27 PM
i made a bootable usb drive with it on it.

JRd1st
12-03-2011, 05:48 PM
That shouild work but I would still use a dvd. Having a Win7 install dvd with sp1 integrated never hurt anyone. ;)