PDA

View Full Version : Fresh install on G73JH-BST7 now turbo boost driver and monitor won't install

garr_bear
12-03-2011, 05:32 AM
I bought a recertified Asus G73JH-BST7 on black friday because it was on sale. I did a fresh install to make sure I got rid of all the bloat ware and because I didn't like how it came with the main drive partitioned into two sides for the OS, and another for data. I had almost filled the OS side in the first two days just from downloading my steam games. So anyways, I've got all the driver's installed but the turbo boost driver and monitor. When I try to install those two driver's it just says the equipment is not compatible, blah blah blah. The laptop did not come with a driver cd since the laptop is recertified, it just came with the laptop, battery, and AC power brick. I managed to do a little bit of googling and got the turbo boost monitor installed. But I don't quite think it's working right, it just doesn't look the same as how it originally came with. Plus when I tried to install the actual turbo boost driver again, it still says it's not compatible.

Halp plox.

dstrakele
12-03-2011, 06:01 AM
For reasons unknown to me, http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference&p=7062&viewfull=1#post7062 explains that this utility MUST be installed from the driver disc or you will get an error. Fortunately, the driver disc images for each ASUS system are also downloadable from the links in this post.

garr_bear
12-03-2011, 06:12 AM
I tried downloading that disc, but I think the link is broken.

dstrakele
12-03-2011, 06:16 AM
In that case, I recommend PM'ing Mason@ASUS or Chastity@ASUS to see if they can help you get the disc or download an image.

BrodyBoy
12-03-2011, 07:58 AM
For reasons unknown to me, http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference&p=7062&viewfull=1#post7062 explains that this utility MUST be installed from the driver disc or you will get an error. Fortunately, the driver disc images for each ASUS system are also downloadable from the links in this post.
I think that has changed, at least for the G74. I was tinkering with a new install a couple days ago and I was able to use the one on Asus' product page. Whether this works on a G73, I can't say for sure.

But in any event, garr_bear, turbo boost doesn't have a driver....only that monitor gadget. Turbo boost works automatically as the Intel hardware monitors all sorts of conditions and metrics, and then dynamically adjusts CPU speed to optimize performance. It's designed into the Intel hardware (and probably its own chipset driver).

PS: This is the gadget version that worked for me: TurboBoost_Monitor_Win7_32_Win7_64_z104004 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/Audio/TurboBoost_Monitor_Win7_32_Win7_64_z104004.zip)

I wanted to be extra sure, since there seems to be some confusion about which TB Monitor installers will work. I just reloaded a recent clean install on the G74 and installed the file referenced above. I can definitely confirm that installs just fine on the G74 and works like any other gadget. It has two sizes (the LARGE version is shown above!), and if you close it, it remains available in your local gadgets library.

(So I think we can officially retire the Drivers Disk!! :))

garr_bear
12-04-2011, 11:27 PM
ok, got that monitor installed and it work perfectly now, thanks!

But now a new issue is cropping up. Occasionally my synaptics touchpad gets all screwy. It'll lag or just fail to respond sometimes. I use Opera for my browser and sometimes it'll inadvertently zoom the screen in or out.

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 12:37 AM
This can often be caused by a seemingly unrelated driver. Check especially that you are using the latest driver for your wireless card. If it's the stock Azurewave card, use the Atheros driver posted on the Drivers, etc thread.

Also, it may be worth uninstalling and reinstalling the latest Synaptics driver. (Again, the latest is the one in the Drivers thread, NOT the one you find on Asus' product page.) Are you positive, BTW, that you have a Synaptics touchpad....not the Sentelic?

garr_bear
12-05-2011, 12:58 AM
I'm assuming I have the Synaptics touchpad. When I first got the laptop it had the synaptics driver already on it. I uninstalled the version 14 driver and reinstalled with the version 15 driver, that has seemed to take care of the issue for now.

But now when I go to try to install the chicony webcam driver, it pops up with an error message that says "USB2.0 UVC VGA/1.3m/2.0M WebCam". I've even tried using the driver that was linked to in the drivers thread.

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 01:29 AM
Most of the time you don't even need a third-party webcam driver....the Windows generic driver usually works.

Also....don't bother unless you actually use the webcam.

garr_bear
12-06-2011, 03:19 AM
I was planning to use the webcam...for pronz.

xeromist
12-07-2011, 05:21 PM
So what you're saying is that your username should have been garr_bare? :D

RockinRobinHood
12-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Pronz or whatever... That error means you're installing the wrong driver for your camera. There's several chicony models in use with the g series... Go to device manager and find your cam, if it's not under imaging devices (which it probably won't be if it's not working) it'll be under USB (Universal Serial Bus Controllers). It'll call itself whatever it did on that error you saw. Go to Properties, Details and Hardware ID, Look for PID_XXXX where the Xs are your cameras model number. Now make sure the driver you're installing is for that device.