PDA

View Full Version : Need Help and Advice Asus G53 JW Up Grades....

goofinstine
12-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi everyone, well i would like to upgrade my G53jw. i love my Laptop, there is no latop like it, not msi, not sager. i have been reading threads, google searching, ask around for about 3 weeks now and i have am idea of what i can and cant do to upgrade my laptop.

things i would like to do:

1. SSD: would like to future proof so ill be getting a 3rd generation. im looking at the corsair force gt, or force 3 there are a few other options and well i would like some advice and your guys opinions.

2. ram: i have already installed 3x4gb 1333 for a total of 14 altogether, my laptop is still under warranty so i know i cant mess with the extra ram slot without a full dismantling and voiding my warranty. i still have 3 more years on the warranty.

question about ram: is there faster ram i can install or is this the limit?

3. wifi upgrade: i have been searching and reading and have deciced to get bigfoot networks 1103. i know that the wireless card i have only has two antenna and that the card i want to add has room for 3. so my question is, is how to add the 3rd antenna? where to buy it? and can i just put the antenna anywhere in the laptop?

4.overclocking: this is a bit scary because i have never done this, people on the web say that doing it to laptops is crazy, and even though is doesnt seem hard i would like to ask what you guys think. i would be overclocking the gpu and cpu. also, is it worth it?

i have a bit of a problem with the turbo boost, it does not work on my rig. i go to the asus driver site and is says that the turbo boost software cant be run on my rig??? weird stuff.

thank you to whoever takes the time to read and help me out. thank alot.

xeromist
12-02-2011, 10:33 PM
I like several of the corsair and intel SSDs so I think you really can't go wrong as long as you go with any of the best of breed. It really comes down to how much you want to spend and what capacity you need because any SSD is going to be faster than a spinner.

There is conflicting information on the memory. I think that it is restricted to 1066 on low end CPUs and i7's get higher speeds. Now my understanding is that the BIOS limits it as well so you might already be at the cap depending on the machine. I know that doesn't help but I guess just take all of that to mean that you should read carefully before buying anything extra.

Wireless signals are a bit voodoo to me. If you've ever tried to use rabbit ears on a TV you know this is true. However I think that the higher frequency of wireless networks makes this less of an issue. There is a thread from a guy that added a third antenna to his wireless card and he pretty much put it where it fit. Seemed to work well for him. YMMV.

I wouldn't bother overclocking unless you are actually having problems playing games at the settings you want. The cooling systems in laptops are designed with some headroom but fairly tight tolerances. On a desktop you can just upgrade the cooling system to something more extreme and clock higher but you don't really have that option with a laptop. Overclocking on a laptop could mean reducing the lifespan of components, possibly even those other than the ones being overclocked because the ambient temp inside the chassis will be higher on average. You might also get a decent little overclock here in the winter and then find that it doesn't work so well in the heat of summer. My .02 anyway.

BrodyBoy
12-02-2011, 11:12 PM
3. wifi upgrade: i have been searching and reading and have deciced to get bigfoot networks 1103. i know that the wireless card i have only has two antenna and that the card i want to add has room for 3. so my question is, is how to add the 3rd antenna? where to buy it? and can i just put the antenna anywhere in the laptop?
The third antenna is for a particular kind of network, one that employs three spatial streams. The vast majority of routers use one or two spatial streams. So unless you're using one of those routers and actually broadcasting 450Mbps 802.11n network, the third antenna isn't needed.

Antenna placement is very important to performance, so if you ever decide to put another one in (should you run that type of network), you may have to experiment with how you route it to get it to perform as desired.